News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: How is 7th Ed treating us?  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
How is 7th Ed treating us?
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
In a vague attempt to breathe some life back into this board, I'm interested to know how people are coping with 7th.

Personally, I've only managed to get one game in so far, for which I used a DE list for a Maelstrom of War mission, and I have to say, DE rock!  The mobility offered by Reavers and transports (both of which can now score ;D) let me easily take any tactical objective I manaed to draw, to quickly rack up a lead in Victory Points which my opponent never really challenged.

Overwatch still seems as dangerous as ever, so I just avoided assaulting and I didn't really suffer from the change to flamers vs open-topped vehicles (only one ever got close enough).  My opponent didn't bring a Psyker, so I had no exposure to that new element to the game.

So, is anyone else fielding their Evil Space Elves for 7th Ed games, and if so, how are you doing?

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: How is 7th Ed treating us?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:16:03 PM »
I just got 7th edition this week. I'm still skimming through it, but so far, I haven't noticed any huge changes for us.  As you mention, the flamers vs open-topped transports thing shouldn't come up too terribly often for us because we're simply too fast to get stuck that close to a flamer.  I haven't noticed any changes to assault that dramatically improve our ability to assault.  Shooting is still shooting.  Lances were largely unaffected by the changes to vehicle survivability.  Poison weapons are still poison weapons. I still expect to see lots of kabalites sitting in venoms doing pretty much the same thing they were last edition. The main differences, I think, will be in the meta and the missions.

Edit: Oh! Although Jink is definitely worth mentioning!  Jink actually kind of got worse for us after the first turn since you have to sacrifice a model's accuracy to improve your defenses.  That said, the changes do make it harder for long-ranged armies to complete devastate us turn 1 before we get to move.  Maybe we can use this and clever positioning to basically have a minority of raiders jinking at the front of our formations and protecting the attack craft behind them?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:26:20 PM by Wyldhunt »

Offline Seren Nos

• Filthy Mon-keigh
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:49 AM »
One small thing I noticed is the change to deep striking vehicles. I am sure they now count as moving combat speed, not cruising speed as was in 6th. This is massive for open topped transports as the passengers are no onger firing snapshots.  Meaning the vehicle upgrade (retrofire jets?) together with the Ld modifing upgrade on a raider full of warriors may be worth exploring
To Err is definately human; to Manipulate is Eldar

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:45:49 AM »
One small thing I noticed is the change to deep striking vehicles. I am sure they now count as moving combat speed, not cruising speed as was in 6th. This is massive for open topped transports as the passengers are no onger firing snapshots.  Meaning the vehicle upgrade (retrofire jets?) together with the Ld modifing upgrade on a raider full of warriors may be worth exploring

Don't have a rule book to hand, but I'm sure passengers no longer have to snap shoot at cruising speed, which is a real buff for our venom/raider gunboats.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Sorry but that has not changed.

All in all, DE have remained much the same. The varying objectives and only needing to hold them for a turn in Malestorm missions is quite nice tho
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline jbaidacoff

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
For poison weapons it used to be you could re-roll wounds where strength was equal to or greater than toughness of target. Now it is only if it is greater.  This nerfed Wracks against Marines.

Jim B.

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
yeah MUCH less use out of the furious charge paintoken now :/ 
Actually not  being able to RR VS T4 makes most lists I play weaker ....
Anyway......

Offline Psyan

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »
Have the changes to cover saves for moving/jink saves made anyone more likely to take Flickerfields on their vehicles?

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #8 on: July 1, 2014, 04:55:21 AM »
I always take flickerfields. Worth every bit of the 10 pts to have that option. Taking it over jinks to be able to shoot normal, you betcha. But survivability is still hard for open top fast skimmers and a bit more so now with the new rules edition, mainly the being able to hurt the occupants while on board IMHO.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword