News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Croneworld Eldar vs Sisters  (Read 962 times)

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Croneworld Eldar vs Sisters
« on: June 1, 2015, 07:24:57 PM »
So I finally got to give my revamped list a test run at 1750, had an interesting time.

Am practicing for a tournament that allows unrestricted D weapons, but does not allow superheavies or gargantuans, so no WK.

My friend recently acquired an imperial knight, so I let him rock it out anyway.

Eldar list:

Farseer - jetbike, stone
Farseer - jetbike

5 D-guard > had to try them!
Wave serpent - holo-fields
5 Fire Dragons + Exarch
Wave Serpent - holo-fields

10 Guardians
4 Scatbikes
3 Scatbikes
3 Jetbikes

Hemlock Wraithfighter

Aspect Host:
4 Dark Reapers + Exarch
6 Swooping Hawks + Exarch
8 Warp Spiders + Exarch

Sisters of Battle + IK

HQ squad - cannonness w/ eviscerator, priest, 8 sisters, heavy flamer
Repressor Rhino

5 sisters - 4 melta
Immolator - melta
5 sisters - 4 melta
Immolator - melta

5 sisters - Flamer, heavy flamer
Immolator - melta
5 sisters - Flamer, heavy flamer
Immolator - melta
5 sisters - heavy bolter

2x Exorcist

1x Imperial Knight - 2x stubber, 1x anti-air gun

Mission was BAO scenario 2, Vanguard strike, KP primary, Maelstrom secondary. Eldar won DZ and chose a side with a nice big ruin in the corner, a huge LOS-blocking ruin on the right flank, and a tall broken ruin on the far left.

Warlord traits -- Eldar: Master of Ambush; Sisters: Warlord gets Rage

Psychic powers - Warlord: Guide, Executioner, Mind War, Eldritch Storm (haha, all 3 witchfire powers!); Farseer: Guide, Executioner, Doom, Fortune. Not great, not bad.

Sisters deploy first, lining up along the DZ edge with a squad of melta sisters, then regulars, the Knight in the middle, HQ squad, regular squad, melta squad. Excorcists in the back with 5-lady squad with heavy bolter.

Eldar group up in the three different ruins, dark reapers in the far cover out of LOS, guardians up front hugging ruins to draw fire. Jetbikes on the left, farseer & swooping hawks on the right behind LOS-blocking ruin. Infiltrators sees the Dragons infiltrate in their serpent in the far left ruin, warp spiders infiltrate out of LOS on the right, along with D-guard in their tank behind ruins on the right.

Sisters scout up melta squads on left and right, then take first turn, racing forward then dropping out to ace the wave serpents on either side. When the dust settles, both tanks have lost a few HP but are still kicking! Holo-fields are great, as even against cover-ignoring shots you get a save, very nice! Meanwhile, the exorcist and battle cannon shots shoot one unit of jetbikes off the table, and make the other fall back at half strength. First blood to sisters!

Eldar bounce back, the D-guard dropping and destroying an immolator, a rhino, and a squad of melta sisters. The swooping hawks bound forward and take the knight in the rear arc, stripping 1 HP. Warp Spiders jump forward and destroy the Repressor rhino (which was a bit of a mistake), then run to screen the D-guard.
Reapers blow up another immolator, and the dragons on the left pretty much whiff against the melta squad. Hawks take no casualties to overwatch, charge in against the knight, and strip another 2 HP with Haywire. Was hoping for more!

Turn 2 the Cannoness and squad had their ride destroyed last turn, so are free to assault this turn (should have let them sit it out), so they move up on the D-guard with some battle sisters as a screen. Flamers targeting the wraithguard also take out 3 warp spiders (can't flickerjump if you're not the target!), and assault only kills 2-3 d-guard to 1-2 sisters, although the d-scythes did take out a sisters squad on the overwatch. On the left, the wave serpent is destroyed, and a reaper is killed. In combat the hawks fail to do much if anything to the knight, which was a bit worse than I had expected, and end up getting mulched.

Eldar Turn 2 sees the Hemlock come in, hiding behind some ruins - Interceptor shooting from the Knight strips 1 HP, but the Hemlock drops two D templates on the big robot and makes it go thermal. Jetbike shuriken catapult shooting puts the leftmost melta sisters down to one model, who the 3 jetbikes then assault. She makes her armour save, strikes back, kills one jetbike, they fail their morale, roll a 1 for initiative, and are run down for their pains! Wow the jetbikes have not been pulling their weight this game! In other areas, a couple straggler squads are picked off by the spiders and wave serpent, the reapers puts1 HP on an exorcist, stunning it.

