News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Night Spinner VS Warp Hunter  (Read 5297 times)

Offline Farseer Ashair

• i Shall come forth from the webway
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar and Orks and Gobblins
Night Spinner VS Warp Hunter
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Hey all Just wanted to see what your views are on these Two... i love the look of the Night Spinner but what plays out best on a battle feild

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
  • Armies: DE, CWE, Eldar Corsairs
Re: Night Spinner VS Warp Hunter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »
The Nightspinner and Warp Hunter occupy the HS slot for a Craftworld army. Usually Craftworlders would take 2 Fire Prisms and another template weapon, traditionally the Night Spinner. The Warp Hunter came along and change that, and I now lean towards using 2 Fire Prisms + 1 Warp Hunter.

For the Corsair Army, its  different piece of pie. Nightspinners are now FA which basically allows Corsair players to field 3 Warp Hunters and 2 Night Spinners - night spinners providing long range (indeed entire board range) weapons and Warp Hunters being much more close and personal.

My Voidborn Eldar Corsairs

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:
Tau, SM, CSM, 3rd Ed DE (updating to 5th Ed)

Offline Farseer Ashair

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
I wasnt aware of the night spinner being a FA this changes things dramatically for me lol
my FA was going to be the new hornet... i was thinking of doing 2 warp hunters and 1 fire prism...hmmm

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:27 AM »
Check the IA11 when/if you have it :)

As with FW stuff planningis even more necessary considering the price tag!

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Farseer Ashair

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
indeed! but i dont wanna burn my entire load on a overpriced book when i could get some shiny new models since all mine are currently 4yr and older..

Offline Lother

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:39 PM »
For the Corsair Army, its  different piece of pie. Nightspinners are now FA which basically allows Corsair players to field 3 Warp Hunters and 2 Night Spinners - night spinners providing long range (indeed entire board range) weapons and Warp Hunters being much more close and personal.
So irregular forces with scarce resources like corsairs field more heavy armor than militarized craftworlds?
That's weird...

Offline Farseer Ashair

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
depending on the planet that could be the case and the skill of bonsingers

Offline greenmtvince

• I build rendundancy into lists with redundancy
    • Void Dreaming - 40K in Space
  • Armies: Sky Raiders Corsairs
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
So irregular forces with scarce resources like corsairs field more heavy armor than militarized craftworlds?
That's weird...

I don't think that was the designers intent.  I've been saying the corsair list is great for anyone trying to do a Yme-Loc Craftworld force.  You can get 6 Falcons, 3 Nightspinners, 3 Warp Hunters or Firestorms, and 1 (or is it 3?) Wave Serpents with Fire Dragons all in one FOC.  I mean, that's what, 9-10 BS4 Eldar tanks in an 1850 list?  Not exactly the fluffy, lightning fast pirate raiding they intended to do, but certainly something comparable to the Armoured Battlegroup list from Imperial Armour 1. 

Offline Khorne25

• Corsair "Exarch"
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
By the way, no Wave Serpents for Corsairs. Only Corsair Falcons and theyre expensive.

OLD Eldar Corsair Blog

Former armies:

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 12:10:58 AM »
That's weird...

The Eldar Codex is, IMO, a terrible representation of a Background Eldar army. First and formost, it completely lacks air support, which is the defining characteristic of an Eldar army.

At best, the Eldar Codex can be argued to represent a 'raiding' force, similar to the one which attacked both a Manor and an Imperial Stronghold in the Path books. It is not, in any way shape or form, an army, or even a detachment thereof.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 06:33:00 AM »
I keep looking at this thread expecting to see a discussion about the Warp Hunter and Night Spinner, and I keep being disappointed.  Let's get back to discussing that topic please, and leave discussions about IA11 and the narrative from it for the IA11 thread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:35:03 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Morachi

• Eldar snob...
    • When Craftworlds Drop By
  • Armies: Eldar... lots of Eldar
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2011, 08:16:25 AM »
There was once an argument similar to this between the Night Spinner and Fire Prism. Basically they are both niche, one brings direct killing power, the other is a support unit - think of it comparatively like an Autarch and their HtH prowess etc versus a Farseer which carries powers such as Doom or Fortune, one is used to bolster your ranks whilst the other carves holes in your opponents force.

Likewise, the Night Spinner and the Warp Hunter hold their own strategic and tactical importance. The Night Spinner is used to keep your enemy from matching speed with your Warhost, whilst the Warp Hunter is used to maneuver (withits shorter range) either into position to destroy the slowed enemy, or distance itself from a particularly nasty foe.

