News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Online Tale of 3 Gamers [picture heavy]  (Read 44827 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
40k Online Tale of 3 Gamers [picture heavy]
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:09:44 AM »
So here we are, Wargamers and modellers alike, joined through the love of our hobby and in wanting to share our hobby experiences with eachother.  Sometimes a model here or there is not a challenge enough for us and we relish the idea of starting a new or expanding an existing army to the best of our abilities. 

With special thanks to Sentient Bee for suggesting the idea I proudly present the 40k Online Tale of 16 Gamers.

This project shall run over a period of 10 months in which the participants are to build a fully legal army of their choice... but they must stick to a budget and to a set of rules, Whilst detailing and blogging their experinces, progress, ideas and WIP's.

The Rules:

*The Tale of 16 Gamers will run for 10 months.

*For the first and last months of the Article participants may spend the equivilant cost of a battle force boxed within their particular country.

*Every month inbetween the first and last months the maximum budget is half of the cost of said Battle force boxed set.

*Unspent money may be carried over to the following months

*Paints and glue and basing materials DO NOT count towards costs as this would be very restrictive

*If using anything that you already own (ie codex) this comes out of your budget

*You may make your purchases from Ebay or other source as this may make for an interesting article and army development.  If purchasing from ebay, anything brought is designated at the regular retail price from GW, whether it was obtained cheaper or more expensive than said GW price.

*Anything brought by contestants MUST be painted by the end of that month, failure to do so will result in a 20% deduction from the follwing months budget as penalty.

*Participants must chronical their adventures and experiences each month posting on this forum.  Limited to two posts per month (not including responses to comments & advice)

*Participants must have confirmed their interest by the end of January (Entry is now Locked)

*The project comences on February 1st. NO starting before this date.

*Your army must be "legal" in terms of FOC by the end of the competition

*No maximum/minimum points limit.

*Whenever you feel as though your army is completed you may leave the project, although carrying on would be more interesting of course. ;)

*Keep posts clean, humorous, interesting, progressive and constructive... Please refrain from ZOMG!! thats so cool... etc... 

*And of course the most important rule here, aswell as in 40k worldwide, is to have FUN!!

The Participants:
Alexander's son        Space Marines (Space wolves)
Jonik                        Imperial Guard
Moc 065                   Eldar 

Ivellos                      Sisters of Battle 
Iain C                        Eldar
Kej                           Orks
Broodlord forogt        Orks
Tactical Burn Victim   Eldar
Arkion                       Space Marines
Big Boss                    Space Marines
Insane0018              Space Marines
In_Jeopardy              WHFB Orcs and Goblins
Ion                           Vostroyan Imperial Guard
Nurgle 5                   Tzeentch Beast army
Razyus                     WHFB or Imperial guard???
The Warden             Inquisition 
Valar                        Bretonnians

Please PM me if I have missed you out or if there are any other problems.

Ok Gentlemen the thread is up and running so Let the 40k Online's first ever Tale of 16 Gamers Commence!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:31:03 AM by Jonik (En Francais!) »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: 40k Online Tale of [s]16[/s] 3 Gamers
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:44:50 AM »
This space is rented by moc065 and his Eldar

Update. Month 1, February 2008
Cost, One Canadian Battle Box  = $130.00.
Item(s) 1 Vyper ($45.00), 3 Jetbikes ($45.00), Codex ($35.00); $5.00 remaining.
Pics:
Bare Sprue, Vyper 1/2 painted, Vyper done, Jetbikes primed, "Scab Red" on JB's, Reds done on JB's, Jetbikes Done.

