News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First try at Nids 2k  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Prophecy

First try at Nids 2k
« on: December 3, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
I have been lucky to pick up multiple large armies of Nids lately. People have been really dumping them and I am just curious enough to try. I'm not normally a big deathstar fan but I found that nids are so cheap in certain areas that I wanted to try it out with the swarmlord. I own just about everything but the majority of the super new kits. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Swarmlord: XX0 pts
-Tyrant Guard: 3 w/ Lash whips: 195 pts

Tyranid Prime: A pair of boneswords w/ regeneration: 100 pts

Termagants: 17: 85 pts
Termagants: 17: 85 pts

Tervigon: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Cluster Spines, and Catalyst: 195 pts
Tervigon: Adrenal Glands, Toxin Sacs, Cluster Spines, and Catalyst: 195 pts

Hormagaunts: 19: 114 pts

Ripper Swarms: 7: 70 pts

Zoanthropes: 3: 180 pts

Carnifex Brood: 2 w/ 2x devourers, frag spines, Toxin Sacs: 410 pts

Biovores: 2: 90 pts

Total: 1,999 pts

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
Re: First try at Nids 2k
« Reply #1 on: December 3, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
Do you plan on joining the Prime to the Carnifexen?  I hope so!  Keeps them in check.

The list is pretty solid.  Would you like a few more points to toss around?  Drop the Lash Whips on the Tyrant Guard and drop one down to two models.  Cover and MC's has changed making it easier to get cover saves.  I play SL with 2 TG all the time and it's plenty.  The SL has enough CC distruction that you will not need the extra TG body and they will likely be dead prior to making it to CC meaning wasted points on the whips.

I hope the Rippers are leading the Hormagaunts into CC, if this is so, put upgrades on the Hormagaunts. 

Biovores are disruptive awesomeness!  Even better with more!

Not a bad start at all.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #2 on: December 3, 2012, 10:21:49 PM »
Quick Answer

1) drop a tyrant guard
-) found 2 is more than enough
2) Drop ripper swarms
-) useless over cost, can't score
3) drop frag spines/Toxin Sacs on the carnifexs
-) I3 isn't good, and Toxin is okayish but the shouldn't be in hand to hand.
4) drop one zoanthrope
-) need points and 2 will get the land raider dead
5) Cluster spines on the tervigons
-) your a hand to hand army, laying an 5" template near your hand to hand swarms, usually end up with you clearing out your own troops.
5) Adrenal Glands on the tervigons
-) Gaunts will not end up using them, and the tervigon really shouldn't be needing it.
6) Split the carnifexs up

that will get you around 245 points back

add in
2x2 Hive Guard (kills rhinos, snipes T4 characters, can help drop fliers)
and more gaunts (more gaunt wall to keep their troops away.)
Tervigons get Catalyst (For the carnifexs, or the swarmlord)

That would be my quick 2 cents.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
After looking over the comments there seems to be some patterns so I will deffinately follow up with these changes.

@BT: I will be putting the prime with the fexes to give them some punch and challenge the stupid powerfist away. Thank you for noticing the rippers as the shield for the hormagaunts which upgrade should I get? I also agree about the Biovores I have always hated playing against them as I love infantry so I thought they should be a shoe in.

@Shaten: I will drop the extra guard and the whips. I will not drop the rippers as I want them to shield the hormagaunts. Frag spines can be tossed as a template and provide nades so yes they are an auto include. Since they arent normally made for CC as Dakka fexes I think the Poison is a must to make sure they dont stay in CC if I am assaulted. I am worried if I drop a Zoa they will just get shot down. Good point on the cluster spines. Splitting the carnifexes seems like a bad idea when factoring in catalyst.

I only own 1 hiveguard like I said no new models really and that's one of them. More gaunts is always a good idea. My Tervigons already have Catalyst.
I also think nobody should be running rhinos. It just isn't a good idea for most armies. I would be running battle tanks or nothing at all. I think 2 groups of 2 Zoas are perhaps better. I also don't want to the full 2k to avoid double force org garbage.

After thinking it over I came up with this:

Swarmlord: 280 pts
-Tyrant Guard: 2: 195 pts

Tyranid Prime: A pair of boneswords w/ regeneration: 100 pts

Termagants: 15: 75 pts
Termagants: 15: 75 pts

Tervigon: Toxin Sacs and Catalyst: 185 pts
Tervigon: Toxin Sacs and Catalyst: 185 pts

Hormagaunts: 19 w/ Toxin Sacs: 152 pts

Ripper Swarms: 6: 60 pts

Zoanthropes: 2: 120 pts
Zoanthropes: 2: 120 pts

Carnifex Brood: 2 w/ 2x devourers and frag spines: 390 pts

Biovores: 3: 145 pts

Total: 1,997 pts

« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
Much better on the list and you will find that the 3 Biovores is better than two.

