News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New necron army.  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Supercaiphus

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
New necron army.
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
Hi folks. I'm going to get a small bundle of cash and I'm going to splurge on some necrons. I'm going to have about £ 155 (After i buy codex and rule book)
Any thoughts on what i should buy? I'm guessing a battle force but after that I'm looking for ideas. I have no cement idea for my necrons at the moment and I'm looking for inspiration.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: New necron army.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
I'd say start with a pair of Battle Forces, that's what I plan to do. The Immortals are very expensive for a 5 man unit, at least in Canada, so I'm going to get 10 between the two boxes and that will likely be it for my Immortal purchases. By buying the Battle Forces, I'm getting them for free after I've paid for the Warriors and the vehicles, with a few free Warriors and a free Scarab base thrown in. :D

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2012, 01:51:46 AM »
might want to hold off on the rule book as the new one shouldn't be far away

Offline Supercaiphus

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
The question is. How long. i dont want to wait to long not being able to play a game.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
I hear you can get the AoBR rulebook on the cheap, if you look around. It's got all of the rules, but no fluff sections. I wouldn't buy the hardback book at this point.

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »
More often then not, you can't go wrong with a battle force. Spend the time between now and the new rule book (unless you find one for cheap as suggested above) painting up the models. Unless you're a super fast painter, you should have more then enough time to paint and model the Ark, Immortals or Deathmarks, Warriors, Scarabs, and the leftover bits for custom Harbingers.

Offline Log

• Burna Boy
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
The hardback. Rule book is no longer available for purchase from gw and it is widely believed that 6th ed will be out in July. Based on that I'd take the advice of others an use this month to get the models painted

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
warhammer 40k rule book hardback games workshop, citadel | eBay

If your quick It's only a pound plus P+P

Other than that, I'd suggest that you first go out and buy just the codex and familiarize your self with the various units in the book.

Could you not borrow a book from one of you mates, perhaps the person who got you into 40k in the first place?

I also agree with everyone else that a Battleforce box set is a good place to start. But might i also suggest that you buy a Necron Overlord as one of your first purchases as-well, because he seams to be one of the most popular HQ choices and you could use him to proxy the other characters until you settle on one you like.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 11:00:24 AM by Davinder »

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
Don't forget you can also get an Overlord model in the Catacomb Command Barge kit. It is really easy to make this kit swap to an Annihilation Barge if preferred. Two for one deals are always nice. This will give you the models for a completely legal army list.
« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 06:40:05 PM by Kaiju Senso »