News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: a fresh beginning  (Read 1176 times)

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
a fresh beginning
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
bought me a codex and a cadian command squad. chosen colours white armour and snakebite leather under leather.
looked online for a few builds, still unsure, unsatisfied with rolling vet squads and melta, plasma.

tanks are what excite me about guards and that valkyrie gunship.

goal is 1000 points playable at my local gamesworkshop. then to move on to 1250

list:

CCS 4 x melta chimera 145

vets, 3 plama chimera 170
vets, 3 plasma chimera 170
vets, 3 melta valkyrie, Mrp 230

hellhound, Hf 130
LRBt 150

--------------------------------------------------------
1250 list

CCS 4 x melta chimera 145

PCS 4 x melta chimera 225
Is division 1
Is division 2

vets, 3 plama chimera 170
vets, 3 plasma chimera 170
vets, 3 melta valkyrie, Mrp 230

hellhound, Hflamer 130
LRBt 150

everything moves, everything is firing big guns, things move fast, tanks sit at the back.
boom boom.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:33:35 AM by sterlingarnet »

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
Re: a fresh beginning
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »
I like it! What I like to do too a 1000 pts it to go with a full platoon all mechanise. but for a start it's a solid list. Maybe I would change the 2 hydra for a hellhound depending what you are facing. Or MR on the valkyrie to give you good hoard control. But that it.

Offline sterlingarnet

• slippery pirates
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 05:53:03 AM »
what about just getting another leman russ in maybe a punisher?

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2011, 01:37:11 PM »
I almost say NEVER get a punisher.  I have playtested them many times, and the other russes are just better, for cheaper.  If you are worried about getting enough shots downfield for lets say horde armies, use the exterminator with HBs and Heavy Stubber, or a standard LRBT with the same configuration.

Your 1250 list is 30 points under, and i have just the solution, add GLAC to your squads.  that will really help them.  Also, i am not a fan of melta in a PCS, simply because they don't have good BS.  I would suggest giving them 4 GL's for supression fire.  Then take that 20 points you saved, and get a 2nd LRBT. so the list should look like.

CCS with 4 melta Chimer- 145

Vet 3 plasma Chimera -170
Ves 3 Melta -100

PCS 4 GL's Chimera-105
IS with GLAC-65
IS with GLAC-65

Valkyrie with MRP-130

LRBT-150
LRBT-150
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline balo

« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2011, 03:45:41 PM »
I find a manticore in my 1k lists are REALY useful. Manticore is a great anti vehicle platform and (effectively) destroys 1 vehicle per turn. Combined with a LRBT and a lot of people would be unprepared to face such a list (specially if your including the melta/plasma vets).
That all our knowledge begins with experience, there is indeed no doubt

Offline JusticeCetin

• Lieutenant
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I actually completely agree, i run 2 manticores at 1500 and 2 manticores and a russ at 2k.  IF you can protect it, a Manticore will win you games by itself.  Use the Valk to stop land raiders, and hide it with Chimeras, the problem becomes how do you find the 10 points for one.   The only real option is to change the ACs into Mortars, which really reduce their effectiveness, but do give you a better anti horde platform, either would work. 

CCS with 4 melta Chimera- 145

Ves 3 Melta -100

PCS 4 GL's Chimera-105
IS with GL and mortar-60
IS with GL and mortar-60

Valkyrie with MRP-130

LRBT-150
Manticore-160
6th Edition W/D/L record

IG 8/2/0
BT 0/0/0
Sob 0/0/0

Offline Packetmaster

• Plasma get's hot! Keep shooting! Commissar nearby
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
I would prefer heavy bolter ratter than mortar has they have a higher strenght And will do just about the same damage. Pinning is good but it never worked for me.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2011, 12:04:46 PM »
Sterlin... sorry to be a pain and add further options... but I'd recommend dropping the chimera from the PCS in favour of a pair of scout sentinels (you'll need points from elsewhere too). You (and others) are probably thinking this is mad, but the main reason for this is that with your list you should be buying 2x imperial guard battle forces... and that gets you all your infantry AND includes the sentinels (effectively for free) so you may as well make use of them.

The sentinels can tot autocannons or multi lasers and give you some flexibility for deployment etc.

With the rest of the list, I would recommend that you could probably drop 1 plasma from each squad for points saving... and if you are going with heavy weapons then direct fire weapons might work better in your plasmavet squads, as they have a higher ballistic skill.

Also, You could benefit from a comissar to help out those infantry squads if they decide to blob up... though you are again looking around for points!

Still... it looks like a nice start, you have lots of options! Good Luck!  ;)

Offline Crawfskeezen

• The Emperor Protects
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy, Dark Angels
« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
List and comments are all well thought out. What weapons are the chimeras going to have? Bolter/Bolter is perfect if you want shots shots shots at decent AP. But Multi-laser/HFlamer allows you to deal with heavy infantry and light armour, and chase units out of cover once your melta veterans have microwaved their transport. The chimeras are a big part of your force, 3/6 of your pieces of armour. Don't underestimate them.
CO 46th Frostshields

"Relish The Cold, Freeze The Foe"

7th W/D/L

IG 1/0/0

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #9 on: October 7, 2011, 05:23:16 AM »
I'd go with multi-laser & heavy flamer for any vehicles that will be on the move / for flexible use. If a unit is going to be holding or sitting back then 2x heavy bolter or a multi laser & heavy bolter are good builds. Remember that you will only ever be able to fire one of those weapons on the move... which is why the flamer is a good secondary. If you sit still, the high rate of fire weapons are ideal.

A flamer turret is not usually that great, BUT can be useful for a command unit that is on counter attack / support duties... particularly if themselves armed with flamers. This is basically down to letting you drive BESIDE your target, get your men out the back to be in range with their flamers AND then turning the turret to the side to add further flame!

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #10 on: October 8, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
Turret flamers are also handy if you get immobilized beside a piece of terrain, especially one with an objective in it.

I tend to saddle up beside buildings and the like for reduced LOS protection / Cover saves, so if I get immobilized, it's a tremendous deterrent to people moving in beside me.

Not for everything, but if you'll be using a mid-field unit like Melta Vets, or Plasma Vets especially, they can be very helpful.

Offline Vilamus

« Reply #11 on: October 8, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
I find a spread of Chimera loadouts, especially when you have lots of them, works the best. Why compromise? We are the Imperial Guard.