Update. Month 2, March 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Canadian Battle Box + $5.00 Remaining= $70.00.
Item(s) 1 Vyper ($45.00); $25 remaining.
Pics:
Vyper on Sprue, Underside, Top-view Rear, Crew, Vyper 80%, Vyper #2 Done

Update. Month 3, April 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Canadian Battle Box + $25.00 Carried = $90.00.
Item(s) 1 Autarch on Jetbike ($45.00); $45 remaining.
Pics:
Autarch on Sprue, All the parts, JB assembled, Another angle on JB, Paint has started, JB from side, JB and Autarch 1, JB and Autarch 2. Autarch on JB - 90%, Autarch on JB - Done.

Update. Month 4, May 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Canadian Battle Box + $45.00 remaining, $110.00.
Item(s) 5 Jetbikes (I will use the cost of 2 box sets, $90.00); $20 + 1 JB remaining.
Pics:
JB's & primed JB's + Riders, Bottom View Warlock JB, Side View Warlock JB,  Riders Skin tones, JB's Paint started, Paint stages of the JB's, Right to Left. JB's all reds done, Side view. View all Inkings done. Close up of Warlock. Unit finished.

Update. Month 5, June 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Cdn Battle Box + $20.00 + JB remaining = $85.00 + JB
Item(s) 3 WarWalkers (I got a box set, $75.00), I will use bitz for a weapon Swap on my JB Warlock (no Cost), and a Fusion Gun for the Autarch (no Cost); Thus I will have $10 + 1 JB remaining.
Pics:
On Sprue 1st with cage 2nd with cage 3rd with cage, check out the head... Group shot front (primer started), Reds based out on them, Reds almost done. Warwalkers Done.

Update. Month 6, July 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Cdn Battle Box + $10.00 + JB remaining = $75.00 + JB
Item(s) 5 Shining Spears ($65.00 + Left Over JB): $10.00 remaining.
Pics:
5 Shining Spears assembled. Pattern for Canopy
I failed for this month, due to vacation time etc, but I will come back to this work as I progress.

Update. Month 7, Aug 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Cdn Battle Box + $10.00 = $75.00
Item(s) 1 Eldrad = $25.00: thus $50.00 remaining.
Pics:
Pics of Saim-Eldard's robes getting done
The wraithbone sections and "Gold in 2 steps"
The final two stages of Saim-Eldard: Gems, Weapon and Iconry.

Update. Month 7, Sep 2008
Cost, 1/2 of 1 Cdn Battle Box + $50.00 remaining = $115.00
Item(s) 8 Fire Dragons (1 Box set = $45.00 and 1 Blister of 2 OOP = $15.00 because I still have them) = $60.00: thus $55.00 remaining.
Pics:
Pics of Initital Stagees and Trial Colour Scheme.
Pics of the Washes and Inks to get to Base Coat time9.

Army Idea: Is to add independant FOC to my existing Eldar army, and I will start with the Contents of the Wildrider Host box for about 500pts. And when thats done I will add units each month to build it into a full fighting force. I added "Edrad" but only because I wanted the figure done... He will not be a standard choice within my army.

HQ:[/b]
(140) Autarch -1: Jetbike, Laser Lance, Mandiblasters and Fusion Gun  (April and June 2008 - Done)
(210) Saim-Eldard [Eldrad's twin] - 1: (Aug 2008 - Done)

Elite:
(145) Fire Dragons - 8: Exarch has Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot. (Sep 2008)

Troops:
(76) Jetbikes - 3: 1 Shuri-cannon. (Feb 2008 - Done)
(153) Jetbikes - 5: 1 Shuri-cannon, Warlock with Destructor, (May 2008 - Done)

Fast Attack:
(70) Vyper - 1: Scatter & Shuri-cannon. (Feb 2008 - Done)
(70) Vyper - 1: Scatter & Shuri-cannon. (March 2008 - Done)
(---) Shining Spears - 5: Exarch with Starlance, Skilled Rider and Withdraw. (July 2008)

Heavy Support:
(70) Warwalker: 2 EML's and Spirit Stones.
(70) Warwalker: 2 EML's and Spirit Stones.
(70) Warwalker: 2 EML's and Spirit Stones. (June 2008 - Done)

Totals 932pts as of End Aug 2008 (spears not included)

Here is the current months project (posted 3 Sep 2008)
Fire Dragons

Image of the Army as the units get completed.

NOTE: Click on any discriptive links to see pictures.

CaHG
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:18:48 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Ivellos

Sisters of Battle - Order of the Argent Quietus
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
So when the idea of this project came about I saw it as a great opportunity to delve deeper into the Warhammer 40k universe with a second army. choosing an army out of all the great options I had was tough but after tossing around Orks, Tau, Eldar, Witch Hunters, Demon Hunters, and Space Marines I still had no idea. So I started a Space Marine army, Dark Angels to be specific, but I didn't want to do them for this! Much thought later and I finally went to the local game shop and stood there with my girl until she chose Sisters of Battle for me so we could just leave. Thus, I present to you my venture into The Order of the Argent Quietus!

Febuary 2008

Budget: $90
Purchases: Sisters of Battle Squad Boxset($40), Cannoness($12), Codex($22)
Spent: $74
Remaining: $16

Originally I had ordered the above and two Sister Sergent models but when the package arrived they wern't there! I got my money back from the store and realized shortly after that I didn't actually need to order extra Sergents since I got one in the boxset.

Febuary Overview - As I am still new to the hobby and I hadn't painted anything other than Tyranids at that point. So the Sisters were a new experience for me and they are far more complicated to paint to an equal standard. Overall I personally think that the Cannoness was the best figure to that date that I had painted.

March 2008 - Past Due Update

Budget: $45 + $16 = $61
Purchases: Space Marine Rhino Boxset
Spent: $30
Remaining: $31

The month of March was quite a challenge, time had been quite hard to come by. I did finish the Months Project in time however between computer problems and other school related things this is almost an entire month late of a post.  The Rhino Has Magnitized Smoke Launchers Headlights Dozer Blades and doors.

April 2008

Budget: $45 - 20% = 36 + $31 = $67
Purchases: Nothing
Spent: $0
Remaining: $67

This Month theres just too much going on so I will take a 20% loss and make it up next month.

May 2008

Budget: $45 - 20% = 36 + $67 = $103
Purchases: ???
Spent: ?$0
Remaining: $??
« Last Edit: September 9, 2008, 09:11:00 AM by Jonik »

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
Re: 40k Online Tale of 16 Gamers
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »
Ok so I went to my friendly local GW store and got a box of Rangers and a Wraithlord. I already had a Codex but as I need to factor that into the cost of my army anyway, that takes me to my limit for this month.

I like the plastic Wraithlord although I'm having some problems posing it. We'll see how that goes.

I'm going for a blue and bone colour scheme (Vanilla Craftworld)

Now I have things painted finally. The Rangers came out nicely, the Wraithlord less so. I really don't like the pose I ended up with, I wanted something dynamic suggesting that he was delicately poised for combat and instead he's sort of half tipping over... Ah well.

I may get another one later just to see if I can do something cool with it.

Rangers:

These guys are a bit rough to be honest, definitely tabletop standard rather than show-piece material. They look nice froma distance however. I try to avoid camo patterns because it usually just ends up looking a mess. The whole point of camo is that it breaks up the outline and lessens the definition, the downside of painting camo is that it breaks up the outlines and lessens the definition... You either have to be very subtle indeed or limit yourself to very large patterns. So I did my capes a ghostly blue-grey to provide a contrast with the Regal Blue armour. The bone coloured weapons are a standard theme which will tie my army together when it's done (I hope).

Wraithlord:

Painted him flat blue with bone weapons and purple gems, highlighted him and decided that he looked a bit flat so I did a sort of winding pale blue ribbon pattern up each leg and on the groin shield and the shoulder armour. The pale blue ribbon has darker blue swirls within it to make it look a bit more interesting. The 'head' has a rather nice stippled effect which came out pretty well I thought.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2008, 05:29:51 PM by IainC »
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Re: 40k Online Tale of 17 Gamers
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 01:50:00 PM »
Ok so after a delayed start for reasons of untold indecision I can now beguile you with my new tale.

