News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dealing With Space Marines En Masse  (Read 607 times)

Offline Admiral Brea

• People say I look like Liam Neeson?!
Dealing With Space Marines En Masse
« on: June 4, 2004, 07:37:27 PM »
After a recent skirmish against chaos space marines I've found my Tau lacking the ability to kill large numbers of power-armoured marines/sisters.

With railguns killing tanks, and pulse rifles decimating lightly-armoured infantry, what's most people's solutions to taking on approx. 50 marines in a 1,500 point game.

Cheers

-L0rd Adm1ral Br3a-
"Out of ammo, out of food, out of water, out of luck, out of range of communication, out of time, out of options, out in the open, out of our neith'ka minds."
Archon Kijayle - EO

"I didn't give up smoking, I didn't give up drinking, and I didn't give up adultery, so you can forget me giving up this planet to those damn Tyranids!"
Admiral Brea - 40K.ca

"When you're going through hell, keep going!"
Faye - Exterminatus.net

Offline Poe, the Sociopath

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Imperial Vengence at its finest.
Re: Dealing With Space Marines En Masse
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2004, 07:45:43 PM »
A nice Hammerhead with an Ion Cannon fits the bill nicely, other than that.  Farsight.  I've seen him go through entire Squads of 'Zerkers Alone.  Let alone with a bodyguard of 2 ork fighter Crsis.
Rosethorn wishes Aegis; Whisperless Void.

From death I come for you!

Offline Arguleon Veq

• Always one more try, I’m not afraid to die.
    • Warp-Gate
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2004, 07:55:08 PM »
Plasma rifles, ion cannons and rail rifles all work fine at taking down droves of power armour and anyway you dont necceseraly need great ap massdd firepower still brings marines down and as the pulse rifles will have no lightly armoured infantry to aim at then you can focus all your firepower on the marines wich does take a few down.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2004, 09:39:38 PM »
Fire Caste Warriors are pretty damn effective on their own. Just playing the averages, a unit of 12 will drop 3 or so Marines on their own (if you're moving and firing properly). A unit of Stealth Suits, if properly used, can also be fairly brutal against them.

The greatest strength of a Space Marine army is that it can cause a lot of damage without much strategy (and do plenty with it) -- so you need to carefully slice and dice, and use your mobility to your advantage.

Offline deadrose

• LONG LIVE FARSIGHT WITH OUT HIM THERE IS NO LIGHT
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2004, 10:55:32 AM »
The way i take on space marines is to make a killer xv8 combat suit unit 3 xv8 all twin link plasma rifle thats 6 shots from 24" and the bad ass 12" is 12 shots :o i only once wipe out an hole squard of space man by this way and boy did the space marine player jump up and down :P.

But its up to you just remanber cover is your best mate.Missile pobs are not bad also.
TILL END TILLL THE END OF ALL I WILL REST
 NOT TILL THEN TILL THE END AS I CALL FOR
 THE END O'SHOVAH O'SHOVAH O'SHOVAH

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2004, 06:27:32 PM »
Deadrose, I'm glad this isn't the 40K universe because that post would have been enough for a 'ead bang. :o

Twin linking does not increase the shots you get, you shot twice as much with those suits than you should have. 3 suits each with plasma, twin linked or not, will get 3 shots at 24, and 6 shots at 12. That Space Marine player should have got pre heresy on your cheating ass.

How to kill lots of SMurfs; Focous your firepower on the squads that will do the most damage, you have the range to shoot at pretty much anything you can get LoS to. Do not try to wear them out wholesale, that'll get you shot up. A Squad of fully upgraded Firewarriors costs about as much as a full squad of Space Marines with no upgrades.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline deadrose

• LONG LIVE FARSIGHT WITH OUT HIM THERE IS NO LIGHT
« Reply #6 on: June 6, 2004, 03:13:05 AM »
oops my bad sorry boy did i stuf up lol still six shots are not bad sorry about that lol i will keep away from the rum
TILL END TILLL THE END OF ALL I WILL REST
 NOT TILL THEN TILL THE END AS I CALL FOR
 THE END O'SHOVAH O'SHOVAH O'SHOVAH