News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 67547 times)

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
I'll have to re-read that rule when he brings back the codex. I remember reading the part you quoted DuckWake, but I don't remember that it mentioned charges. Oh well, it only really made a big difference with Snikrot.

I thought three big mobs would just trample his forces, but I did coach him on using the rhino to charge and tie up some mobs and I let myself be distracted by those deepstriking obliterators. I should have jumped the shoota boys in to deal with the noise marines and tied the obliterators up with the grots and left them to the kommandos. The lone dread and KFF big mek was a huge point sink and would have been better spent elsewhere, as well. I also found that having large mobs did prevent a portion of the unit not able to make close combat, especially when assaulting small units. As we're playing power points, I may be tempted to break up some of those mobs to add some extra pk nobs. It's slightly more expensive in power points, but may be well worth it when comparing to what it costs in points and the power klaws made most of the clinching wounds when dealling with power and terminator armour saves. Warbosses I think are a must add as well, if I'm sticking with a greentide. The ability to charge after advancing is huge. Painboys would also be a huge bonus as well. While their area affect FNP works better with larger mobs, with proper positioning, I could make it work with smaller.

I'll see where my heads at in a few weeks when we play again, as I may just try one of the more mobile eldar armies.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #221 on: October 25, 2017, 09:39:56 AM »
Here's an update on the dark brothers. I've been working furiously on trying to complete these four raiders, so that I can start on the infantry. Unfortunately I'm a batch painter, so it takes much longer to actually get some posts up that show any actual changes. The reason I batch paint is to ensure consistency across the paint jobs, especially when I'm trying a new scheme. I've also never painted vehicles before, as I've been dead set against them since the rogue trader days, but I finally had to bite the bullet when it came to dark eldar.

The one raider I bought second hand and was completely built, but I was smart enough when building the other three not to have the masts glued in place. Makes it way easier to paint without those getting in the way.

The rudders were a labour of love and frustration. I wanted to experiment with trying to show heat damage, as they are literally redirecting the raider's thrusters. I think I got it right on the thrusters, as the pewter still shows through, but I'm not sure it works on the rudder. It took me about seven different layers, using Agrax Earthshade, Carroburg Crimson, and Guilliman Blue. I'm thinking of using 'ardcoat to give it a shine, but I didn't want to attempt it without some feedback.

I've also completed the masts for the other three (not pictured) and I'm toying with free-handing glyphs on the sails, but that's for a later date, as I need to come up with something unique.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:44:15 AM by dog_of_war »

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »
These look incredible DoW! Damn I thought I had a sick post to make, but you and Vonny are killing it! Just love this shade of purple to death! Its totally Decepticon Purple (to my Autobot Red) and hence I think its perfect. I love the thorns, and the leadbelcher metallics and the rudders look perfect especially with the heat effects. Just the perfect amount of weathering.

These just look fantastic. You couldn't have picked a better time to start a DE army. They are sooooo good right now. Can't wait to see the infantry! I hope you got some Incubi because I think they'll look amazing in this shade of purple. Anyway great stuff my man keep it up! These look amazing!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »
In the first pic I had difficulty piecing it together but I have to say once you see the wider shot ypu've absolutely nailed it :)

Perfect :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2017, 06:07:59 PM »
Loving the progress bud!
That shade of purple is absolutely awesome and they are really starting to come together with the metal work. Certainly on that first one you have a really nice colour balance. Can't wait to see them completed!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #225 on: October 26, 2017, 02:44:21 AM »
Nice work on the rudders. Such a great idea and execution. The purple is so perfect for the army.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #226 on: October 26, 2017, 03:15:45 AM »
that heat colouring on the rudder behind the engines is an excellent idea, it makes it look realistic and badass at the same time.
Which washes did you use for it?
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #227 on: October 26, 2017, 05:08:54 AM »
Those are coming along brilliantly DoW. The purple is just about the richest purple I've seen anywhere on the interwebs! It really is striking. I think that the heat weathering looks really good. I wouldn't tinker with it.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #228 on: October 27, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »
G'day Dog of War!
Am really enjoying this journey your taking us on, mate. You are the master of metallics with the heat scouring on the rudders... Be well!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #229 on: October 27, 2017, 11:15:00 PM »
@Cav Thanks for the encouragement. You're absolutely right, it's a dead-ringer for decepticon purple. Just wait until I paint up my old-school metal talos. Maybe I'll try to go for a full-on Scorponok with one of them.