I hae always prefered building fantasy armies than 40k armies but always played 40k more odly enough, but recently I have been yearning to go back to my roots which lay in fantasy as I no longer had the motivation to paint my Eldar.  So keeping true to the tale of four gamers articles in which the first series featured a bretonnian army I want to make my own tale with these brave, virtuous warriors of men.

I managed to get into  a GW store sooner than I thought I would be able to much to my joy and my wallets dispair.  I stood making my mind up as to what to start my new adventure with and decided to spend my money like this.  Since i have less than half a month left I didnt want to buy more than i could paint and incure a penalty so i kept my purchases to  a minimum

1 box of Knights of the Realm £18
1 Green Knight £15

Total Remaining: £17

Now I am sitting deciding on how to best go about painting this force, do I stick to the traditional GW representation of them with every knight having a different barding and heraldry, or do I make them more coherant than usual by giving the knights a uniform based around my generals heraldry?  Any and all oppinions are ery much welcome and id love to hear them as I really cant make up my mind.

And work shall commence on this project tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:48:08 PM by Valar »

Offline Ion

• 10 shots, one kill.
    • Ion's 40k Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 04:46:26 PM »
5th Vostroyan Mechanised

Month 1- February 2008
Cost:  US Battleforce $90
Item(s): Vostroyan Infantry Platoon Box Set ($90)

I was so lucky that my store had one of these left a few weeks ago.  I had been drooling over the Vostroyan range ever since they came out, so I knew I had to grab it. $90 well spent, if I do say so myself.  The set comes with:

JO with command squad (Medic, Vox Officer, Flamer, Grenade Launcher)
Infantry Squad with Plasmagun and Lascannon
Infantry Squad with Plasmagun and Mortar

The Box Set

My 3 squads

All metal models, total value being something around $130; Quite a deal!

The only models I won't be using out of this box (at least in my current list) are the lascannon and mortar teams.  Heavy weapons slow my wave o' steel down!   ;)

Feb 1-  All models built and ready for basecoating / painting.

Feb 2- Painted My JO and Vox Officer!  I am especially proud of my Vox Officer, as it is the first time I have had a brush small enough to do eyes!  Pics to come soon!

Feb 4- Began work on Flamer guardsman in my JO command squad... this is slow going...  and I think I have the most models to paint out of everybody, at least in this first month...   :P

Feb 5- Finished the flamer, another fine model...

Feb 7- Grenade Launcher guardsman done...  Just the medic to go and my JO command squad is finished!

Feb 8- Medic is done! My full JO squad is complete! 

Obviously, the detail of the picture isn't the greatest (especially around the faces), but there you go... my JO command squad.  Whaddya think?

Next month I'm planning on adding my Codex  into the cost and a command squad.  I technically already have the codex, but I have to subtract it somewhere, preferably sooner rather than later.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 04:10:11 PM by Ion »

Offline Alexander's Son

• Mentor - Newbies feel free to ask for any help.
    • Alexander Son's web page
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
 Ice Wolves or Wolves of the Tundra Month 1 (February)

Important notice: Despite the fact that in Greece we use € (Euros) in this project I will be using £ (Great Britain Pounds) for convenience.

Budget: £50
 Purchases: Space Wolf Codex = £12
                 Bike Squadron used as Blood Claws Bike Pack = £15
                Scouts with Shotguns = £5
                 Bits order from GW = £10
 Remaining: £8

I will post pics of the Scouts as soon as I will shoot them. The Bikers were made a little bit hurried as I they were made after 0000!  :D

05/02/2008
 I have uploaded the Scouts with Shotguns. (Link fixed - jonik)Next will be some photos of the Blood Claws Bike Pack with some details added and GS done. Also I have made some add-ons to the costs with an order I had...