Sisters Turn 3 is looking grim, as their mobility is severely limited at this point, and the quick loss of the knight removed their midfield presence entirely. The cannonness and squad is almost at full strength, but too far out on the right to be useful without getting torn up by the reapers and guardians first. The rest of the game sees the wraithguard get finished up, a few more spiders killed, but the hemlock goes on to kill both exorcists, the warlord farseer casts a brutal couple of eldritch storms to pin and kill some sisters, and by turn 5 only the cannonesss is left skulking behind a wave serpent wreckage.

Thoughts on new codex:
1. Aspect hosts with high BS & re-rolling LD are really effective! 
2. Really happy with the new warp spiders, they are sneaky, dynamic, powerful, and resilient too.
3. D-guard are brutal. I'm not a big fan, but they so compelling I am going to keep playing them for the near future.
4. 18" movement for hawks is really crazy, I am going to model up some new hawks and try them out more. That extra 6" is huge!
5. As long as you can avoid jinking, the Hemlock can do horrible things to MCs and vehicles. As soon as you jink its a bit of a lame duck.
6. Scatbikes were not super useful for x pts each. Either I need to pad their units with extra bodies to take casualties, or leave them in reserve to alpha-strike when not going first. Either way, their footprint is quite big, making staying out of the line of fire very difficult. Getting a cover save is OK, but with only Marine toughness you will still take a lot of wounds from concentrated shooting, and with just above average leadership they are not that reliable. I will keep the laser bikes in the list for a bit, but think some more about how they actually play out, and how best to combo with other units. Attaching a farseer helps with Ld, but also makes them more of a target priority...

Anyway, thought I would share my initial thoughts.

Cheers
Ibushi

Excessive stats removed to comply with GW's copyright.  Please see forum rule 1 for further details - Iris.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2015, 05:06:49 AM by Irisado »
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Croneworld Eldar vs Sisters
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »
Thanks for the report! :)

Have you thought about an Autarch with Swooping Hawk wings & the Shard of Anaris making turn one assaults? It's quite possible.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2015, 10:22:53 PM »
Cheers man, figured I would share some of my thoughts.

I have really considered the autarch options, be it with wings, bike, or warp jump, and at the end of the day he has just proven too squishy for the points.

The +1 to reserves can be great, especially with the Hemlock and possibly reserving jetbikes. But even then, with them coming in on a 3+ now T2, I still cant justify the poor guy in light of replacing a Farseer and the potential 4 kickass psychic powers he brings.

If anyone has some epic autarch stories I would be more than delighted to hear them, or find ways to reconsider. In the past I had great success running a farseer + autarch attached to a regular jetbike squad + warlock, turboboosting them into squishy units with Fortune up. But there are too many things that can KO that combo real fast these days...

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline DCannon ForLife

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2015, 10:41:32 PM »
I've run a Turn Two (Beta Strike?) list since the 6th ed. Eldar codex, and stopped playing a Farseer at all once 7th ed. 40K dropped. I used to try for Scryer's Gaze when I had a Farseer (rolling on Divination exclusively). I don't like the way psychic powers work in 7th (I like reliability), so I put the Farseer on the shelf and started using an Autarch almost exclusively.

My battle reports, if you're interested: dcannon4life - YouTube

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2015, 11:34:54 AM »
... May I point out that it's not possible for you to have 4 power on you farseer unless you go for a psychic focus...  so you played with both farseer at 4 power when they could only get 3. Or i missed some special rule somewhere.
Thanks for the report.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
Cheers Mr Dcan, that is a sweet youtube channel!

The cloudstrike formation is also one I really like the idea of, but havent quite brought myself to play yet, looks pretty mean.

Having such unreliable powers for Farseers is a bit of a pain, which is why I'm still running 2 consistently. Even so, one psychic power at the right time has turned games around for me so many times, it's hard to get away from the old crystal-bones.

Grizzly you'll notice that the farseers all have powers from Runes of Fate, which I believe is how you get psychic focus, so no you didnt miss any special rules.

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2015, 05:22:12 PM »
Holy cow my bad! As i'm not english they all seemed totally of to me, executioner did not ring any bell neither did mind war yet i rolled it last week... I'm such a dummy T-T let me apologise for that.

The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2015, 05:41:40 PM »
Also for the record, Executioner, Mind War & Eldritch Storm are a terrible combination.

Eldritch Storm is pretty good, but it costs a ton of dice, even with re-roll, so I cast that first.

Then I have 1-2 dice left for either Executioner or Mind War, which I have not managed to successfully cause damage with haha.

In an ideal world I suppose you cast Executioner on 2 WC, and put 3 wounds on a single model of your choice, but with saves allowed.

Or else you try and have a mental duel with a random model for 2WC, or a model of your choice for 3WC, and maybe cause wounds with no saves allowed.

Actually come to think of it Executioner might be a bit better in this regard, as a power to use up those last few dice...

Thanks Grizzly!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Grizzlykin

« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
Thanks Grizzly!

If you want... but my intervention was totally useless i think, out of making you think maybe. Thanks for tips btw ^^