News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 Speed List  (Read 1453 times)

Offline bca11

1850 Speed List
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:32:55 AM »
I'm working on a list concept for competitive play and wanted to solicit some feedback. The idea of this list is to be extremely shooty and extremely fast, and to kite the enemy around the board and focus him down. I don't own nearly enough models to pull off such a list, but I am looking to expand if this looks to be a viable (and fun) playstyle.

Outrider Detachment 1 (Saim Hann)

HQ

(Warlord) Autarch speedrunner with reaper launcher, mark of the incomparable hunter, blazing star of vaul

Fast Attack

9 windriders with scatter lasers

Outrider Detachment 2 (Alaitoc)

HQ

Farseer skyrunner, doom, executioner

Fast Attack

4 Swooping hawks, exarch with sunrifle

Air Wing Detachment (Alaitoc)

Flyers

Hemlock Wraithfighter
Hemlock Wraithfighter
Hemlock Wraithfighter

Total: 1,850

Game Plan:

Hemlocks get in close and kill heavy infantry / vehicles while debuffing the enemy. The farseer hangs out with the swooping hawks, throwing doom / executioner at priority targets while the hawks and windriders pour loads of shots (literally 228 shots) into enemy infantry (who will hopefully fail morale checks in a big way thanks to the hemlocks). Meanhwhile, the autarch gives his re-roll aura to the bikes while sniping characters or finishing off nearly dead vehicles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
Re: 1850 Speed List
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 02:05:27 AM »
Hey Bca11,

I can only state the obvious here: the army looks like it will murder hordes, but it will also struggle heavily vs anything mechanised. Hemlocks are great as flexible multi-purpose attack craft, but they aren't that devastatingly effective against vehicles. Also, there's just 3 of them and they have to operate within 16" of the enemy position, so their life expectancy is short.

So, your concept is being fast and shooty, and you need more AT. The only good AT unit that fits your concept is Crimson Hunter. If I were considering such list, I'd probably think of dropping 12 out of 27 Windriders and replacing them with 2 Crimson Hunters. You can also replace one of the Hemlockswith the third Crimson Hunter, saving 50 points. I think the list might look like this:

Outrider Detachment 1 (Saim Hann)

HQ

(Warlord) Autarch Skyrunner with Novalance
Fast Attack

6 windriders with scatter lasers

Outrider Detachment 2 (Alaitoc)

HQ

Farseer skyrunner, doom, executioner

Fast Attack

4 Swooping hawks, exarch
4 Swooping hawks, exarch
4 Swooping hawks, exarch

Air Wing Detachment (Alaitoc)

Flyers

Hemlock Wraithfighter
Hemlock Wraithfighter
Crimson Hunter
Crimson Hunter
Crimson Hunter

Total: ~1,850
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:08:18 AM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline bca11

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:53:02 PM »
5 Flyers is going to be out of my ability to purchase for some time. What would you say about the idea of doing 2 hemlocks, a crimson Hunter, and 3 bright lance vypers? Would you consider the vypers to be too inefficient for that role for their points?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »
G'day, bca11!
Totally agree with SeekingOne. If 5 flyers are out of your budget, then 3 crimson hunters/bright lances/pulse laser with three vypers/bright lances/shuriken cannons for sure.

Have also found guide/doom on the farseer a devastating combo. Help the swooping hawks give more punch to their S3 weapons. Doom also increases the chances of shuriken weapons rend.

My farseer sr is usually floating behind three vypers with these powers. My opponents just love it... Also, I think you've already attended to this in your post but just in case, have found just knocking heavily armed vehicles down to their lowest bracket then moving onto your next target is a lot more efficient. Then, as you say, having the scatter bikes clean them up at games end.

Anyhoo! Looks like a fun list, bca11. If you ever take it up to 2000pts you may want to consider juggling some points for some shining spears... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline bca11

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
Thanks. What about something like this. I consolidated the Hawks into one squad and added 2 small units of shuriken cannon bikes to run with the Farseer and support the Hawks (having similar ranges).

I also added the vypers and swapped 2 hemlocks for crimosn hunters. I have enough points left over to do one of 2 things. I could either give the Vypers shuriken cannon upgrades or upgrade a crimson Hunter to an exarch. Which would you think I should do?

Finally, I added a fusion gun to the Autarch with the idea that if something fast really needs to get finished off at close range (like an enemy flyer that's getting on top of my guys), I've got a little extra punch.

+++ Fast (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [90 PL, 1850pts] +++

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Saim-Hann: Wild Host

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner: 5: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter, Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun, Reaper Launcher, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Warlord

+ Fast Attack +

Vypers
. Vyper: Bright Lance, Twin Shuriken Catapult

Windriders
. 9x Windrider - Scatter Laser: 9x Scatter Laser

Windriders
. 9x Windrider - Scatter Laser: 9x Scatter Laser

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ HQ +

Farseer Skyrunner: 2. Doom, 4. Executioner, Shuriken Pistol, Twin Shuriken Catapult, Witchblade

+ Fast Attack +

Swooping Hawks
. 9x Swooping Hawk: 9x Lasblaster
. Swooping Hawk Exarch: Sunrifle (INDEX)

Windriders
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

Windriders
. 3x Windrider - Shuriken Cannon: 3x Shuriken Cannon

++ Air Wing Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Craftworld Attribute: Alaitoc: Fieldcraft

+ Flyer +

Crimson Hunter: 2x Bright Lance

Crimson Hunter: 2x Bright Lance

Hemlock Wraithfighter: 4. Protect/Jinx, Spirit Stones
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 06:38:02 PM by bca11 »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 11:27:07 PM »
Smart changes so far, bca11. It's totally your call as far as the vyper/exarch choice goes. However, the shuriken cannon upgrade would help to keep your vypers out of charge range. I'll mention guide again because I've found using it to re-rolling hits at critical moments allows you to keep your CP for other things, (like fire and fade, which is a great strategem for fast units... Be well!