News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: reassessing my list  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Sumshine

reassessing my list
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
This was my list at 1500:
Tzeentche daemon prince
wings
armor
level 3 psyker (1 tzeentche 2 biomancy)
Aura of dark glory

Fast Attack 170:
Helldrake

Troops 315:
10 marines
2x plasma

30 cultists
3 heavy stubbers/flamers

Heavy Support 580:
10 havocs 4 autocannons
10 havocs 4 lascannons
10 havocs 4 autocannons

I never got to play that exactly, but I did play an 850 game with the lascannon squad, the cultists, a min squad of raptors with lightning claws, flamer, and MoK grouped with a chaos lord with MoK 2x lightning claws and a jetpack.  Also had a CSM squad on foot.

Not everything got a fair shot, since I was rushed and didn't set up or play particularly well.  However, I decided that I dislike cultists and that because of the way wounds are allocated, having that many bodies in a havoc squad isn't points effective.

Here's my new list at 1850 (that point size, because that's where I can get most of the crap that I want in).  It's an unbound list because I'm taking 5 Heavy support.

Dark Apostle with MoS

Heldrake

havocs w/4 autocannons

Havocs w/4 lascannons

havocs w/4 ML and flakk missiles (flakk were extra points)

havocs w/4 heavy bolters

landraider

9 chosen
4 power weapons
power sword for champ
plasma pistol for champ (Using the chaos lord from Dark Vengeance as the champ)
flamer
MoS
Icon of excess
(shoving these guys in the land raider with the apostle) (do I even need to give the apostle MoS to get the benefit on the model while he's in the squad?)

CSM squad with 5 extra guys
plasma
autocannon
combi-plasma on champ
rhino
havoc launcher

CSM squad with 5 extra guys
2x plasma
combi-plasma on champ
rhino
havoc launcher

additional stuff I could use: cultists, 2 helbrutes, more CSM's, tzeentche daemon prince with armor, raptors w/MoK and flamer, Chaos lord with jump pack with MoK, and 1 obliterator.  Because I have the cultists and the helbrutes, I could use the data slate for the helbrute with cultist followers.

I may not actually have that many plasma guns, so I may have to make one of those squads melta instead.

I think that I'm 5 points over right now because I realized that I needed to put a plasma pistol on the chosen champ.  I made up 5 of that by switching a plasmagun to the autocannon.  The easiest way to fix it would be to ditch the flamer in the chosen squad.

Stuff I may be willing to buy at some point: 2 more obliterators, maulerfiends, 3 terminators, 5 more raptors, defiler.  However, right now I'm just trying to get the best functioning list out of what I have.

My likely opponents are space wolves, ultramarines, and salamanders.  (same player has all 3 armies)
It's possible that I'd play an eldar player.
If I travel I could potentially team up with the SM player against tyranids, orks, dark angels, CSM, or white scars.
To team up, I'd have to use a 1k army.

I decided that the benefits of battleforged aren't as good as having 5 heavy support choices (since landraider can't currently be taken as a dedicated transport for chosen).

The general strategy would be to try and pop transports first and second turns with anything that can, possibly switching targets to monstrous creatures if there are any or shooting missiles at flyers.  I plan to kit out my heldrake with the autocannon, because I <3 autocannons.  It sounds like it's not as good as the bale flamer, but I like the versatility of what autocannons can target/damage better.  What I do with the rhinos depends on board set up, but ideally moving and shooting.  Is it possible to shoot the autocannon out of a fire port while the rhino moves?  I was never sure if it uses the vehicle shooting rules or the infantry shooting rules in that scenario.  I think the land raider is best used moving 6 and shooting all its guns even if the rhinos out pace it.  The chosen squad is probably best used in the second line to counter charge anything that gets too close, but I'd also have to choose my targets carefully because of how expensive the unit is.

I'd be rolling on the strategic traits hoping for 3 or 1 (I have city fight terrain, so lots of ruins for the havocs).  2 is fluffy, because I'm going with the Night Stalker and Night Lords paint schemes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:59:10 PM by Sumshine »
"Destroying you is my anti-drug." Zeke, the robot from Ctrl+Alt+Del

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: reassessing my list
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
If you're going Unbound, why are you paying for a Dark Apostle? He's a pretty lame HQ unless you're trying to keep Cultists from running away. Just forgo an HQ entirely and buy yourself more guns. I mean, Zealot is okay, sure, but your chosen are still going to be wrecking things as-is. Not sure that triple-digit investment is worth it for a first-round combat boost.

For the cost, you might be better off with a sorcerer or a Hellbrute or something.

(oh, and autocannons can be fired from the Rhino hatch, though they count as having moved if the Rhino moves.)