@Ynneadwraith you're totally right that's its a little tough to see the effect come together up close. Glad it worked in the wider angle.

@Auric Thanks. Glad you're enjoying the purple. It took me forever to find just the right shade. Hopefully I can get these guys completed soon so I can show them off.

@Dread Appreciate the feedback. I got the idea for the heatweathering from pintrest. Completely different colours and execution, but that's what planted the seed. Glad you like the purple!

@Vonny I started painting the rudders pewter from a non-GW acrylic line. Then I washed the bottom half with Agrax Earthshade. I then built up the edges using Carroburg Crimson and Guilliman Blue in successive layers. The pure pewter ovals are from me rubbing off the washes with my fingernail to expose the bare metal again. I wanted it to seem like the most intense burning occurring at the closest part of the rudder to the thrusters, but there would also be a wrap-around flame licking the back end of the rudder. The thrusters were the same pewter, with a wash of a flat black acrylic and then washed with Guilliman Blue.

@Looshkin That means a lot coming from my favourite painter on the boards (sorry Cav, you've yet to paint an Ork). The purple is from Golden Paints in their Fluid Acrylics line. It's called Dioxazine Purple. It has the consistency of a GW glaze, but has such an intense colour fastness. It's perfect for airbrushing, but it would work great as a wash in it's own right.

@Saim-dann Thanks. Glad you liked the heat scouring. It took an unbelievable amiunt of time, but I think it was totally worth it. Especially with all the positive feedback I've received so far, which I am truly grateful.

Just another quick update, as I keep chugging along on these raiders. Just the finishing touches now.

Here's the finished sails and heavy weapons. I also started adding a little more pop to the ram in the front. Built up the purple's through the GW line from Naggaroth Night to Xereus Purple to Warlock Purple. Not sure if it's too pink, but I like to think it adds a glow to the rune. I wouldn't be disappointed if everyone thought the pinkish tone was too much, as it's easily reversed.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:18:20 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #230 on: October 28, 2017, 02:28:14 AM »
Looking good DoW!
Is that the shade of red you'll use for the runes on the sails?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #231 on: October 28, 2017, 06:45:25 AM »
GORGEOUS! Damn man I'm LOVING the look of these raiders. Also don't change anything on the shock prow. I love the warlock purple. I just got the new version Pink Horror and am itching to apply it to everything now. I think its perfect.

Also YES! Talos Scorponok is pure win! BTW you know my army is themed after Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime right? lol.. no lie! If we ever battled it be Rodimus vs. Galvatron lol

Anyway great stuff my man. Keep it up this is a classic looking DE force after my own heart.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
The purple is from Golden Paints in their Fluid Acrylics line. It's called Dioxazine Purple. It has the consistency of a GW glaze, but has such an intense colour fastness. It's perfect for airbrushing, but it would work great as a wash in it's own right.

Thanks for the answers DoW. I'll have to look into that line of paints, as it's not something I've used before. The results speak for themselves though, the finish is absolutely killer.

@Looshkin That means a lot coming from my favourite painter on the boards (sorry Cav, you've yet to paint an Ork).

Yeah! beslubber You Cav! I'm the best because I once painted an Ork! Yeah!*

...ahem...sorry...l ost my composure there for a bit...

DoW the progress on these is mind-meltingly cool. Seriously, the finish is spectacular and every update throws in something else which just looks terrific.

In this case, the Shock Prow is superb. No way is it too pink. It's perfect. It pops so much and really brings the model to life.

Be proud of the work you're doing here DoW, it's some of your best.

*Please never paint an Ork Cav, just let me have this. Please?

WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
@Looshkin- Damn dude you had me cracking up there. Literally laughing there man. Oh damn that was funny. I vow I shall never paint an Ork!

@DoW- No worries my man. Looshkin stuff is absolute magic. You've chosen well!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
SHINEY!!! I like it, good heavy look and the red pops of especially from the great wash work around it.

