News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Tau Tips?  (Read 1859 times)

Offline Cryonicleech

• WAAGH!
Tau Tips?
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:18:50 PM »
My buddy plays tau, and he's pretty new to the game. Unfortunately, his computer's messed up and he couldn't make an account. Therefore, he asked me to ask you all

"What tactics are there for tau?"

Specifically though, he mentioned vehicles. Should he take piranhas? A Sky Ray? Kroot?
Also, he has no idea what to do with his vespids. He's playing mostly against Orks, Marines, Necrons and the Imperial Guard. His playstyle is stand and shoot.

Offline 808giza

Re: Tau Tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 04:30:38 AM »
Piranhas are a mixed bag.  I use 1 or 2 at 1500pts.  Always with a fusion gun.

The Sky Ray is just not worth it except in lower point games.

Broadsides are worth every penny but keep them cheap.

Hammerheads are always nice to have but can be a big target.

Kroot.  Some don't like them because they feel un-tau like.  I personally use one squad to hold my objectives.

Stand and shoot tau are not going to win in the new rules.  Your enemy will be on top of you to quickly.  Hybrid or Mechanized lists are the only ones that are completive now-a-days.  Some say you can't win with tau, I believe you can if you run a balanced list.

Offline Sayt

• The Devil you think you know.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 05:10:13 AM »
Devilfish.  Devilfish.  Devilfish.  Devilfish.

Tau want Devilfish.  They are some of the best treansports in the game, second only to the Eldar skimmers, and they pay out their ass for upgrades.  A popular, and fairly effective tactic is Called the Fish of Fury, which is basically, move your Devilfish close, unload a squad of firewarriors (12 at most, probably no less than 8)  and unlaeash between 16-24 strength 5 AP 5 shots.  This is fairly effective,  as you are unlikely to be charged, due to the proximity of a tank to your enemy.

Offline The Procrastinator

• Bat amphetamine parrot Crazy!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 06:19:04 AM »
Take anything mobile you can get. The key to winning with tau is their ability to limit their opponents choices. I have a mate who has never lost with tau due to this fact. (well I forced a draw once  ;D) My opinion is to stay away from firewarriors as much as possible, only for holding objectives, and even then in a devilfish. Against MEQs, Stealth suits, broadsides and Crisis suits are killers, just dont get them in assault range! Use these models to infiltrate and quickly strike down expensive units early, and then you can easily mop up your opponents troops later.

cheers

Offline edible

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
It would be useful if you could get him to write an army list up here so we can make comments on specific choices.

The only static armies that I can see as even vaguely viable are ones with tons and tons of broadsides and firewarriors, otherwise there are roughly two main camps in tau that I have seen, the lots of firewarriors in devilfish and hammerheads camp and the lots of battlesuits of all way shape and form camp.

Also knowing what models he has available would help.

Offline Gentleman Fate

• SirBruce
  • There are no heroes left in man
    • Shoot-Tau-Thrill
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
If you REALLY want static Tau, Shadowsun is great. Instead of Striking her in, hold her back to deal with any "big" units sent to screw with your line. Kroot are effective here as secondary firing squads and a unit to charge anything that gets within charging range. Broadsides and HHs are great as well for long range as well as the HH's ability to Tank Shock incoming enemies if need be.
Despite all this, however I do agree with the above sentiments that the Tau are NOT a static army. They must be well mobilized to be effective, and are very much like the Eldar in strategy, albeit slightly less mobile and with slightly more firepower.
"If you were smart you would have rolled a six."
- Spencer Young, God amongst men.

"ok, my boys are disembarking now, and since i have no shooting, theyr gonna run then assault" me-"Umm... you went flat out, AND you aren't Fleet" him-"But this is a trukk and these are boyz. they can do it because they believe they can do it" me-"...Right." -Kabal

It's cool to shoot 2 plasma cannons.....INTO YOUR PLAGUEMARINES.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:08:34 AM »
The Sky Ray is just not worth it except in lower point games.

get out...

anyways... there is really very little help we can provide on a "cold call" like this. its all going to be far too general and as such mostly unhelpful for any number of reasons.

when your friends pc gets fixed up then he should really pop around and have a look through some of the stickied posts.

they will help with tactics, army lists etc. as can we once he posts a list of his army - etc...