News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New guy - Needs help planning army.  (Read 643 times)

Offline youonlywish

New guy - Needs help planning army.
« on: September 7, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
Hello everyone.

I've introduced myself in a separate thread and consequently, have learned the rules of this forum. Unfortunately I have spent most of my time on another forum, who's rules are much more flex. It is refreshing to see a group of people commited to seeing thier forum have some sort of presentability.

So, I've decided to start up a Guard army. I have no previous experience with Warhammer 40k, but much experience with other games of similar nature. I have a gaggle of questions for the all-knower's around here, before I trot off and start buying.

After the questions, I have an outline

I have the codex and the rulebook. I've read through the Codex and some of the rulebook. The questions I've asked below are the result of not being able to find the information on my own, or not understanding something I've read already. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me out...

1) To start off, I'd like to explore my options in which particular regiment I'd like to design. I've chosen the Steel Legion. Can I make up my own regiment, as in, title and colours?

2) I've seen that, for a point value, you can equip certain people with different weapons. How do grenades work, as in, frag and krak grenades? Are they separate peices for the model?

3) For a tank to be usable (move and shoot) in game, I assume it requires a crew. When I buy the model, does it come with the crew?

4) In both the HQ platoon and the Inf platoons, they require an officer to 'run' them. I'm having a hard time distinguishing 'who' these officers are.

So, I have an HQ platoon, to run the army so to speak, with an Officer and his 4 guardsmen (which, as I'm told, can be basically any soldier... grenade launcher, melta gun ect... right?). It is led by an officer. In the Steel Legion, All I can seem to find is a Junior Officer ( http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99060105249&orignav=10 ) As far as I know, he would be a good guy to put into the Command squad of an Infantry Platoon, with his 4 guardsmen.

So, who would I use as a Senior Officer, for the HQ Platoon?

Also, the HQ Platoon is, or can be, accompanied by an assortment of support squads, including sentinals and heavy support, correct?

5) When the codex says that particular guys and vehicles can be outfitted with different weapons, are they included in the sprue, or do I have to buy them separately?

6) Is there a cheaper place to buy from, other then GW online?

I think that's it for the questions, for now... Until I don't get something else... lol.

I'll put together my plan for a 500pt army and post it up.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2008, 02:12:22 PM by youonlywish »

Offline Nihilanth

• My Gaming Blog
Re: New guy - Needs help planning army.
« Reply #1 on: September 7, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »
1) To start off, I'd like to explore my options in which particular regiment I'd like to design. I've chosen the Steel Legion. Can I make up my own regiment, as in, title and colours?
Of course you can. That's one of the great things about the Imperial Guard. You are allowed a great deal of customization with your army. You can also choose your own doctrines for it if you want.

2) I've seen that, for a point value, you can equip certain people with different weapons. How do grenades work, as in, frag and krak grenades? Are they separate peices for the model?
I've never actually used grenades, but I'm pretty sure they're something that you equip an entire squad with. Frag grenades provide some kind of benefit in assaults, and krak grenades provide a benefit when attacking vehicles I think. The rules for grenades should be somewhere in the main rulebook. As for modeling them, plastic kits come with grenades that you can glue on, but I'm not sure about steel legion models since they're metal. You may have to greenstuff them on.

3) For a tank to be usable (move and shoot) in game, I assume it requires a crew. When I buy the model, does it come with the crew?
Tanks are assumed to have a crew and you don't need to pay extra points or get any extra models.

4) In both the HQ platoon and the Inf platoons, they require an officer to 'run' them. I'm having a hard time distinguishing 'who' these officers are.
In the HQ platoon, you choose the officer you want. I use a senior officer. I'm pretty sure infantry platoon command squads use a junior officer.