As for the sails, put some kinda design on them, just my suggestion, instead of leaving the nice piece of painting real estate blank. Maybe a honeycomb or lace design.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
@Dread I like your idea of doing a pattern on the sails, making them appear like aether sails, especially since I now have the airbrush up and running and a stencil wouldn't be hard to dig up. I'd have to weigh the choices between doing that or putting on a rune/sigil on the sail because it would be just too busy to do both? What do you think, pattern or symbol?

@Saim-dann it's actually Warlock Purple so its more a shade of pink. I may use it on the sails with a deep purple, if I do the symbol or I may go the route Dread suggested. I'm down for taking a vote on it. Dark Eldar were founded on a democracy, right?  ::)

Well the raider crew has given me a good opportunity to test out the scheme on some infantry models. I tried a few techniques and went with a very similar one I used for my eldar. I base coated Dioxine Purple with the airbrush, then highlighted the armour plates with Xerus Purple, and then washed with the Dioxine Purple again. Picked out some details with the pewter and Hashut Copper and did the face mask glow with Warlock Purple. The colours kind of washed out in the photos (I really need a light box), but I hope you get the idea.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 11:04:11 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:40 AM »
G'day DoW!
He's looking Micky Mouse, mate. Are you sure he won't get lost in all that purple onboard? Symbol or pattern? Which one would suit the fluff of your particular army?... A pattern would be my vote though. Really nicely painted crewman, Dog of War. Am jealous of your skills... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »
Looking killer man. Are you gonna give him gold/hashat copper shoulder pads and what not? I think that'd look good. I love that helmet by the way, its so grim looking. This force is coming together nicely. I'm a big fan of the raider in this addition. The lances and extra wounds put it over the top for me vs. the Venom. Anyway great stuff DoW looking forward to seeing what you are gonna load into those Raiders. I'm hoping Incubi are included!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #238 on: November 3, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Thanks for the compliments Saim-dann. I've layered on Xerus Purple over the airbrush to lighten the crew significantly, so they don't blend in too much with the transport. Once I take the fully assembled photos (should be soon now) you should be able to tell them apart.

@Cav I was going to keep the shoulder pads purple and just do all the spikes Hashut. Once everything is together, if it's too much purple, as Saim-dann suggested it may be, I'll take up your suggestion and do the whole shoulder pad Hashut.

So now that all the crew, heavy weapons, and trophies/spears are painted I seem have a dilemma. I need to figure out my heraldry for the army so I can finish the pennants and I need to determine what to do with the sails.

I like the stories behind either the Obsidian Rose or the Poisoned Tongue and I'm also a sucker for a female leader. Both kind of fit my overall force concept of heavy infantry and special weapon based units, but their colour schemes are drastically different than my own. However the Kabal of the Last Hatred matches my colour scheme to a tee and the story-line can fit with my force, as I do use a large amount of pain engines. I wanted to make my own kabal, but the transfers are just so nice and I really wanted to use them for once, since I have a very nice and clean painted army for once.

I also really like the idea of using a stencil to airbrush a web pattern on the sails. I found a neat pattern I could use to stencil at a local dollar store, but I'll have to drastically change the colours of the sail. I'll most likely have to paint it all black and then do a bright colour for the cells like a bright pink or green to get the desired effect. The other option is to use some of those very pretty transfers.

What do you guys think? Oh and by the way, the name I was going to give my Kabal was the Silent Scream. They mutilate their prisoners so that they cannot scream when tortured (cut out tongues/vocal cords) in the belief that screaming allows the victim to find a release from pain. Kind of ties in with the back story of the Last Hatred, where they are masters of extending lives of their slaves indefinitely. Do Kabals have off-shoots? 

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #239 on: November 3, 2017, 03:21:18 PM »
Hey DoW I seriously dig the name Kabal of the Silent Scream. Great idea... But I wouldn't change the color of the sails to lay down your glyph. I think Pink Horror would look perfectly fine over the bone. I'd lay down a dark Khorne Red first and then put Pink Horror on over it just to get it good and dark. Thats just me though.