News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 points in a case...  (Read 297 times)

Offline davidks

• Coffee...
1000 points in a case...
« on: April 13, 2005, 05:40:19 AM »
first real list ive thought up, with a couple of factors influencing its design...
1 - im a student, and as such ii dont have a great deal of money to waste.
2 - it fits into a single carry case (3 layers of foam, not a gw brand one but an old camera equipment case i had which is the same size)  The case can hold 58 models in the space left after i have cut the sections for the 2 raiders and the talos out.  That being said, im sure i could squeeze a few more models in if i needed to

just looking for advice or opinions reallly...

Dave's Dark Eldar Army 1000 points

HQ
Archon w/ shadowfield, Agoniser, Combat drugs                     130
Retinue
5 Incubi w/   2 Blasters, Incubi Master, Raider w/ horrorfex, Night shield           215

Dracon w/ Agoniser, Combat Drugs                               80
Retinue
9 warriors w/   Splinter Cannon, Blaster, Sybarite w/ poisoned blades,
Raider w/ horrorfex                                            158

Troops
20 warriors w/   2 dark lance                                           180

10 warriors w/   2 dark lances                                      100

Heavy Support
Talos                                                        100

Total                                                        963
Not only are you wrong, the rules say you're a dick

W - L - D
DE   6 - 4 - 4

Offline Reuban

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: 1000 points in a case...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:48:50 AM »
I'm not a pro, but here are some things I would suggest:

Trade the Dracon for Wyches
Drop a few warriors from the 20 man sqaud and the talos for a ravenger.

Don't know if this would all fit in your case.  The talos for ravenger change is more preference, but I think you will get more help from the wyches than the second HQ unit.

Reu

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 10:14:53 AM »
More than 1/2 of your army is in HQs.  You will not last long I'm afraid.

Get rid of one of the HQs slots.  Granted a Drachon is cheaper than an Archon but I like the extra wound (Drug rolls get one from my Lord every game) and the Inititiative helps.  At 1000 points I usually use 2 Haemis with destructors and put them in Raider squads.   

Drop the Incubi Master and the 2 Blasters from the Retinue.  He isn't needed and IMHO Incubi are fielded for one reason only.  HtH combat.  Why take away 2 PW attacks for Blasters?  If your Retinue needs to shoot, something went bad wrong.

By dropping the Incubi Blasters you will free up enough points to bust that one 20 man DL squad into 2 10 man DL squads.  You gain a better retinue and an extra DL squad with increased tank killing range. 

I personally feel that Night shields on anything other than a Ravager are wasted points.  You want your HQs in HtH so it will be in range anyways.  Use terrain to keep it alive. 

MORE TROOPS.  As it stands right now you will almost be outnumbered by a standard SM army not a good thing with DE.   

I don't use GW cases myself as I'd need too many to haul my army around.  I bought 2 Black and Decker plastic tool boxes for $9.00 each and a foam mattress pad for about $11.00 if memory serves.  The pad is egg crate shaped so individual minis have a snug place to ride.  I simply cut it to fit down in the boxes.  I can get 2 layers of minis and 5 Raiders/Ravagers plus a Talos in each case. Plus the toolboxes have little removable bins in the top for dice, flying bases ect...

Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline davidks

• Coffee...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 01:54:11 PM »
quick rewrite...

HQ
Archon w/ shadowfield, Agoniser, Combat drugs                     130
Retinue
9 warriors w/   Splinter Cannon, Blaster, Sybarite w/ poisoned blades            
Raider w/ horrorfex                                    158

Elites
10 wyches w/ P.grenades, Wych weapons,  succubus w/ P.blades, goblet of spite         
Raider w/ horrorfex                                    218

Troops
10 warriors w/ 2 dark lance                           100

Heavy Support
Talos                                    100

Total                                    906

Models in army:   50

this gives me 100 points spare for tweaking etc etc... 
Not only are you wrong, the rules say you're a dick

W - L - D
DE   6 - 4 - 4

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:18:34 PM »
Wish I had my CODEX here at the office to figure up the points but:

Make sure your Lord has a splinter pistol (+1 attack) and she and the Retinue have PGs.
Some are but I am not a fan of warriors (save the occasional Splinter Cannon) as a Retinue.  They need 4s to hit SMs and 5s to wound them.  SMs have a 3+ save.  How many do you think that lone Agonizer on the lord will take out?  SMs need 4s to hit and 3s to wound DE.  With a 5+ save how many do you think will live?  Bottom line is you will probably loose the first round of CC and take enough casualties to be below 50%.  If you fail the LD check your Lord will run off of the board.  Nothing is more embarrassing than that.  If I take a Retinue it will be Incubi.  PWs will rule the day and they pack get plenty.  At 1K points if you have any, think about putting your lord on a Reaver.

Wyches-  Give the Sucubus an Agonizer.  Since you plan on packing 3 DL squads I'd say put Disintegrators on both Raiders.  Goblet of spite is actually worthless to Wyches unless you are going after a character with a base STR greater than 6.  With WW you halve your opponents WS so against a standard SM you hit him on 3s anyway.  What makes it bad is you now allow him to hit you on 3s instead of 4s, 5s if you luck out and get +1 WS for a drug roll.  Dump it. 

Warriors - Never can have enough DLs.  Would consider using the points you have/save and making one large warrior squad with 2 SC and 2 Blasters to pack some mobile firepower.

Talos - Be careful here.  You have 2 great HtH units on fast Raiders (as they should be) and a HtH beast moving a measly 6" each turn.  Don't drop him though.  Just pay attention to where he is.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.