So, I have an HQ platoon, to run the army so to speak, with an Officer and his 4 guardsmen (which, as I'm told, can be basically any soldier... grenade launcher, melta gun ect... right?). It is led by an officer. In the Steel Legion, All I can seem to find is a Junior Officer ( http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99060105249&orignav=10 ) As far as I know, he would be a good guy to put into the Command squad of an Infantry Platoon, with his 4 guardsmen. So, who would I use as a Senior Officer, for the HQ Platoon?
There are no definite rules on what a senior officer should look like, so you could convert one of the Junior Officers to look more... senior... by adding medals and things like that. Use your creativity. My senior officer is actually made mostly out of a Bretonnian Man-At-Arms from the Warhammer range with a tank commander's head and some IG weapons.

Also, the HQ Platoon is, or can be, accompanied by an assortment of support squads, including sentinals and heavy support, correct?
Yes. It's stated somewhere in the codex.

5) When the codex says that particular guys and vehicles can be outfitted with different weapons, are they included in the sprue, or do I have to buy them separately?
It depends. For plastic infantry models, like Cadians, they include most of the popular options. In vehicle kits, however, you will probably have to do some conversions to get the weapons and gear you want. They do come with lots of options, like dozer blades and the like, but on a Leman Russ for instance, if you want a hull heavy bolter you pretty much have to make it yourself. On metal models, there really aren't options. You just have to buy the model you want and then do a little work on it to get it right. Usually all of the special weapons are covered, so you just have to worry about little upgrades like grenades.

There are a number of different online retailers that sell GW products, but I'm pretty sure you have to call them to place an order. One pretty good site is The War Store which also sells individual bits (under Battlewagon Bits), which is a really good thing. Also, be sure you check eBay for models and bits you want, because you can sometimes find great deals there. Just watch out for what the seller charges for shipping.

Good luck with your army!
« Last Edit: September 7, 2008, 02:29:07 PM by Nihilanth »

Offline eek 107

• PROTESF
« Reply #2 on: September 7, 2008, 06:22:17 PM »
Hello everyone.

Hello! :)

First of all, excellent choice.  Yes, you can make up your regiment name, colours, history, anything.

Grenades aren't included with the Steel Legion models, but many players don't insist on grenades being shown on the model if you purchase them.  You can probably find grenades on one of many bits stores, which sell various components separately.

Tanks are assumed to come with a crew included in the cost for gameplay purposes.  The models themselves do have tank commanders included which you can stick in the top hatch (purely optional), but no seperate tank crew on foot since they're not needed in-game.

So, I have an HQ platoon, to run the army so to speak, with an Officer and his 4 guardsmen (which, as I'm told, can be basically any soldier... grenade launcher, melta gun ect... right?).

Right.

It is led by an officer. In the Steel Legion, All I can seem to find is a Junior Officer ( http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99060105249&orignav=10 ) As far as I know, he would be a good guy to put into the Command squad of an Infantry Platoon, with his 4 guardsmen.

So, who would I use as a Senior Officer, for the HQ Platoon?

Any Officer model can be used to represent any type of Officer, so you can simply use one of the Junior Officer models as the HQ Officer.  As long as the model shows the equipment you purchased for it, he can look however you please.

Correct.

It varies.  I think you're covered with most of the options in the codex.  However, the Steel Legion range lacks men equipped with Flamers, Meltaguns, Mortars, Autocannons and Vox-casters, so you'll need to do a few conversions for those.  They're one of the older ranges so aren't likely to have these gaps filled in.  Also, they're mostly one-part metal models.
If in doubt, ask here.  Between us we probably know what's in all the boxes.

ebay's probably your best bet, especially for Steel Legion.  Be patient though, I've found them to be in quite high demand so you might not save a great deal.  The likes of tanks and such can be significantly cheaper there, even brand new.

Good luck! :)

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Offline slargy_of_thor

• May the schwartz be with ya
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2008, 11:07:55 PM »
unfortunately you have chosen the steel legion (not that they are bad its just they cost you an arm and leg money wise) so a place i like to order from is...  http://www.scifigenre.com/viewAll.aspx?sid=O1XWUYOQU0YXLSP&nSubCategoryID=135&nExpandToID=1061

this site is great and cheap so  good luck with your new army
ya see the world dont spin to the beat of just one drum,
what may be good for you,
may not be good for some,
you take the good,
u take the bad , u take them both then you have,
my opening statement sit boo boo sit good dog