In regards to Shaten's suggestion, you could always use that third Tyrant Guard as a proxy Hive Guard since you only have one.  Three is ALWAYS better in regards to Hive Guard, Zoanthroapes, and Biovores!

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #5 on: December 5, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
I will not drop the rippers as I want them to shield the hormagaunts.

I think you will find the rippers slow down your hormagaunts, and could be replace with termagaunts to provide the same benefit.

Frag spines can be tossed as a template and provide nades so yes they are an auto include. Since they arent normally made for CC as Dakka fexes I think the Poison is a must to make sure they dont stay in CC if I am assaulted.
1) Frag Spines can be a template weapon? not sure where this is from. Page 46 says they only provide assault grenades
2) As an assault grenade they let you swing at I3, so really the only thing your spending the points on is to avoid a power fist or I1 weapons, which I'm guessing will already kill you.
3) On the poison you getting rerolls of all the 1's you roll to wound on, in a squad that isn't designed to be in combat.

Your call on the carnifexs, I think as gun platforms i try to keep them in that role.
Some seem to believe that we should negotiate with the terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along.

« Reply #6 on: December 5, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »
Frag spines can be tossed as a template and provide nades so yes they are an auto include. Since they arent normally made for CC as Dakka fexes I think the Poison is a must to make sure they dont stay in CC if I am assaulted.
1) Frag Spines can be a template weapon? not sure where this is from. Page 46 says they only provide assault grenades
2) As an assault grenade they let you swing at I3, so really the only thing your spending the points on is to avoid a power fist or I1 weapons, which I'm guessing will already kill you.
3) On the poison you getting rerolls of all the 1's you roll to wound on, in a squad that isn't designed to be in combat.

Your call on the carnifexs, I think as gun platforms i try to keep them in that role.

1.  I am sure he meant to say "blast" instead of "Template."  A common mistake from the older rules and veteran players made by habit.  And yes, they only remove the Initiative issue when charging cover.
2.  Avoiding those weapons is exactly the reason to take them.
3.  Well, it is cheap, why not re-roll those 1s'?  Fate is inevitable!

Offline shaten

• The Swarm grows
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
1.  I am sure he meant to say "blast" instead of "Template."  A common mistake from the older rules and veteran players made by habit.  And yes, they only remove the Initiative issue when charging cover.

Ahh I see it is using the Assault grenade thrown rule.
So giving up 6 str 6 shots to throw a Str 3 blast.

I think if your using the carnifex as a gun platform getting it into CC is a bad idea unless your out of options. You help run out of options quicker by spending 10 points here and 5 points there on things you may want or may need. I could argue those 15 times 2 = 30 points is another 6 termagaunts sitting around the carnifexs keeping them out of combat, allowing them to use the 60 points in range weapons. I realize there is a lot of points invested into the model as a base which allows it to have a good CC profile, but that is not really the goal, scope, use of the model once the ranged weapons are added.

Just my view on it is, choose a role, then execute that role.

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 01:09:48 PM »
Well after I read everything I decided to go on a hunt for new models. As of a few days ago I am now the proud owner of 6 more hive guard and 2 trygons. I wanted to try 2 groups of 3 HG and 1 group of Zoas as my elites in another list. I also wanted to do 2 Trygons and 9 raveners in another. Do either of these ideas sound good?

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
Well after I read everything I decided to go on a hunt for new models. As of a few days ago I am now the proud owner of 6 more hive guard and 2 trygons. I wanted to try 2 groups of 3 HG and 1 group of Zoas as my elites in another list. I also wanted to do 2 Trygons and 9 raveners in another. Do either of these ideas sound good?

Sure it does, sounds like proper use of the units.  I prefer Trygon Primes for their Synapse.  I don't have any experience with Raveners, too expensive and fragile with not the greatest delivery ratio in my opinion.  Then there is the cost of them to make a decent sized squad. :-\

Overall, its your list!

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
So perhaps also add in the Parasite with gargs and lictors?

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 10:55:03 PM »
So perhaps also add in the Parasite with gargs and lictors?

I don't have experience with Lictors, can't help you there.

Gargoyles are pretty awesome with T.Sacs but only when you get them into CC, which requires a large squad size.  They drop quickly and with the new emphasis on shooting in this rule set, they are likely to drop even more a lot more easily!  I mixed about them right now and I haven't played my Nids in awhile because I have refocused my efforts on my ever growing CSM army (my fourth codex with them and by far my favorite army ever.)

Offline Prophecy

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:11:10 PM »
I understand that makes sense to me. I also have a CSM force but I just want to sell it. It is a fully pimped put noise marines army.