News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k N00b Harlie List  (Read 4625 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
2k N00b Harlie List
« on: February 8, 2006, 10:47:21 AM »
Greetings and salutations people of the Harlequins Forum.

Since the Harlequins have fuelled the idea for one of the races in my WIP Novel (mainly the dancy style of combat and the love of music/storytelling, not to mention the flashy image ;)) I thought I'd try a themed list of them, since they've always interested me.

It's highly unlikely I will collect them (as I'm still considering whether to jump ship to Warmachine or not) but making lists (especially themed ones) is a hobby of mine :).

Anyway, before I come to the actual list I'd like to point out that one of the items (Phase Fields) is part of the theme, so unless they're really big point sinks I'd rather keep them.

2k Harlies
HQ
Great Harlequin Allaidro Istarria
Riveblade, Plasma Pistol & Plasma Grenades
Phase Field & D Field
Dread Mask
=142pts

Shadowseer Jovanna
Powerblades, 2x Shuriken Pistols w/ Bio-Explosive Ammunition & Plasma Grenades
Phase Field & D Field
=134pts

HQ=276pts

Elite
2 Deathjesters
Bright Lances
Phase Fields
=144pts

2 Deathjesters
Eldar Missile Launchers
Phase Fields
=154pts

3 Deathjesters
Phase Fields
Plasma & Tanglefoot Grenades
=214pts

Elite=512pts

Troops
(x3) 6 Harlequins
2 Harlequin's Kiss'
2 Plasma Pistols
=510pts (170/Troupe)

(x2) 8 Harlequins
2 Power Weapons
2 Fusion Pistols
Troupe Leader w/ Powerblades & Tanglefoot Grenades
=518pts (259/Troupe)

Troops=1028pts

Heavy Support
(x3) Venom
Fusion Gun
=165pts (55/Venom)

Heavy Support=165pts

Total=1981pts

Model Count=46 (43 Infantry, 3 Vehicles)

Any suggestions welcome :).

~MTWC
« Last Edit: February 8, 2006, 10:48:33 AM by Istarria »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Patrick Carter

Re: 2k N00b Harlie List
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2006, 11:05:22 AM »
Shadowseer Jovanna
Phase Field & D Field
=134pts

i dont think you can take 2 Shuriken pistols. it says...

Quote from: Codex: Harlequins
Harlequin characters may pick up to two single-handed weapons from the list below. In
addition, each character may be given up to 125 points worth of items of wargear, unless
otherwise noted in their army list entry. You may not take duplicate items of wargear for the same model.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2006, 11:08:07 AM »
Shadowseer Jovanna
Phase Field & D Field
=134pts

i dont think you can take 2 Shuriken pistols. it says...

Quote from: Codex: Harlequins
Harlequin characters may pick up to two single-handed weapons from the list below. In
addition, each character may be given up to 125 points worth of items of wargear, unless
otherwise noted in their army list entry. You may not take duplicate items of wargear for the same model.

Weapons aren't Wargear from my understanding.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: February 8, 2006, 11:12:33 AM by Istarria »
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2006, 11:29:23 AM »
Apart from you lacking holo-field on the Venom the list looks ok. I am not fond of phase fields personally, and never see the mreturning their points, neither do the Troupe Leaders normally, but if you want them; keep them, and let's hope they serve you well.

Not strictly speaking, no, but GW has been vauge on these points before, and it is better to err on the side of caution.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2006, 11:42:42 AM »
Apart from you lacking holo-field on the Venom the list looks ok.

Well, paying for a holo-field seems a waste of points to me, as it's an AV 10 open toped vehicle, meaning it's easy to take out anyway. However, I'm the n00b here, so if this is in fact untrue then feel free to point it out :).

I am not fond of phase fields personally, and never see the mreturning their points

Mmm, the reason I'm using them is because I'm basing this army on the aforementioned race, or specifically, a 'Sect' of the race that fight at highly accelerated speeds, and I'm using Phase Fields to represent this.

neither do the Troupe Leaders normally, but if you want them; keep them, and let's hope they serve you well.

Mmm, Troupe Leaders were only put on the larger units to give me more Power Weapon attacks, I personally didn't think they were especially worth it (since all you really get is extra skill, I'd prefer more attacks :P), so if you have any alterante suggestions as far as they go I'd apreciate it.

~MTWC

Offline Heatseek3r

« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2006, 11:46:17 AM »
  Not strictly speaking, no, but GW has been vauge on these points before, and it is better to err on the side of caution.
What's the reason to have two shuriken pistols anyway? I thought it was only MC's who could fire two weapons in the same turn. Maybe I'm missing a Harlequin-specific rule. :)
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2006, 11:48:57 AM »
What's the reason to have two shuriken pistols anyway? I thought it was only MC's who could fire two weapons in the same turn. Maybe I'm missing a Harlequin-specific rule. :)

They don't have CCWs, ergo, it's the cheapest way to get two one-handed weapons (and therefore +1 Attack ;)).

~MTWC

Offline The Ego-Man

• BANNED: And good bloody riddance. --- Hypocrite: Preaches what he doesn't practice
  • Recovering Spamaholic
  • I got banned becuase I was useless.
    • The Eldar Templates Crusade
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
In fact, i gave to most of my avatars 2 pistols, they shoot and they give you +1atk. in CC so...
I fought the law, and the law won!

Offline Patrick Carter

« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2006, 11:51:51 AM »
i assume because it's the cheapest way to get +1 attack, harlies cant get basic CCW as wargear.

I wouldnt bother giving the 8man units fusion pistols, chances are you'll be fleeting every shooting phase.

