News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Please tell me this was a fluke!  (Read 3045 times)

Offline Gunner_Sabot_Tank

• Armies: IG, GK, Tyranids, Blood Angels
Please tell me this was a fluke!
« on: May 3, 2013, 05:56:47 PM »
So in my 2nd match with my nids I faced my friend's new Eldar army last night and couldn't believe how fast my flyrant went down. I went first and swooped him across. In his turn 1 shooting he hits and wounds with 2 missiles from his war walkers, I fail my grounded test (taking the all but automatic wound), and take a one shot one kill from his wraithlord. I will admit the dice gods had forsaken me but please tell me thats all this was, just bad luck, and not something I can expect to see all the time.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
Re: Please tell me this was a fluke!
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2013, 07:28:05 PM »
One shot kill from the wraithlord? Was it down to one wound already?

I have found charging Flyrants straight into the enemies' faces a bad idea. Flanking, hugging cover, and having nearby units to support generally help their survivability. I try not to let anything valuable in my army get stranded.

« Reply #2 on: May 3, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »
One shot kill from the wraithlord? Was it down to one wound already?

I have found charging Flyrants straight into the enemies' faces a bad idea. Flanking, hugging cover, and having nearby units to support generally help their survivability. I try not to let anything valuable in my army get stranded.

Yeah, took two from the war walkers and one from grounding. I wasn't even trying to charge him healong into his front lines. The plan was fly down his flank shooting then across his rear shooting and vector striking and use him to draw fire from my advancing lines.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline devil58

• cool guys don't look at explosions
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »
Yeah I hear ya...the thing about Flyrants is that you can fail your first grounding test and go poof, or you can pass 4-5 tests in one turn and still be in the air. This is why I usually run 2 Flyrants or none (usually using swarmlord in some form if no Flyrants). I have many games where one Flyrant bites it early, bu the other one swoops around all game causing havoc wherever I need it!

« Reply #4 on: May 3, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to field two flyrants but I only have the one right now. The only other thing I can field is an armored shell tyrant that I just kitbashed two nights ago out of a carnifex body I picked up with a T-Fex head and spare tyrant arms.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2013, 12:09:03 AM »
Keep in mind that there is nothing in the rules for FMC that say they can't get cover saves from area terrain, so the very best thing is to swoop your Tyrant into area terrain where he will benefit from the cover save when being shot at.

Generally speaking, a good list should have enough target saturation that it won't matter if you lose the Tyrant. Yes, it will suck, but it shouldn't ruin your entire battle plan.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2013, 01:54:40 AM »
Keep in mind that there is nothing in the rules for FMC that say they can't get cover saves from area terrain, so the very best thing is to swoop your Tyrant into area terrain where he will benefit from the cover save when being shot at.

By this same logic, though, fliers would benefit from cover as well and I don't know any players who would agree that something (creature or machine) soaring through the air would be able to benefit from area terrain. I'd love to play my flyrant like this but can you point me to a rule or page # to help support this? No one in my group is a RAW guru (what would the opposite be?) so rules debates tend to revolve around RAI.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2013, 03:31:37 AM »
Flyer are vehicles and thus the only way they can gain a cover save is to be 25% obscured (hard for a flyer) as per the rules on P74-75.

Where as FMC can gain a save from 25% obscured (much easier when not on a massive tall base) but more importantly they gain a save just from having their little toe in area terrain P91.

This maynot seem realistic but then neither is a bloodthirster crashing to ground when someone hits him with a laspistol but both are covered by the rules we play by.

Also remember a FMC can drive to gain a jink save, worth doing when you get hit by two missile launchers and have twin-linked weapons.

« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2013, 05:17:42 PM »
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the Jink save  :(. I'm still trying to get all the rules down that I never had to worry about with my other two armies. Fliers in general are rare in my group and FMCs were unheard of till my nids came on scene.
Vincere Vel Mori

Offline Hive Fleet Bahamut

• I like to play with my food before I eat it!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
Fluke?  No.  Uncommon, somewhat.  I have had games just like that, and just like the other posters, they wreck face some games too.  I thought getting grounded against a las weapon was bad, but I cringe at getting markelit? Down.. 

Area terrain is good, but by no means a sure defence.  Sometimes the dice gods just aren't with us.  My last game against daemons saw his warlord get vaporized by Slaanesh.  Rules may be flimsy sometimes, but all part of the fun.
Tyranid assimilation brought to you by the letters "Om nom"

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 03:09:07 AM »
worth doing when you get hit by two missile launchers and have twin-linked weapons.
Or if you're kitted for close quarters.

One of the scariest things I've seen recently from Daemon armies is a literal 'flying wedge' of three to five flying monstrous creatures. Go on, fire your quad gun. I dare you.

That's the key to it, really. Most eldar units have a high enough rate of fire that anyone shooting at a winged tyrant will probably land at least one hit. Keeping one winged monstrous creature on the ground isn't that hard, any more than is destroying one tank or one dreadnought. Either (a) accept he's a bullet magnet who may not reach the enemy, accept you'll lose him in return for distracting the enemy and be pleasantly surprised when you don't, (b) bring two or more of them to saturate the skies, or (c) hold him in reserve and drop him in in turn 2-3 when the enemy is nicely distracted.
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:27 AM »
bit of a late entry here, but I find the best way to use flying monsterous creatures is often in a ground role.  I've modeled up some Harpies, which have much less reason than a Hive Tyrant to go about getting into ground fights, but even they are better used smashing vehicles than vector striking them.  I think I average about 1-1.5 turns airborne with FMCs in my last few games; largely because of the somewhat over-aggressive rules for downing them.

As for getting shot out of the sky, yeah, that happens.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk