News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blackadder's Scratchbuilt Thunderhawk  (Read 15252 times)

Offline Edmund Blackadder

• Model building is the thing, the result incidental
Re: Blackadder's Scratchbuilt Thunderhawk
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 04:55:04 PM »
Buildup of the airbrake internal compartment:

--
E. Blackadder

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 03:39:24 AM »
The compartment walls complete, I still haven't figured out the brake hinge my original idea of a plastic rod, then steel rod, have given way to a much more durable  torque tube assembly which is probably how I shall go. Time enough for that when I get the empennage skinned.

--
E. Blackadder

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 06:41:55 PM »
Way back when I first started this project and was attempting to save what I could of the foam core I found that the faceted rear of the hull just didn't look right.

Try as I might there was something wrong and fortunately I scrapped the endeavor and started anew. It seems there is a bit of a jog in the hull aft of the airbrakes. Just a centimeter change with a filler angle which makes all the difference.

The shading of the 3D rendering is so subtle that I never noticed it. but I believe I am on the right track now.

In the image below you can see what I missed installed on the model and on the cutting board the opposite piece.

Now the facets should look reasonable better.

E. Blackadder

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
Well the good news is that both sides match to within the thickness of a sharp pencil line. The bad news is if this tail section isn't right I'm out a lot of work. I'll be installing the rear 45° slab later as soon as the current glue dries a bit but it looks like I might get away with out having to sand the facets.

It's amazing that the 3D model was correct and all these angles appear to be necessary.

A word of thanks to my unknown benefactor.

E. Blackadder

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 07:00:36 PM »
You know some of us aspire to greatness even though we are not qualified and some of us have greatness thrust upon us although we are not qualified. I would rather seek my level of competence and not transcend it and enjoy the accolades of my peers.

Damn it worked and I am fit to burst with unbounded joy that this portion is done. I have been avoiding this for weeks because I knew the problems entailed but it seems to have come out okay. The tail faceted section works and less than a fraction of a mm off.

E. Blackadder

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 07:19:44 AM »
Perfect.

As for the hinged air brake... have you considered the possibility of using a ready made hinge, and then concealing this within the plasticard? This would save you have to construct your own, and (dare I say) it should work better, and for longer.

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 07:19:02 PM »
Thunderhawk Chapters, I have no idea. I was thinking beige and jungle green camo with pale blue tinted under belly What chapter would that be?

Or perhaps this scheme on a transport that zipped by my trench the other day:

At any rate DAMN this beastie is long,

26 inches without the exhaust nacelle of the middle engine or 66.04 cm for those of you who have not come to appreciate the utility of the Imperial measuring system. :D And I loped off a few CM because it looked too long to me.

« Reply #47 on: October 1, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »
Department of one step forward and two back. Discovered an error in my building of the air brake panel recess. Had to tear it out and redo it. Two days and I'm back to where I was two days ago. but the cavity looks a lot better and that's what counts.

The slightly insane Blackadder

Note that the recess is now lined with 0.10 x 0.250 inch strips and the inner wall echoes the outer shape of the superstructure. You don't? well no one else would have either and I just pissed away my time rebuilding that which no one would have noticed anyway.
--
E. Blackadder

« Reply #48 on: October 1, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »
Another peek into the skunk works. Out of this hodge podge of scribbles I hope to extract a semblance of order and replicate the internal plumbing.

I hope I have enough scrap tubing.
--
E. Blackadder

« Reply #49 on: October 2, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »
The plumbing installed, a lot of pipes for such a small area. I suppose fuel lines and tubes for air conditioning and pressurization. Too high for lavatory waste pipes.

The right side:

And the left side:

E. Blackadder

« Reply #50 on: October 2, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
Enough resting on my laurels; there's nothing difficult about this detailing.

The thin pipe is actually made from old plastic flower pot hangers. you know the kind that have the hook moulded into them. I saved a bunch of them years ago and I'm soon going to be running out.

I used styrene rods for the bending and bent them with a pair of needlenose pliers. The trick is for more leverage to bend the rod before you cut it. Then over bent the angle and flex it back to the angle you want. Styrene fatigues quickly and should hold it's bend when glued in place.

Here's a short tutorial on pipe fitting.