Offline Heatseek3r

« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2006, 11:59:05 AM »
not that it has anything to do with this topic but why doesnt they have close combat weapons?
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition."

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2006, 12:06:30 PM »
It is a mystery, most likely a typo, but it is simply not in the list.

Offline Patrick Carter

« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2006, 12:59:29 PM »
Actually i think it represents how elite the Harlequins are. Solitaires are the guardians of the Black Library, one of the most powerful beings in the universe (the most powerful T3 being anyway) Why would they use a basic CCW? They'd use wierd stuff that can decimate entire platoons in seconds.

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2006, 03:01:59 PM »
Actually i think it represents how elite the Harlequins are. Solitaires are the guardians of the Black Library, one of the most powerful beings in the universe (the most powerful T3 being anyway) Why would they use a basic CCW? They'd use wierd stuff that can decimate entire platoons in seconds.

I have to agree with you on this. I was thinking the same thing. Not to mention there are so few of them in a troupe that it would be easy to equip them all well, and maybe even a necessity to survive.
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »

I have to agree with you on this. I was thinking the same thing. Not to mention there are so few of them in a troupe that it would be easy to equip them all well, and maybe even a necessity to survive.

Then why do the basic troops have CCWs?

~MTWC

Offline Patrick Carter

« Reply #14 on: February 8, 2006, 03:16:37 PM »

To make them "balanced" i suppose. Although in reality Troupes probably would all be equipped with Pwr Wpns, just like Banshees. These are meant to be the pinnacle of the Eldar; only the best troops in a Craftworld (or the Comorragh) are chosen to be Harlequins and they should therefore be equipped with the pinnacle of Eldar technology. It even says in the codex
they are aided by arcane items of technology

Not the best example, i know
« Last Edit: February 8, 2006, 03:28:39 PM by Inert »

Offline celestial.dragon

• Incubus to the Supreme Archon of Commorragh
  • Tea & Comfits!
« Reply #15 on: February 8, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »

~MTWC

I can't really think of a logical answer to this other than my original post being completely wrong.

Although it still kind of makes sense for anything higher than a normal trouper. Why arm your most important guys with anything less than the best weapons if there are only about 50-100 of them?

edit:

To make them "balanced" i suppose. Although in reality Troupes probably would all be equipped with Pwr Wpns, just like Banshees. These are meant to be the pinnacle of the Eldar; only the best troops in a craftworld (or the Comorragh) are chosen to be Harlequins and they should therefore be equipped with the pinnacle of Eldar technoligy. It even says in the codex
they are aided by arcane items of technology

Not the best example, i know

Or that works too.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2006, 03:23:32 PM by celestial.dragon »
                                         W/L/D  (as of 3/10/06)
Lia-Isha Exodite World:    0/8/0
Harlequin Troupe:            3/38/0
Tau:                                 0/1/0
Pirate Fleet Isha:            0/0/1
Dark Eldar Kabal:            (Coming soon)
Wych Cult:                     (Coming Soon)

"Feeling lonely and content at the same time,
I believe, is a rare kind of happiness"

Offline chrsjxn

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2006, 10:32:12 PM »
The secret to making the Holofields useful is to always move fast.

Because they're fast skimmers, they can move enough to downgrade all hits to glancing.

So, they might not always save the models inside/on-top, but the transport itself will be hard to get rid of permanently.

And, if you're putting Troupes in the Venoms, I would put the Troupe Leaders with them, so they can have more punch and still be able to use the transport.

My 2 bits.

Offline rightfire

« Reply #17 on: February 9, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
my experience of playing against Harlequin with my Chaos (Slaanesh).

Solitaire is very, very, very good, a solitaire could easily kill my Daemon prince with riverblade and charging in with 11 attacks.

Venums will pop open like crazy, holofield or not. av10 opentopped just die so fast to anything. (my advice, don't bother with holofield, it will die, anything shooting at it will cause it to die)

Death jesters are kinda crappy, their initiative 4 is what killed them. Marines go the same time as them, and my Slaanesh stuff always go before them. (you might think they won't get charged, but they will get charged, any die so fast before they can blink)

The regular harlequins die to flamers like crazy, I wouldn't invest so much on it. (Yes, I use flamers alot, not just against harlequins, but anything)

The great harlequin is good, but no where near as good as the solitaire, but much better than the regular harlequins.

Harlequin jetbikes are actually pretty good, always spread them 4 inches apart. They actually get a 3+ armour save vs my flamers, which is why they are considered good. They have a 3+ armour save and a 4+ cover save, and they're fast, so invest in them more than the death jesters.
When you have fought over 1000 battles, all you see is death

- Dawn of War

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #18 on: February 9, 2006, 04:17:14 PM »
I deliberately didn't want to use the Solitaire, while he's a combat monster he's alwasy seemed a bit too über for my liking...

As for Harlequins not good against flamers, that's inherent, no way around it ;).

Venoms I have for some cheap and fast tank busting really, which is why I didn;t give them Holos.

Jetbikes I had considered, but I've always seen Eldar Jetbikes as overpriced, hence was reluctant to try the even more expensive Harlequins...

~MTWC

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 02:53:20 AM »
Venums will pop open like crazy, holofield or not. av10 opentopped just die so fast to anything.
  I found that to be true as long as I presisted to use them like I did Waveserpents or Falcons. As soon as  I changed the tactics and use I have not lost a single Harlequin in the Venom. It is all about how you use them.
  I always use the holo-field, and moving swiftly along the field they are pretty safe, hugging cover or staying behind buildings.