News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Maximum Drone Overcharge  (Read 2284 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Maximum Drone Overcharge
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
Using a legal 1500 pts list, what's the maximum number of drones you'd be able to field within it? The drone types themselves don't matter, merely the numbers and legality. What would your ideal drone horde army look like?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
Re: Maximum Drone Overcharge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:55 AM »
I would say between 50 and 60 drones. HQ-2 drones for the commander, Elite- 18 for 3 crisis suits team, Fast Attack- 36 for 3 drones squad of 12, Heavy- 6 if you tank HH or 12 to 18 if you take 6 to 9 Broadsides.

That is a lot of drones. The problem is that they have low leadership. So, if I would do, an heavy drones army at 1500 pts., I would take 2 commanders (drone controller) with drones and a unit of 12 drones. But it is about 300 pts. per unit when fully armed. If your are facing an hoard army that might be good but otherwise limited against vehicle.

I tried a commander (drone controller) and 8 marker drone with him. They were a really good support. Iridium armor kept the unit alive and my suits and tanks were extremely effective against one unit every turn, BS 5, no cover. BUT, If I was to do that again, I would probably just take 2 unit of 8-10 marker drone and forget about the commander joining in and put him with crisis suits instead.

Never take shield drones, You want them to shoot a lot or make the others shoot a lot better. Shield drone by themselves are not worth much. One or two might be great in a big unit, but don't take a unit of them.

Offline ith

• I <3 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:42 PM »
Huh, best I can do is this:

1474   pts (26 pts left)
81   drones (54 mix & match, 27 snipers)

HQ   74   
Ethereal – 2 drones         

Troops   176      
5 Firewarriors plus a Shash'ui – 2 drones         
5 Firewarriors plus a Shash'ui – 2 drones         

Elites   276      
Crisis Team x 3 – 6 drones         
Crisis Team x 3 – 6 drones         

Fast   504      
Drone Squad – 12 drones         
Drone Squad – 12 drones         
Drone Squad – 12 drones         

Heavy   444      
Sniper Team – 9 drones         
Sniper Team – 9 drones         
Sniper Team – 9 drones

Pretty much took nothing but drones for upgrades and went for most drones for the buck.  With the points left over I guess I'd put as many drone controllers as possible on the Crisis suits.

Probably not the most effective list, but seems to be the most drones possible using only the base Codex rules.  Not sure how the Farsight book could change things.  Though, I may have to find my Taros book to see if there's anything good in there.  Heavy Drones for the Heavy slots, can't recall the price.

Edit:  Fixed a minor math error with number of mix & match drones.  Should have been 54 instead of 51.  Made it a bit more clear that the Firewarrior squad is 6 total models, 5 of them are normal Firewarriors, 1 of them is the Shash'ui.
« Last Edit: September 2, 2013, 02:24:39 PM by ith »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:24:57 AM »
Very nice. I'm not too worried about being competitive, it's more a different army approach for some friendly games coming up where it'll be beer and pretzels rather than shot at dawn.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »
Hmm....

Farsight Enclaves switches it round because you've got suits as troops - meaning 6 drones for 3 suits in each troop slot. Still two big drone units, led by commanders, for fast attack, and either sniper teams or heavy gun drones for heavy support.

Since you need 'top cover' against flyers, remora drone fighters are a nice option, too.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline ith

• I <3 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »
Hrm... well, how about one of every drone for something different!  Based on the current Tau codex and the current Taros book.

Total   1301 (199 points left)
   Drones   21 (3 mix & match)

HQ   365   
Commander Shadowsun      
Command-link Drone      
MV52 Shield Drone      

Commander R'alai      
Blacklight marker drone x 2      

Troops   194   
Firewarriors x 5 with Shas'ui – 2 mix & match drones      
Firewarriors x 5 with Shas'ui – 1 mix & match drone      

Drone Sentry Turret Team – 1 Drone Turret      

Elite   205   
XV104 Riptide – 1 Shielded Missle Drone      

Fast   352   
Pathfinder x 4      
Recon Drone      
Grav-Inhibitor Drone      
Pulse Accelerator Drone      

Sun Shark Bomber – 2 Interceptor Drones      

DX-6 Remora Drone Fighter Squadron – 1 Remora drone      

Heavy   185   
XV88 Broadside x 1 – 1 Missile Drone      

Sniper Drone Team – 1 spotter, 3 Sniper Drones      

Heavy Gun Drone Squadron – 2 heavy drones      

I believe this is the minimum number of points to get one of every drone from those two books.  Where a model could have multiple of the same special drone only one was taken.  Units are taken as base, so you could spend more to make the turrets have different weapons.  To actually get a marker, gun, and shield drone the three mix & match drones on the Firewarriors would be used for each.

I wasn't sure if I should include the sensor towers.  They didn't have Drone in their name, but their rules kept referring to them as drone towers.  Figure about half a Kroot squad and a Fortification slot for those.

Dropping the Forgeworld book, it was roughly 770 to 800 points for at least one of every drone from the codex.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:32:20 AM »
That's neat!  I'm very impressed with the verity that they've come up with from just Shield and Gun Drones :P
Play more games, paint more models...