Synergy is the key with any Eldar force, those who do well with an aged codex know this is the case. Just make sure when you consider a unit in the FOC, to also factor in how it will compliment your other choices ;)
ERROR: Reality.sys corrupted - Reboot Universe? Y/N

Offline Rakshasa72

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 04:16:28 AM »
Not sure if this is a propper question to ask in this forum but, since this thread is about Night spinner VS Warp Hunter I was wondering about the effectivenss of the secondary net effect of the Night Spinners main weapon.  The counts as difficult/dangerous terrain effect.  Does this effect impact play or is it just a gimick?

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 06:10:31 AM »
I would say it impacts play a lot and is the primary reason for taking the night spinner. Remember it only needs to clip one model from a squad to make a whole squad move slower + dangerous. Hitting two squads of 30 ork boys for example would be where this thing excels. Also it can intimidate more inexperienced players into not moving at all.
A real big bonus is it prevents bikes from turbo boosting (its in the core rules section in bike movement) which can be a real plus if you're up against nob bikers, just keep netting them and keep them out of action all game.

My Warp Hunter should be here after the public holidays so then I'll give my opinion on that.

Offline Farseer Ashair

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
so in terms of gaming what would you say is most value for points?

Offline Morachi

• Eldar snob...
    • When Craftworlds Drop By
  • Armies: Eldar... lots of Eldar
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Seriously, this is impossible to answer. It is not a case of "better" it is a case of what you're going to use it for. For example, if you have a bunch of anti-heavy armour already and you're facing a swarm, the Night Spinner is the better option. This is also true for the inverse , per say if you have lots of anti-horde you'd want the Warp Hunter to take down heavy invantry and armour. In the same nexus, probably better comparisons are the Warp Hunter and Fire Prism - although they differ mostly in range, again then you have to consider your armies mobility in this instance.

Horses for courses. Don't miss the entire point of the Eldar army - synergy. Forget that and you've already lost.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:48:39 AM by Morachi »
ERROR: Reality.sys corrupted - Reboot Universe? Y/N

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »
I use both the NS and the WH and as has been mentioned, it's hard to say which one is better. The Warp Hunter has an unmatched potential for destruction while the Nightspinner is more for the 'trickery' kind of playing.

For playing against horde armies, i would probably pick the Spinner. It's high strenght and rending make it a viable choice, even against Space Marines. Personally i don't understand why people still use Prisms, they are clearly inferior when compared to the NS, unless you take two (and even then....).

I use the Warp Hunter in my Hybrid army, where it acts as an additional bullet magnet for the mech-wing. My opponents can either chose to fire at my Serpents, loaded with Banshees/Dragons/Avengers or the WH.

I have not read the IA11 yet, but if they didn't fundamentally change the rules for the Hunter, it's Flame Template still pretty much obliterates anything it touches at 2+. It can't get better than that  ;)

The Warp Hunter is more impressive overall and probably better at killing popular armies.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 05:12:08 PM by Katamari Damacy »
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline XavianBlacksoul

• Oh well, worse things happen at sea.
« Reply #17 on: January 2, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
Well i think they are hard to compare really. They are both very good at what they do, but they do very different things. I had not heard that they are fast attack now though. I take it that this is just when using the FW book, as the download rules from GW still say heavy.

Anyway the Night spinner has been brilliant for me. It really feels like an Eldar craft and helps the other components of the army play to their strengths. Against horde armies it is truly deadly. I like to place the template so it hits multiple units and being TW/L it hardly misses. It scares the bejesus out of them. Being barrage also means that cover saves become less important. It is less powerful against marines and such but still has an important role on the battlefield. They will role a one from time to time but the main aim is to slow them down. Take assault troops such as Berserkers or death company for example. Slowing them down can give you that little edge that you need to win the game. Other points would be because of the massive range and being able to indirect fire, you can keep it out of harms way the whole game. Meaning that you don't need to spend points on H/fields and stones.

The Warp hunter is a completely different beast. Others may disagree but i see it as an aggressive support vehicle. To be used when rushing forward while in tandem with serpents/falcons. The small blast is great but at the low bs and not being TW/L it can disappoint. It's true strength is the template weapon. Which can take out whole units in the blink of an eye. Link this with your onrushing vehicles it can destroy any speed bumps you find along the way. It is a massive target for your opponent so you need fields and stones, this makes it rather expensive.

Hopefully this helps although i don't believe you can say one is better than the other. It all depends on your style of play.

All the best.
90 percent of sci-fi is crud, but then 90 percent of everything is crud.
Thoedore Sturgeon.

Offline DeusXenith

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: January 2, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
At this point is is important to mention that as of the release of IA:11, The Warp Hunter uses the large blast template, not the small one.

Offline XavianBlacksoul

• Oh well, worse things happen at sea.
« Reply #19 on: January 3, 2012, 05:19:37 AM »
Thanks, i still have not seen the book yet. Having a large blast will make it a lot more effective at range. I still think that i would use it aggressively though.
90 percent of sci-fi is crud, but then 90 percent of everything is crud.
Thoedore Sturgeon.