News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A 1500 Competitive List  (Read 507 times)

Offline Aliasara

• O NOES! It's the SMurfs AGAIN! *Yawns*
A 1500 Competitive List
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:46:52 AM »
Hi all, I am posting for a friend who has troubl getting his T'au Army to work and win a little. He is constantly being overrun by Jetpacks, KoS, Shot down by guards or SM etc....
He asked me for advice, wich is cool, since I am a decent player and have been playing fora very long time. What is not so cool is, that I have never played T'au before. So I looke long and hard at the Codex and finally opened it ( :D ). I came up with this list so far, but I aim to make it 1500 pts for starters. He has a rather wide array of miniatures to choose from, including some Hammerheads, a couple of Collossus, more Firewarriors, but no Kroot, wich he does not like and does not want to field.
I themed my list around mobility and Marker Lights. Any wrong names are due to me owning only the german Codex.

HQ - Shas'El
TWL Plasma; Pulsecannon; Multiple Target; Guidance system

ELITES - 3 Crisis suits
3x TWL Plasma; 3x enhanced Target (+1 BF)

TROOPS -  3 x 10 Fire Warriors
Shas'ui; Dagger; Devilfish with (reroll when immobilised System)

FAST ATTACK - 6 Pathfinders
Shas'ui; Dagger; Devilfish with reroll when immobilised system :D

HEAVY SUPPORT - Shark with Pulsecannons; Guidance Sys; Enhanced Target; and reroll tralala

After all of this I still have 280 pts to spend. Any Suggestions and critique are welcome, just not: get rid of the firewarriors and all your mobility and get only Kroot and Kolossus....
Dumm ist nur wer Dummes tut!!

All spelling mistakes are intentional. Finders-Keepers!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: A 1500 Competitive List
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:56:45 AM »
Okay, so I'm going to make some wild guesses here on what, exactly, you mean by certain names for things.

HQ:
If, by 'guidance system', you mean the thing that lets you shoot at a different target than your squad, then you don't need one for your Shas'el (he/she isn't with a squad, after all). If you mean a +1 BS, then you don't need to twin-link your Plasma, since you will rarely miss with such a high BS, anyway. As for the Burst Cannon (?) and Plasma combo, I find it less effective than either the Missile Pod/Plasma or Cyclic Ion Blaster/Plasma combos. If you are looking for lots of shots, go with the CIF/Plas, if you are looking to take down large targets, go Plas/MP.

ELITES
I like this Crisis Squad a lot, but it's on the pricey side. Be careful with it, since it's a fragile unit for its cost (like all Crisis suits).

TROOPS:
Excellent--a big fan of this stuff. You probably don't need the bonding knife, though. Save the points and throw a multitraker or two on your Devilfish--it's nice to be able to shoot those burst cannons, after all.

FAST ATTACK
Pretty good, though 8 is always better than 6, in my opinion.

HEAVY SUPPORT
I'm guessing that this Hammerhead has a Railgun. If not, it better get one--best damn gun in the Tau arsenal.

That other 280 points?
Grab a unit of Stealth Suits--the full 6. They are fabulous, and can rip through infantry like a chainsaw through a picinic table. With your last 100 or so, I'd go with a Sniper Drone team, or something that can kill tanks. The big hole in the list right now is a lack of anti-tank. Giving 1-2 Stealths a Fusion Blaster can mitigate this somewhat, but they are better for anti-infantry, somewhat. You could trim your stealth suits to only 4, and then get a bunch of suits with Fusion Blasters and Missile Pods, which might help.

Also, it would depend on how often you actually face tanks. If infrequently, you might not need it.

Offline Aliasara

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:45:44 PM »
The HS is actually the NEW T'au Tank. The one where u can fire indirect missiles with Marker lights. Guidance System would be Multi-Tracker I think, the one where you can shoot multiple targets/move and shoot with the Tanks.

Alright thanks so far I will ponder some more and the post the complete list. How would be a piranha squad or 2 with fusion blasters for mobile anti tank?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »
Oh, Skyray, eh? Well, if you are taking a Skyray, then you need more pathfinders. You want those missiles off the tank before it explodes.

Also, let me highly, highly recommend a Hammerhead with a Railgun. It will hardly ever let you down.

As for the Pirhanas with Fusions, make sure to put them in their own FA slots (if you only have two). They won't be the best tank killers out there (thanks to their rather poor range), but their mobility makes up for a lot. Give them decoy launchers and use markerlights to guide their shots, and they ought to do pretty well.

Offline Minorboy

• Hi Mom!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 05:18:37 PM »
I've found pirhana's to be nice if you'r smart with them, there not bullet proof and they have short ranged weaponry, Like wyddr said, if you only have 2, run 'em seperate, I use a squad of three and I'm thinking about adding two more.

The hammerhead w/railgun is a good choice, with a markerlight it is downright deadly to tanks and infantry alike, but I invested my money into the broadside suits(the one's with the big shoulder mounted guns) and haven't had trouble with armor yet(except for eldar falcons, dang holofields), but in the end it's up to you on what you want in the force.
-I'd recomend using something other than T.L. plasma, as it only gets one shot, although strong, at range, I'd go T.L. missle, which is what I run on my suits.
-drop the "pulsecannon" and go with a missle pod(I like the range and str. of the pods)
-Boost the pathfinders to 8 man (Markerlights help out soooo much)
-If your having trouble with power armor, then maybe invest in some vespid, go full sized squads, you don't want to have anything that you just shot at around to squish you insect friends, plus there fast.

Just a few suggestions, use them if you like, or not. If you got points left over and have trouble with armor, a broadside team does well, 2 with target lock and one with sheild gen will help them stick around longer while "usually" targeting 3 tanks a turn.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, I got the other 2%'s and didn't share, (I'm greedy like that)

Place a hammer on the table before the battle starts. Explain it is there to insure loyalty.

Army's
Tau-2500+ of crisis suit/broadside goodness
Marines-5000+ easily between 2 army lists
Witch Hunters-2000+ nuns with guns
Orks-2500+ lotsa burnaz

Offline Aliasara

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 02:04:21 AM »
Hmm Hmm. Hammerhead you say.... Okay I will suggest it to him, he owns two of the things after all :D, but he has gotten teriibly unlucky with them so far. I think the main difference is, that he does not use marker lights.
I probably will not use any broadsides in this list, as they go against the "all mobile" theme of this army.
Maybe 2 Hammerheads (cool looking models) and the pathfinders upped to 8 men? Would that be a worthwhile addition?

O I like the plasma so much: Nothing deals better with a Hive Tyrant at close range (and they always get to close range), or a bloodthirster, or obliterators deepstriking into your lines, or terminators, or, or, or....
I have enough shots on the fire warriors I'd like to think :).

Cheers and thanks all.

Offline Minorboy

• Hi Mom!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 12:09:13 PM »
If you got two hammerheads, rum 'em, the railgun on the hammerhead is handy for both armor and infantry. My question fur you, is the "guidance system" the one that adds +1 bs, or the one to target other units? if it's the +1 bs, then you really don't need the T.L plasma, since he's hitting on 2's, , and depending on how you run the mobile force, it may or may not help to have a longer range weapon.

My tau run alot of suits, it could be mobile, as there's plenty of mobile aspects of my list, but the firewarriors and broadsides are kind of my "castle", firewarriors sit and shoot up firing lines, and my broadsides hit anything that they can't take down, and the crisis suits wait 'till last second to jump out and rapid fire there plasma's, sometimes it works well, other's not so much, I think I have a better win average than my marines, who half run into CC, and the others shoot, sometimes I get outshot, other times I get abused in CC, but I guess it's up to your playing style

And yeah, put 2 more in the pathfinder's, figure on odds half the markerlights hit, and against a meaty squad you can use them to further increase bs to rip 'em open, and every shot counts with those laser pointers.(My suits use two to hit on 2's when they rapid fire).
The hammerhead prolly hasn't been running correctly, always keep it moving 12'', Put a multi tracker and a target lock to get the most out of it, and decoy launchers to help it stay safe possibly for a turn or two.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 12:11:05 PM by Minorboy »

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, I got the other 2%'s and didn't share, (I'm greedy like that)

Place a hammer on the table before the battle starts. Explain it is there to insure loyalty.

Army's
Tau-2500+ of crisis suit/broadside goodness
Marines-5000+ easily between 2 army lists
Witch Hunters-2000+ nuns with guns
Orks-2500+ lotsa burnaz