News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ranger vs Pathfinder breakdown  (Read 2575 times)

Offline mikesusername

Ranger vs Pathfinder breakdown
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:37:48 PM »
so i was fooling around with a large army idea for eldar and was faced with wondering which of these two similar units was... 'betta'

so heres what i came up with

adjusted for point cost    (ie i've multiplied the pathfinder % by 19/24)   
                       path          ranger      difference (-) = pathfinder advantage)
guide only      ap1   23.40%   18.47%   -4.93%
guide only      ap6   11.70%   22.17%   10.47%
doom only      ap1   24.92%   18.98%   -5.94%
doom only      ap6   11.73%   22.22%   10.49%
guide +doom   ap1   33.15%   25.25%   -7.90%
guide +doom   ap6   15.60%   29.56%   13.96%
none at all       ap1   24.92%   13.89%   -11.03%
none at all      ap6   11.73%   16.67%   4.94%

one of the most intresting discoveries i've made is that, if my math is on, the % ap 1 shots that pathfinders put out is around 45% when guided and doomed!  talk about firepower.

also what should be noted is that rangers tend to benefit a bit more from guide and doom than pahtfinders (last two rows).

except in the case where no psi support is recieved i'd say the rangers put out more versitile per point firepower than the pathfinders.  in general in those cases where psy support is recieved your trading about 5% total firepower for a 5% gain in ap1 shots.  important to know if you'll be brining 20 or so of these guys.

this only takes into account shooting prowess, i havent factored in squad durability vs shooting.

so while this needs a bit more work (ie what happens w/ 4+ cover or pt effectivness vs specific enemies or otherwise), the gereral conclusions are that in cases where you have alot of psy support you should probably go with rangers.  unless your really looking for those ap1 shots.  genneraly the availibility of a 4+ cover halves the value of ap 1 shots over ap 6 unless your target has fnp, i think.

Offline Mordekiem

• Initiate
  • That was easy!
Re: Ranger vs Pathfinder breakdown
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:01:05 AM »
one of the most intresting discoveries i've made is that, if my math is on, the % ap 1 shots that pathfinders put out is around 45% when guided and doomed!  talk about firepower.
Is this 45% of all shots taken or 45% of their hits?  This number is very misleading to me since it doesn't really say it is 45% of what.

I am assuming that you mean 45% of all shots taken turn into AP1 wounds when combined with guide and doom.  Because simple math will say that over half of their hits and hence wounds will be AP1.  I think someone did the math and it was right around 66% of their hits and wounds are AP 1.  So 2/3rds.
Mordekiem

Offline bca11

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 01:32:06 AM »
Is this 45% of all shots taken or 45% of their hits?  This number is very misleading to me since it doesn't really say it is 45% of what.

I am assuming that you mean 45% of all shots taken turn into AP1 wounds when combined with guide and doom.  Because simple math will say that over half of their hits and hence wounds will be AP1.  I think someone did the math and it was right around 66% of their hits and wounds are AP 1.  So 2/3rds.

His math here is accurate, although his statement is misleading. 

Let's take this example vs. MEQ's.  10 pathfinders or rangers shooting at 10 MEQ's in open terrain.

Assuming guide is active, 33% of shots will be ap1, 33% ap6, and 33% miss.  Then, when rerolling the misses, it becomes 44% ap1, 44% normal, and 11% misses.  So 44% of shots will be at ap1.  50% of hits will be ap1.  If doom is active, 75% of those will wound, so 33% of the shots the pathfinders fire in this situation will cause ap1 wounds.  Additionally, circa 27% of the normal hits will rend (with the help of doom), giving us another 11.88% of wounds that ignore armor, for a total of 55.88% of the shots pathfinders fire in this situation causing unsaveable wounds.

Add to this an additional 21.28% of hits resulting in saveable wounds, and were are talking an average of 6+ kills assuming the target has a 3+ save.

So 10 guided pathfinders shoot at 10 doomed marines in open terrain, and kill 6.2.

Alternatively, rangers under the same circumstances will get ap1 22.17% of the time, normal hits 66.5% of the time, and still miss 11% of the time.  Given doom the ap1 hits will translate into 16.67% of the shots being ap1 wounds, and the normal hits will give another 18% of shots being ap2 wounds.  This gives a total of 34.667% of shots being wounds that ignore armor.  Given a 3+ save for the enemy, the remaining saveable wounds would represent 31.92% of the total, making around 11% (rounding here for convenience) unsaved wounds.  This would give about 45% of ranger shots causing casualties compared to about 60% for the pathfinders.  So the 10 rangers kill 4.5 MEQ's.