13/02/2008
 Little update. The above purchases are now primed but not pictured. Thanks for the fixing in the links Jonik!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 09:13:17 AM by Alexander's Son »
Thanks to all the people showing faith in me

I sometimes feel that everyone will leave me and they will be on their own...

A suspicious mind is a healthy mind

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2008, 04:30:04 AM »
The 23rd Tolaren Grenadiers - Jonik's IG blog

This is the primary post for my tale. Here you will find the links to all the posts containing the building of my Grenadiers.

Links
Month 1 - February

Month 2.1 - March

Month 2.2 - March
Month 2.3 - March

Month 3.1 - April
Month 3.2 - April
Month 3.3 - April
                      Month 4.1 - May
Month 4.2 - May
Month 4.3 - May

Month 5 - June

Month 6.1, 6.2 - July

Month 7 - August
                      Month 8.1 - September
Month 8.2 - September
Month 8.3 - September
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:00:19 PM by Jonik »
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #8 on: February 2, 2008, 06:07:19 AM »
 Thanks moc... more job is needed on them though... Only one is full as he was the first to be done and I was fresh!

Arkion... you have a great pattern for inspiration! I think you will overdo them!

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 2, 2008, 11:10:01 AM »
The 23rd Tolaren Grenadiers - Jonik's IG blog

Update. Month 1, February 2008
Cash in hand £50
Item(s) bought this month 1 Codex (£12), 1 Box of Space marine scouts (£12), 1 IG cadian sprue (£6), 10 Old Stormtroopers (£20) (4 will be converted with plasmaguns, using plasma pistols - do I need to pay for the pistols?)
Cash carried over £0

Picture Updates

1/2/08

2/2/08

Hello and welcome to my first text based update!

Well, as you might have guessed I'm working on a grenadier force to add to my growing guard army - they've always been cool, I've never had any, and that's about as far as the reasoning goes...! It's also allowing me to get some chimeras (which I have never used before!) so that's something I'm looking forward to doing.

Now, before anyone mentions it, I've done a deal on the trading forum for a lot of the things I'll be using over the coming months, but as of yet I haven't started on anything. (apart from a mock G36design autogun). I'm also taking part in the 'combat patrol by 31st march' thread in the IG forum, so my month 3 (and possibly a bit of 4) will have been done in month 2 - I'll still update this as if I was doing it at the time but I've been allowed to do it this way. Anyway, it's not as if I'm cheating - I'm actually adding more to my pile of things to do! [watch this space to see it go tits up!]

The scouts box as some of you have asked is being used for my command squad - NOT my grenadiers. I'm using the metal ones for my grennies. (hmmm... not sure I like that abbrv!) Anyway, i have the basic design sorted for them, and am working on it at the moment, but probs won't post pictures for a day or so until I get them looking presentable rather than a bluetac filled lump of plastics...!

Righto - I think that's it!

Jonik

3/2/08

Hmmm... seems like I'm the only one updating this...

AAAAaannnnyway. Picture time!

Here are the stormtroopers I'm working on. I'm planning on two squads of 7 atm with 2 plasma each. Not being able to buy or find the specific plasma models I have been chopping away at them, which for metal models was a pain... anyway here they are so far :)

Oh and a sneak peak at the commander's arm ;)

5/2/08

Here's a few more picture uopdates that I did yesterday. Not much changed, but they're new pictures... so...

6/2/08

Hello for my second big update. This time sees what I've been doing with my scouts and IG bits...

Here's my command squad! 4 armed with lasguns (or g36 variant autoguns) and the commander is armed with a laspistol and sword (sheathed knife, I don't have any cool bits for a sheathed sword :()

13/8/08

OK I've started painting my stormtroopers, but am having slight issues with the UK camo pattern I chose.

