News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 3K WWP DE for fighting Dark Angels  (Read 314 times)

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
3K WWP DE for fighting Dark Angels
« on: April 8, 2005, 07:45:29 PM »
Fighting a good friend this weekend and we are going to use 3K points.  In the last 8 months we've fought a little over a dozen battles at 2K and he has beaten me once.  I don't want this to be #2.

Some things I know he will take: 6 X Landspeeders, Full Terminator SQD, 2X Dev sqds, 1 Assault squad, 2 Dreads, Whirlwind, Chaplain w/Jumppack, Librarian w/command sqd, and his tac squads are all on foot.

I have every type of unit/character available in full squad size to swap out if there is a glaring hole in the list.  Also have 2 Ravagers and 1 Raider not included in the list.  Not crazy about the Reavers but wasn't sure where to put the last 145 points and that number fit.

Kabal of Gore (129 Minis in list)

HQs 23%
Asdurbael Vect
Dracon - AG, SP, CD, SF, Trophy Rack
Incubi X 6 and Drahzarr
Raider w/DL

Elites 27%
2X 10 man Wyche Sqd - 2X Blaster, PG, HG, WW, Succ (AG, SP) Raider w/DL
1X 10 man Wyche Sqd - PG, WW (AG, SP) Raider w/ Dis
Warp Beast Pack

Troops 33%
2X DL Sniper sqds
2X 16 man Foot Sqd - 2X SC, 2X Blaster, Sybarite (WWP, SP, PB)
2X Raider Sqd - SC, Blaster, Sybarite (AG, SP) Disintegrator on Raiders

Fast ATK 4%
5X Reavers - 2 X Blaster

HS 10%
2 X Talos
1X Ravager - 3X DL, Night Shields
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
Re: 3K WWP DE for fighting Dark Angels
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2005, 08:10:36 PM »
Looks good, but I would definately increase your WWP Warrior squads to the full 20 men each. You're facing 3000pts of Dark Angels, so you want these squads to be as survivable as possible. You might even think about taking three portals, as in 3000pts the extra expense is relatively small. Drop the Warp Beasts and/or the Wych Haywire Grenades for the points.

Your assault element is strong, I think these will be tearing the enemy to shreds.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2005, 08:12:07 PM by Grey Area »

Offline LesserEvil

• Meh… you all bleed the same!
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2005, 10:19:12 PM »
I really like the list over all its great, but the WWP portal squads do need 20 men each. However i love Warpbeasts they are nasty for their points, so i would recommend not dropping them but getting more, unfortunately you cant with a Kabal, (unless you are using 2 charts) I would say you may benefit from 2 charts. Other then that great list.)

-In this world everything changes except good deeds and bad deeds; these follow you as the shadow follows the body.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
WAS 3K WWP DE for fighting Dark Angels (now Bat rep)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:16:48 PM »
Well I fought the battle.  Made a few changes to the list.  Dropped the Warp Beast and Reavers to 3.  Upped the WWP squads to 20 and added some miscellaneous wargear to round out the points. 

We decided on a random GT scenario and rolled "personal objectives".  I had first placement and he had first turn.  One WWP squad was placed in the lower left of my DZ and the second placed in the upper right.  One DL squad in the center in ruined Bld, the second in trees in the upper right. 

Turn 1.
DA.  Landspeeders, LR, 2 Whirlwinds Dev squad engage left WWP squad.  Everything hits and squad decides not to stick around. 
DE.  2nd WWP squad moves forward and FoFs.  DL squad kills 2 speeders and remnants of WP squad kill the third with SC.  Other DL squad kills LR

Turn 2.
DA.  Moves Dreads toward last WWP squad.  Tac/Assalut squads move forward.  Dev squad and whrilwind fire at Sniper sqd killing 3.
DE.  WWP opens.  Serveral units make Reserve roll.  Held for WWP.  DL squad kills a trooper from Dev sqd.

Turn 3.
DA.  Terminators DS near WWP.  Tac squads move toward objective tokens.  Dreads assault WWP squad. 
DE.  All reserve rolls made but 2 Raider squads.  Taloi assault Dreads, 1 Wyche Squad assaults terminators (Disintegrator fire kill all but 2 first).  2 Wyche Squads and Vect assault DA assault squad and 1 tac squad.  Hqs assaults Tac Sqd in center.  Ravager turbos to get LOS on whirlwinds.  Bikes turbo to objective marker in center.

Turn 4. 
DA.  All units but Dev sqd in HtH.  Whirlwinds fire on Wyche Sqd that killed Terminators.  Both scatter too far for damage. 
DE.  HQS massacres Tac Sqd.  Taloi kill Dreads.  HtH with Vect ongoing.  Bad saves kill 1/2 of 1 Wyche Sqd.  Ravager kills 1 Whirlwind.  Raider sqd and bikes kill all but 2 in Dev sqd.

Turn 5
DA.  HtH kills few Wyches.  Last Whirlwind fires killing 2 Wyches.  Remaining Dev sqd kills Raider, 2 warrior casualties.
DE.  Remaining Raider kills last Whirlwind.  Ravager and Bikes kill remaining Devs.  HQS and Talos join assault on left. 

Turn 6
DA.  Remiaining units in HtH all killed.  Game called

What worked.
WWPs in large games.  I would have had a packed parking lot in my DZ which would have resulted in the loss of several units since I would not have been able to hide them all.
Multiple units in assault at the same time (DE 101 just wanted to point it out). 

What didn't work.
Initially me.  I gave 1 WWP squad away due to tactical error.  Instead of moving them forward into the open, I could have moved them to the side into a ruined bld for a cover save.
Vect model.  Never earned his points back.  Low STR and 5 attacks means he is all but useless in HtH against SMs.  By the time he came on most DA units were in HtH so the DL/Disintegrators were no help.  Should have taken a Lord on a Skyboard and Hellions or one on a RJB and upped the numbers of the bike squad.
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »
Good win. You got some lucky first turn shooting there, but you'd have been able to kill those vehicles in later turns anyway without too much trouble.