When we factor in points we find that pathfinders come out slightly ahead, as a pathfinder costs 1.263 times as much as a ranger.  Given that, we multiply 4.5 kills by 1.263 and get 5.6835 (we'll just say 5.7) kills. 

So pathfinders got 6.2 kills, rangers got 5.7.  Against 4+ saves things would even out more, and against GEQ I believe that rangers would gain the advantage.  However, against 2+ saves, the pathfinder advantage would be magnified.

Considering you really want your snipers shooting at MEQ's and TEQ's, pathfinders are the way to go IMHO.

Add to their superior shooting the scouts rule, the ability to get a 2+ cover save most anywhere, and the ability to ignore difficult terrain, and pathfinders become a steal.  When fielding scouts, I always use pathfinders.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:34:10 AM by bca11 »

Offline eldrasidar

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 02:37:15 AM »
i would point out that the pathfinders and rangers in both events are relying on a farseer who has guide and doom and a spirit stone(or is eldrad)  successfully casting and being both within 6 inches of the shooters and 24" of their target.  now all your opponent has to do is have a psychic hood or just target the seer and chances are either guide and/or doom wont work.  if that's the case, the unsaved wounds are essentially cut in two, to an unimpressive 3ish wounds, especially compared to say a unit of 10 unupgraded fire dragons which can easily dish out 6+ wounds to meqs without doom or guide. 

where this might be useful is in facing say monstrous creatures with high toughness, that say you couldn't as easily take down with high strength stuff, in which case the extra ap 1 shots only help depending on whether or not the monstrous creature has an invulnerable or cover save. it's also useful for pinning purposes, in which case 1 wound or 6 doesn't make any difference so rangers work better at it.  in terms of pure damage dealing, rangers and pathfinders really don't have anything going for them.  if you wanna argue that they could do more from range than my fire dragon example, I'd counter that dark reapers can do more still, and from further away.

"We applied the cortical electrodes, but failed to get a neural response from either patient." Jayne Cobb

Offline bca11

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 02:53:57 AM »
Unsaved wounds will be cut by 33% if doom is not active.  Your math is faulty.  Without doom, 50% of hits wound. With it, 75% of hits wound.  50=2/3*75.

[Edit]

Also, as long as all things are equal, nothing would change in ranger/pathfinder comparison.  We are not talking about what units might be better than pathfinders or rangers in certain situations, or whether or not someone kills a farseer or nullifies a psychic power.  We are comparing rangers and pathfinders.  You are completely off topic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 03:00:31 AM by bca11 »

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 03:00:06 AM »
What eldrasidar says is true, however This topic is titled Ranger vs Pathfinder breakdown. So we are comparing apples to other apples not apples and oranges or nuts.

It seems that many lists up for review at the moment have a squad of Rangers or Pathfinders in it, mostly I believe, as a home objective holder. They are both good for this as well as being a great place to deploy a valuable HQ unit.

Nice to see someone posting some guidance about what gives the best bang per buck for those unwilling or unable to get their head round mathhammer. Summary Pathfinders for MegaNobs and Terminators, Rangers for Orks, Guards etc and either will do against Eldar or Marines.

Now onto stage II which will stick around longer 10 Rangers or 8 Pathfinders? Go to Ground or not? Fortune?
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline bca11

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 03:12:20 AM »
Going to ground would of course make the rangers as survivable as the pathfinders, but at the expense of their shooting next turn.  In most cases we are looking at 3+ save vs. 2+ save.  2+ fails only half as often as 3+, so it is twice as good.  Sure the rangers can get it, but if they aren't shooting, they aren't a big threat in most cases (barring holding an objective end of game).  Pathfinders can take it and fire back next turn. 

Fortune will surprisingly shift things in favor of the pathfinders.  Re-rollable 3+ saves fail 10.89% of the time.  Re-rollable 2+ saves fail an absurd 2.77% of the time.  Now instead of passing twice as many saves as the rangers, they pass four times as many saves as the rangers. 

So without fortune, pathfinders are 2x as survivable per model.  Adjusting for points this becomes 1.58x as survivable per point.  With fortune, its 4x as survivable per model, or 3.16x as survivable per point.  Going to ground can put the rangers slightly ahead in a pure survivability contest, but next turn the pathfinders can shoot and the rangers can't.  Not worth it in most cases.

Phase 3: Ignoring difficult terrain vs. move through cover.

Offline Moriat

• Fertilize all available Maiden ...Worlds!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 04:01:09 AM »
It cannot ba analyzed only from shootin side!
Ignore terrain, +5 ap1, +2 cover, free move from scouts - show me the other unit that gets so much for only 5 points, thats a steal!
Id say considering the cost of pathfinders rangers are an overpriced unit.

I think that even mech eldat should take a unit of 5-6 Pathfinders. Just to hold objective and provide solid firebase & firesink.

Rangers can go for 'desperate need for fluff' but one may say that  pathfinders are just super experienced rangers.

bca11: very interesting analysis on survavibility ratio
Moriat

Proud user of NO Guardians!

Offline Mordekiem

• Initiate
  • That was easy!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »
i would point out that the pathfinders and rangers in both events are relying on a farseer who has guide and doom and a spirit stone(or is eldrad)  successfully casting and being both within 6 inches of the shooters and 24" of their target.  now all your opponent has to do is have a psychic hood or just target the seer and chances are either guide and/or doom wont work.  if that's the case, the unsaved wounds are essentially cut in two, to an unimpressive 3ish wounds, especially compared to say a unit of 10 unupgraded fire dragons which can easily dish out 6+ wounds to meqs without doom or guide. 

where this might be useful is in facing say monstrous creatures with high toughness, that say you couldn't as easily take down with high strength stuff, in which case the extra ap 1 shots only help depending on whether or not the monstrous creature has an invulnerable or cover save. it's also useful for pinning purposes, in which case 1 wound or 6 doesn't make any difference so rangers work better at it.  in terms of pure damage dealing, rangers and pathfinders really don't have anything going for them.  if you wanna argue that they could do more from range than my fire dragon example, I'd counter that dark reapers can do more still, and from further away.
Good point about considering fire dragons, but they are different beasts.  pathfinders are scoring and tough to kill.  They also have a much greater range than a dragon and do not need a transport to get them where they need to go.  Both are good, but they have different roles.
It cannot ba analyzed only from shootin side!
Ignore terrain, +5 ap1, +2 cover, free move from scouts - show me the other unit that gets so much for only 5 points, thats a steal!
Id say considering the cost of pathfinders rangers are an overpriced unit.

I think that even mech eldat should take a unit of 5-6 Pathfinders. Just to hold objective and provide solid firebase & firesink.

Rangers can go for 'desperate need for fluff' but one may say that  pathfinders are just super experienced rangers.

bca11: very interesting analysis on survavibility ratio
Moriat has some excellent points, too.  I myself play mech, but have taken a unit or two of pathfinders.

The other thing to consider is deployment.  In Dawn of war you could place the pathfinders 6" closer to the middle of the table than you want them in order to push your opponent back.  Then use the scout move to run away and take cover.  You also ignore cover for movement purposes so you don't need to worry about getting stuck in the open.  You can also start them off spread out and use the scout move to come together, again, trying to deny your opponent any room to deploy or push them away from objectives.
Mordekiem

Offline Straker

• Armies: Eldar, Tryanid
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
My only problem is without a seer, 6 pathfinders will get 4 hits, 2 ap1, and then only get 1 ap1 and 1 ap6 wound. Against 3+ armor, that's only 1 kill, possibly none with cover...I really think they're only worth it against monstrous creatures, and I think a seer is almost necessary.

Offline bca11

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
My only problem is without a seer, 6 pathfinders will get 4 hits, 2 ap1, and then only get 1 ap1 and 1 ap6 wound. Against 3+ armor, that's only 1 kill, possibly none with cover...I really think they're only worth it against monstrous creatures, and I think a seer is almost necessary.

Doom is a great catalyst for them, and proper target selection is important.  I usually run pathfinder heavy lists, which is great vs. 'nids, marines, chaos etc. because they have plenty of tough targets.  I struggle with orks and IG though (although I tend to keep heavy weapons platoons pinned a good bit, which is good in its own way). 

Fortune is really better spent elsewhere, as most of the time the enemy isn't going to bother shooting at them, knowing they have a 2+ save.  They tend to get charged/flamed, niether of which is helped by fortune.

Ah flamers, the pathfinder's worst enemy.