It looks...ok... but its probably more the fact I haven't finished the rest of the model so the black is sapping out all the colour I've put in.

(bigger pictures can be found on page 2)

20/02/08

Just a small update, I have all the fatigues of this month's models done. :)

Another update!

Here's one test figure with the brown and silver added. Tis looking better (though the pic doesnt show it, its almost 11pm here so no decent light)

(Bigger pictures page 3)

22/2/08

OK, I've been playing with my phone camera settings, and with a Light box thingy that I've just made I now have pictures of the following quality :) YAY!

1/3/08

So, its the end of the month.... Unfortunately I've been lumped with such a huge amount of work in the last 2 weeks that I've not had the time I wanted to finish off my (nearly!) finished units. If I only had 2 more evenings to get them done... Nevermind - I'll have to take this hit next month.

Anyway. I started with a box of scouts, some cadian parts, 10 metal stormtroopers, some plasma pistols, glue, greenstuff and a lot of ideas. I'm very happy with the way that my command squad has turned out. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to base my leader (i'm thinking a tree stump on the base maybe...) apart from finishing off details they're pretty much done. A bit of highlighting on the armour, the odd bit here and there, and base them...

The storm troopers didn't get quite as far. They're in the brown and (soon to be) silver stage. I'm not happy with the gun being completely silver, so I'll have to think of something to do to correct that, but otherwise they're turning out pretty good too.

The camo scheme I've chosen is looking much better now there's colours on them other than black. i was a bit worried at the beginning about that.

I'm not sure there's much more to say now apart from showing the pictures. I do have plans for next month's project (a chimera) so I'm hoping I can get that and the remains of these painted by April! Annoyingly the work I have atm won't be out the way til mid to late March.... but then that's half the fun isn't it? ;)

A note about the stormtrooper pictures at the bottom, the unlucky sod who fell off my table and broke whilst I

was taking pictures made me decide that late night picture taking wasn't the best idea.. so I stopped! They're all at the same stage anyway.

See you next month!

Jonik

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:13:36 AM by Jonik »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #10 on: February 7, 2008, 06:14:54 AM »
That is why I suggested that everyone Delete any and all of their extra posts from the first page, and use their modify button to add a brief synopsis of work each month (if you use links to your pics you can actually have quite a few). Thus you can have 3-4 pics (updates) for each month and all of your work together in one post. Of course some will say that it is longer and harder to get feedback that way, true enough. But all you need to do is re-post your updates at the end of the thread as well; like 1 minute extra work for you - instead of a lot of extra work for the guy that tries to complile it all later.

Anyway, that is what I will be doing, I will simply add my updates at the end of the thread. I will also add a link to my original post with all my pics having links to them in there for anyone who want to see it all together.

I can not stress this enough, the use of Thumbnails and/or links are so much better for your overall post with the actual pictures going in your end thread posts.... overwise the first page will turn into a big ball of "What the F----" and take hours for osme people to open (we don't all run T2 conections with a duel Core processor - OK)

PS... I go my 3 Jetbikes and the Vyper pretty well assembled now (still no pics as I think you guys know what a JB or Vyper look like), after I prime I'll get some pics.

CaHG
« Last Edit: February 7, 2008, 11:04:21 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Ion

• 10 shots, one kill.
    • Ion's 40k Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 8, 2008, 12:20:19 AM »
Out of curiosity, Jonik, what doctrines are you going with?  (Us guard guys gotta stick together  ;) )

Grenadiers (obviously), Carapace?, ... what else?

I'm going with Sharpshooters, Mechanised, Hardened Fighters, Die-Hards, and Iron Discipline.  (At least for right now, anyways, I have a tendency to change my mind often)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:04:12 AM by Ion »

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #12 on: February 8, 2008, 02:20:07 AM »
Well, at the moment these units are being meshed into a 1500pt grenadier force with my guard's tanks and elite drop units. Giving:

Grenadiers
Drop troops
Veterans
Special weapon squads

However since I already have all 3 5 man vet squads (2x3 melta, 1x3 plasma), and both 6 man SWSs (demo charge, duel flamer each), and I already have half of my 3 Leman Russes complete... and both hellhounds started... the list that I make for this is probably going to be completely different.