The simplest is to just cut rings in the next size larger of the Evergreen telescoping tubing. Slide the ring onto the smaller rod or tube and glue in place with ProWeld thin cement. No need for pictures of this process, But.......

sometimes you want a really thin sleeve on your tubing.

First file or sand the smaller dia. tube to a tapered end:

Then with a thin pointed Xacto blade ream out the larger dia. tube:

to receive the previously tapered rod or tube:

Join the two tubes and cement and set aside to dry on a flat surface:

Next; Really thin bands on the tubing.
--
E. Blackadder

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #51 on: October 3, 2011, 09:02:08 AM »
I hate to post and break up the excellence, but I do think its also nice to give you good words of encouragement!!

The inside of the airbrake certainly looks better with the proper angles. Like you dais, no one would have noticed or been too concenred, but it does make a difference, and makes the detailing look better too. On that note, incredible work.

« Reply #52 on: October 3, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
Perfect.

As for the hinged air brake... have you considered the possibility of using a ready made hinge, and then concealing this within the plasticard? This would save you have to construct your own, and (dare I say) it should work better, and for longer.

I considered your proposal but cannot come up with a way to make a store bought hinge work in the manner displayed on the 3D model. I also seriously doubt that the hinge as shown can be made without some sort of hydraulic repositioning. I have come up with a plan that if my thought experiment bears fruit will approximate the shown image. It necessitates cutting drastically into the hull.

Pictures to follow ::)

Oh and BTW I thrive on feedback everybody can reply as much as you like.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2011, 05:13:04 PM by Edmund Blackadder »

« Reply #53 on: October 4, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
Cutting out the hull was the hard part, another step backwards but it had to be done. A 2 mm bulkhead to strengthen the casement and
to provide a secure mount for the hinge assembly. the cutting out the hinge recesses which gives me this result and no significant damage.

--
E. Blackadder

« Reply #54 on: October 4, 2011, 04:15:53 PM »
Below is a composite image of the left side hinge showing the range of motion and the assembled components. Now all I have to do is reproduce it for the right side. I'll take pictures of the components seperately for the right side hinge; I didn't for the left because I wasn't sure the damned thing would work. :D

--
E. Blackadder

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #55 on: October 4, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »
My jaw is hitting the floor! I think thats the best advert for the phrase "if you want somehting done right, you gotta do it yourself!" Looking forward to seeing how well the home made hinge sits within the gap for it. (I assume that you cut the holes in the hull AFTER you made the hinge... you know, just so you could be absolutely sure it would be the right right size!)

This is a real love affair! I do love how you are not afraid (or simply too OCD) to go back over things you've done to make improvements after they've been set out.

« Reply #56 on: October 4, 2011, 06:26:08 PM »
No I cut the holes yesterday and I made the hinge today. What's your point?

................... ....... Oh!

Doh!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #57 on: October 5, 2011, 06:03:58 AM »
LOL...

Also, you may have to trim the corner of the hinge bits. In the bottom right picture you can see the part I mean. Because the squared edges hang over the plane of the hinge they will get in the way and prevent the hinge from working once it is in place. Of course, this is assuming that you are simply going to glue that surface to the inside of the gap you've cut (onto the extra piece of plasticard you inserted).

Good luck!

« Reply #58 on: October 5, 2011, 07:16:40 AM »
Since I am making this up as I go along there is a lot of reverse engineering that has to go into it. There are no hard copy blueprints for me to follow so if a mistake occurs I have to make a redesign on the fly as it were.

Already I have found clearance problems and out and out flaws in this simple basic device that I am overcoming by trail and error.

I guess this is why engineers command big bucks,  ::) except the guy that designed the 'Tacoma Narrows Bridge' :D

Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse "Gallopin' Gertie"

Offline slinky1984

• Gimme all your honey!
    • Willamette Valley Wargaming
« Reply #59 on: October 5, 2011, 09:42:41 AM »
For the love of god! was the dog ok!  ;D

In all seriousness this is awesome. I have been lurking this thread for a while and I enjoy watching your skills at work. I really like the pipe detail and I am curious how you acquired the skills to do this?
Please allow me to adjust my pants... So that I may dance the good time dance