News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Need help with metallic green  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Nathalus

Need help with metallic green
« on: July 12, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with trying to com e up with something like this http://www.coolminiornot.com/63586 for my Colour scheme to my army. I'm pretty sure this NMM, which I can do, but I'm not great at, so if possible how would I achieve this look without going the NMM route?
The Eldar Aspect Template Project:check it out
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=105763.new#new

Offline The_Outcast

• Infinity Circuit
  • I am the only one who left willingly.
Re: Need help with metallic green
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:25:49 PM »
Paint it chain mail and then paint watered down dark angel green. Easier but not as reproduceable just mix dark angel green and chain mail.

The_Outcast

Offline Rookie2788

• Realm of Runes
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:58:01 PM »
ya i dunno how to do that....it looks great tho...

as for it being NMM....i would probably guess yeah and maybe it has a gloss varnish over it to give it the shiney metal look?
WANT TO PLAY WARHAMMER ONLINE?
VISIT REALM OF RUNES FOR MORE INFO:
http://s7.invisionfree.com/Realm_of_Runes/index.php?
(Go to the articles section)

Offline Patrick Bateman

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:24:45 PM »
This is clearly not an easy task. The green-metal color was created in a way similar to how NMM's are created, but is very hard to replicate without going through the NMM technique.

This color will use alot of blending. Since you said you didnt want to do the NMM technique, maybe you will want to do layers instead, because it is easier. There are number of different possibilities.

1. Layering
2. NMM (witch you say you dont want to do)
3. Gloss varnish (which Rookie suggested).
4. Green metal paint (Testor's spray enamel paint sells a metallic green paint that I have used before, but I do not like it)
5.Gloss Green spray paint over a non-primed mini. This will give the same effect as outcast's suggestion, its just alot faster. Just make sure you put varnish over this because it can easily come off.

Hope this opened up a variety of possibilities for you, good luck

Offline adamdodici

• Runnin' sh*t in '05
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:20:10 AM »
If you mix some Dark Angels Green with Mithril Silver (maybe a 75/25 mix with more silver than green) you should be able to get a decent metallic green.

A very long time ago GW used to sell colored metallics but they've been out of production since at least 2000.  You might be able to dig some up on eBay or try Reaper model color or another color line (I forget the one that used to make the GW paints) because they may sell a colored metallic.
He will be drawn to large cities, where he will clog sewers, reverse street signs, and steal everybody's left shoe.

Offline Lomion

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 09:48:53 AM »
Don't for get the option of treating the model as if you were just going to leave it as silver.  Working layers up through, black, bolgun metal, chailnmail, with final highlights at mithril silver then use a dark green wash, either watered down DA green or green/black ink mixed.

Should work remember to use many watered down layers of ink.  Could take you some time I'm afraid.

Offline tonyzahn

• 2nd Place: N00b painting comp.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 10:43:44 AM »
I'd go for Lomion's route. I have a few minis that have metallic green bits on them using this method (although no shading), and the green ink does a fine job.

Offline Nathalus

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 07:04:41 PM »
I just finished my ranger, and I used something similar to what Lomion suggested.
black,up to boltgun, to chainmail, to mythril, then used watered down green paints(friggin realized I have no ink left).
Turned out okay.I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera back from a buddy. Thanks for all the help guys.
The Eldar Aspect Template Project:check it out
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=105763.new#new