News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Torn between two Knight lists - 1850pts  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Torn between two Knight lists - 1850pts
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:54:44 PM »
I'm going to be picking up my third knight soon, and I am undecided on how I want it modelled up.  I'm not sure if I want to go with the Warden or the Crusader.

Here are the two lists I have been considering:

Quote from: List One - Warden
Imperial Knight Baronial Court - 1160pts
Knight Warden:  Baron, Stormspear Rocket Pod.  415pts
Knight Paladin375pts
Knight Errant370pts

Combined Arms Detachment (Dark Angels) - 690pts
HQ
Librarian:  Mastery Level 2, Terminator Armour.  115pts

Elites
5 Deathwing Terminators:  Assault Cannon; Sergeant w/ Thunder Hammer / Storm Shield.  230pts

Troops
5 Tactical Marines:  Melta Gun, Drop Pod.  115pts

Total Points:  1850
Model Count:  26

The benefit you get from having the Warden here is that it can keep pace with the other two Knights to benefit from all abilities from the formation.  You have the intimidation factor of having the three D-weapons in combat and some decent firepower.

Quote from: List Two - Crusader
Imperial Knight Baronial Court - 1215pts
Knight Crusader:  Baron, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Rapid-fire Battle Cannon / Avenger Gatling Cannon.  470pts
Knight Paladin375pts
Knight Errant370pts

Combined Arms Detachment (Dark Angels) - 690pts
HQ
Librarian:  Mastery Level 2, Bike, Shroud of Heroes.  125pts

Troops

Fast Attack
Ravenwing Land Speeder:  Typhoon Missile Launcher / Multi-Melta.  85pts
Ravenwing Land Speeder:  Typhoon Missile Launcher / Multi-Melta.  85pts

Model Count:  23
A few less models, drop one of the D-weapons, but a vast increase in the available firepower to the list.  The Crusader is still alright in combat, but that is not really where he wants to be.  If he gets in combat he is not taking advantage of his two big guns.

Both lists have appeals to me, and I am leaning more towards the Crusader, but I'd like to get some opinions from other people.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Torn between two Knight lists - 1850pts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:17:49 PM »
I think your Crusader option is better for the list. He can advance between the two as a "reverse spearpoint" kind of idea, with your D-Weapons out front and to the side a bit to intercept "dangerous" units. Like you said, the Crusader's no slouch in CC, though it is obviously better to be shooting.

Rather than the Podded Tacticals, how would you feel about Scouts with a Meltabomb? At half the price, you have comparable abilities while maintaining the Objective-theiving abilities. You could take more units of 5, or spend the points on alternatives.

While I like the idea of Land Speeders [and RW versions probably have cool rules I don't know of] I think you'd be better off with Biker units instead.

So a suggestion would be to swing Scouts and Bikes as your non-Knight components. :)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Torn between two Knight lists - 1850pts
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
I've been fiddling with this army since I made the list with the Crusader, and I am trying to find the ideal combination of units to support the knights.

The list that I took to a tournament and have done relatively well with was the list above with the Crusader, but I swapped the Land Speeders for a Culexus Assassin and did some other minor tinkering.  I really liked how it played, but I ran into the issue that the Marines were simply throw away units that didn't contribute to the battle once they were out of their Drop Pods.  And while the Drop Pods were helpful to have immobile ObSec units that could hold objectives, the list really suffered when it came to taking objectives.

So I took another look at the army, and this time I thought about running all Land Speeders.  This is what I am considering now:

Baronial Court
Knight Crusader:  Baron, Rapid-fire Battlecannon, Avenger Gatling cannon, Stormspear Rocket Pods.  470pts
Knight Errant370pts
Knight Paladin375pts

Ravenwing Strike Force
Librarian:  Mastery Level 2, Bike, Shroud of Heroes.  120pts

Ravenwing Darkshroud80pts
Ravenwing Land Speeders:  Assault Cannon / Heavy Bolters.  70pts
Ravenwing Land Speeders:  Multi-Melta / Typhoon Missile Launcher.  85pts
Ravenwing Land Speeders:  Multi-Melta / Typhoon Missile Launcher.  85pts
Ravenwing Attack Bike:  Multi-Melta.  55pts

Model Count:  11

The idea with the Land Speeders is that they are going to be a hell of a lot more useful than 12 Bolter Marines and 3 Melta guns.  The Tornado pattern (AC/HB) have the speed and range to be effective anti-infantry, which should be significant when coupled with the Knights.  The two Typhoons and the Attack Bike give a much needed anti-armour punch.

If I know I am not getting the first turn, I can leave the Ravenwing in reserve and have them come out on turn 2.

The one thing I am not sure on is whether or not it would be wise to swap out one Typhoon and the Attack Bike so I can fit a Culexus Assassin in the list to help with psychic defense.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...