Offline Mordekiem

• Initiate
  • That was easy!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 01:46:46 AM »
Whirlwinds are about to be worse with the incendiary missles that ignore cover.  And the new marine codex they can choose which missles they fire from round to round like a regular missle launcher.
Mordekiem

Offline eldrasidar

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 03:08:14 AM »
not that that's really new dark angels and blood angels already had them, it's just new to vanilla marines.  besides generally, the whirlwind wants to stay out of sight, as do the pathfinders, which means fairly inaccurate blast(average of 7" scatter), which considering that pathfinders, due the the generally small area of terrain tend to be fairly bunched up, means it's very unlikely to actually hit.  i'd be more concerned with the direct line of sight weapons like the new thunderfire cannon, or plasma missiles.  of course maybe I'm just used to terrible luck on the part of my opponents on hitting me with indirect weapons(really i gots stories, suffice it to say my opponents through the luck of the dice have done more damage to their armies than mine with indirect weaponry). 
"We applied the cortical electrodes, but failed to get a neural response from either patient." Jayne Cobb

Offline bca11

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 03:50:14 AM »
Whirlwinds are about to be worse with the incendiary missles that ignore cover.  And the new marine codex they can choose which missles they fire from round to round like a regular missle launcher.

Ouch.  Didn't know that was coming.  amphetamine parrot.

besides generally, the whirlwind wants to stay out of sight, as do the pathfinders, which means fairly inaccurate blast(average of 7" scatter), which considering that pathfinders, due the the generally small area of terrain tend to be fairly bunched up, means it's very unlikely to actually hit. 

Yeah but if it hits it will wipe out the squad if its ap5 or better.  I'm sure it is.  Probably str 5 or 6 too.  Again... amphetamine parrot.

Offline Straker

• Armies: Eldar, Tryanid
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
Yea, the new marine dex kinda pisses me off how much it can ignore cover. I really don't even get the idea of ignoring cover. Whoo, my gun is magical and makes that dense forest not really there :p

Offline Mordekiem

• Initiate
  • That was easy!
« Reply #15 on: October 1, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
not that that's really new dark angels and blood angels already had them, it's just new to vanilla marines.  besides generally, the whirlwind wants to stay out of sight, as do the pathfinders, which means fairly inaccurate blast(average of 7" scatter), which considering that pathfinders, due the the generally small area of terrain tend to be fairly bunched up, means it's very unlikely to actually hit.  i'd be more concerned with the direct line of sight weapons like the new thunderfire cannon, or plasma missiles.  of course maybe I'm just used to terrible luck on the part of my opponents on hitting me with indirect weapons(really i gots stories, suffice it to say my opponents through the luck of the dice have done more damage to their armies than mine with indirect weaponry).
They will roll a hit 1/3 times.  And if you are bunched up you are toast when it does.  I believe it is str 4 AP5 so it will toast pathfinders and rangers.

If you have had good luck then great.  I try not to rely on luck, though.
Mordekiem

Offline Joe_a_y

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »
would someone like to comment on what size squad members should be used?

I understand the firing figures from before, but, what will happen if for example, u toke 8 pathfinders, which is about equal points to 10 rangers?

how does the damage compute then?

Offline bca11

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
I don't have time to do the calculations, but I would take the 8 pathfinders over 10 rangers any day.  Against the kinds of targets you should be shooting at (i.e. valuable MC's, terminators, characters if they end up exposed) pathfinders will do much better with almost twice as many armor ignoring shots.  As explained earlier in the thread, psychic powers only magnify the pathfinder's statistical advantage (with doom probably being most useful).  Their added survivability is also not to be forgotten, although 5th is bringing in more and more things that ignore cover (sigh...).

Beware threadomancy though... they might get you (even if you have a good reason for doing it).

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 06:19:56 PM »
Well if you take the math to decide it is fairly easy as well.

I use the following model:

Survivability (has been calculated above).
Ranger 1
Pathfinder 1,5
This means 7 Pathfinders are as good as 9-10 Rangers

Movement: (difficult Terrain it is)
Rangers are at about 4 inches (statistically)
Pathfinders are at 6 guaranteed.
count in that you will most likely run because you cant fire anyway it makes:
Rangers about 8-9
Pathfinders 12
This is quite a margin in getting to the intended position

When it comes to killing things I would always calculate without any add on Psyking.
so the same number of hits but 1/6 vers 2/6 of Ap1 comming down to not that much in numbers but good against Monsters (fexes, Zoantropes etc) or any armoured things.

as we seen above that 8 PF are at the cost of 10 Rangers I would ans I do always use PF
I use either 5-6 for holding and fire support or 10 as a solid fire base and fire sink.
I only use the smaller if I want to flank (guerrillas need to be small ;))

sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.