I'm currently in a deal for a load more metal stormtroopers, so the list I make for this could be closer to:

HQ, 4 lasguns

Chimera (autocannon) 10 grenadiers, 2 plasma, plasma pistol

Chimera (autocannon) 10 grenadiers, 2 plasma, plasma pistol

Chimera (TL heavy bolter) 10 grenadiers, 2 plasma, plasma pistol

basilisk (cool idea for a conversion)
Leman Russ
Vanquisher*
Destroyer tank hunter*

*I'm still in the construction phase from when apoc came out so I might finish it here, And yes I know its only 3 HS, but choice is good!

Then go from there....

As for carapace, its way too expensive. Especially since it forces all my squads to take it, and increasing my suicide squad's points by a third is not good!

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #13 on: February 8, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
Update 1

Ok so I went to my friendly local GW store and got a box of Rangers and a Wraithlord. I already had a Codex but as I need to factor that into the cost of my army anyway, that takes me to my limit for this month.

I like the plastic Wraithlord although I'm having some problems posing it. We'll see how that goes.

I'm going for a blue and bone colour scheme (Vanilla Craftworld)

Now I have things painted finally. The Rangers came out nicely, the Wraithlord less so. I really don't like the pose I ended up with, I wanted something dynamic suggesting that he was delicately poised for combat and instead he's sort of half tipping over... Ah well.

I may get another one later just to see if I can do something cool with it.

Rangers:

These guys are a bit rough to be honest, definitely tabletop standard rather than show-piece material. They look nice froma distance however. I try to avoid camo patterns because it usually just ends up looking a mess. The whole point of camo is that it breaks up the outline and lessens the definition, the downside of painting camo is that it breaks up the outlines and lessens the definition... You either have to be very subtle indeed or limit yourself to very large patterns. So I did my capes a ghostly blue-grey to provide a contrast with the Regal Blue armour. The bone coloured weapons are a standard theme which will tie my army together when it's done (I hope).

Wraithlord:

Painted him flat blue with bone weapons and purple gems, highlighted him and decided that he looked a bit flat so I did a sort of winding pale blue ribbon pattern up each leg and on the groin shield and the shoulder armour. The pale blue ribbon has darker blue swirls within it to make it look a bit more interesting. The 'head' has a rather nice stippled effect which came out pretty well I thought.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog

Offline The Voivod

• Masamune Shirork
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
Oh this is cool. I loved those WD articles. I'll be following this. Nice job all
Torture first, then you talk. It's better that way.

Offline Ion

• 10 shots, one kill.
    • Ion's 40k Blog
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »
Crap, 18 days to paint 20 guys! I know that doesn't seem too bad, but with work, school, etc...  I dunno if I am gonna make it this month!  :o  Luckiliy, all my next months should be pretty easy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:07:34 PM by Ion »

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
Crap, 18 days to paint 20 guys! I know that doesn't seem too bad, but with work, school, etc...  I dunno if I am gonna make it this month!  :o  Luckiliy, all my next months should be pretty easy.

at -£5 ;)

Offline Ion

• 10 shots, one kill.
    • Ion's 40k Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 02:11:24 PM »

at -£5 ;)

Of course :P

But really, my next months are just one sqaud or 1 vehicle per month, pretty much.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 02:12:28 PM by Ion »

Offline Alexander's Son

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »

Do glad I'm making Space Wolves... not so many models. And knowing my schedule for the month made it easier to program the first month!

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 03:10:12 AM »
Having bought so far nothing (as I still haven't decided) I have come up with a cunning plan.

Don't buy so much this month when I do buy so that when I do I have a chance to finish it!

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket