News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Viable Ordo Malleus Inquisitor retinues  (Read 622 times)

Offline Mentat55

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Viable Ordo Malleus Inquisitor retinues
« on: April 13, 2005, 01:06:33 PM »
I currently play a pure GK force, but I am thinking of adding some inquisitors to spice up the appearance of my army (tired of painting in Boltgun Metal), and to counter some of its weaknesses, primarily lack of anti-heavy infantry and anti-tank firepower.  Here are two inquisitors to answer those questions.  The points values may be a little off, I am going by memory.

Inquisitor Lord w/ master-crafted plasma pistol, daemonhammer, refractor field
3 Guard Veterans w/ plasma guns
2 Sages
3 Acolytes w/ plasma pistols
3 Familiars
Chimera w/ heavy bolter, heavy bolter, extra armour
Total: 377 pts

Advancing in the Chimera, this unit can pour out 7 AP2 shots at 12" after disembarking, and potentially many more if they get a chance to remain stationary for a turn.  The unit is more expensive than a 10-man GK squad, so it might be worth cutting down to a normal inquisitor and getting rid of the acolytes' plasma pistols and the inquisitor's daemonhammer. 

Inquisitor w/ bolt pistol, eviscerator, refractor field
3 Guard Veterans w/ melta guns
3 Acolytes w/ melta bombs, storm shields
Rhino w/ extra armour
Total: 255 pts

Clearly this unit is meant to hunt vehicles at close range.  The acolytes are given storm shields in the event that this unit assaults a dreadnought, to keep the inquisitor alive long enough to get 2-3 attacks with the eviscerator.  An alternative is to give the inquisitor Terminator armour, chainfist, bolter-meltagun, drop an acolyte, add a sage (so the inquisitor's one melta shot per game is at BS 5), and replace the Rhino with a Chimera.

Do other people have different ideas for inquisitor retinues along these lines?  Usually I see the CC inquisitor + retinue, or an inquisitor with a psycannon, 3 gun-servitors, 2 sages, and a mystic.  Are these retinues too expensive for what they are intended to do?  Can I make them smaller and still have them accomplish their goal?

Offline NephilimX

• R.I.P - Jon
  • Uneven numbers is heresy
Re: Viable Ordo Malleus Inquisitor retinues
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 03:12:00 PM »
I've been playing with the idea of a CC Inq with retinue, no better that 4+ saves, but them in a Rhino and open the top hatch. That gives them an effective charge range of 20" ... But I'm not sure how to set it up, and the Rhino wil be easier to pop, even with smoelauncher. Still, might be worth a shot..

Hangovers are just Gods way of telling us we have not yet perfected alcohol

- I'm not a Nerd! I'm a 13th level Paladin -

- Jesus saves .... and takes half damage -

Offline Havrik

• May Guilliman's creations fall
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:24:37 PM »
heh.. an inquisitor with an eviscerator.  that's one crazy bastard.  :p  so far, i haven't seen alot of things like that list. 

if you want plasma effects....

Inq. w/ Combi-Plasma, weapon of choice, & refractor
retinue of 2 sages, 1 mystic, and 3 warriors w/ 3 plasma guns (oddly, these two are cheaper than plasma pistol acolytes)

same plasma joy, more range, and more chances of making stuff go boom.   if you go for expensive CC weapons (like a thunder hammer), this list should be between 196-211 points, exluding vehicle.  the idea is for them to trek along or behind the grey knights, aiding with plasma joy, and killing low armor vehicles (4-8 plasma shots better do SOMETHING to it!).  if the oddball deep strike occurrs, the mystic allows you to blast it.  2 sages ensure re-rolls on ones.  this doesn't need familiars for any reason. 

if you want more ideas, check out games workshop section on inquisitors (in the daemonhunter section).  i particularly like the psyker of death (mua hahaha)
Vostroyans (1500) - 3-0-1
Black Templars (in progress)

High Elf (warband) 4-3-0

Offline Arbitor Ian

• The Emperor's Golden Scone is lovely with a cuppa
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 11:54:19 AM »
I'm not sure opening the top hatch on a Rhino and saying "it's an open topped vehicle now" so you can rhino rush again is really in the spirit of the rules....

As I remember, one of the reasons the 'charging out of a vehicle' rules were changed was specifically so you couldn't rhino rush....

for shame
It's not right if it's not a bit wrong.

PLAYING White Scars, Imperial Guard, Arbitrators, Inquisition
MAKING Rainbow Warriors, Tau, Squats, Emperor's Children, Harlequins, Death Guard

Offline Grand Master Rex Nihilo

• Victory is one part planning and nine parts Faith
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 01:05:05 PM »
Quote from: Mentat55 link
I currently play a pure GK force, but I am thinking of adding some inquisitors to spice up the appearance of my army (tired of painting in Boltgun Metal), and to counter some of its weaknesses, primarily lack of anti-heavy infantry and anti-tank firepower.  Here are two inquisitors to answer those questions.  The points values may be a little off, I am going by memory.

Inquisitor Lord w/ master-crafted plasma pistol, daemonhammer, refractor field

*remember you choose which weapon is master crafted before the battle so you have flexability

3 Guard Veterans w/ plasma guns

*Gun Servitor w Plasma Cannon would be good here, they aren't as effective with the new rules but still good!

2 Sages

*especially with plasmas

3 Acolytes w/ plasma pistols

*good idea

3 Familiars

* free wounds ;)

Chimera w/ heavy bolter, heavy bolter, extra armour

* Why not Turret Auto Cannon and Hull Heavy Bolter?

Total: 377 pts

Advancing in the Chimera, this unit can pour out 7 AP2 shots at 12" after disembarking, and potentially many more if they get a chance to remain stationary for a turn.  The unit is more expensive than a 10-man GK squad, so it might be worth cutting down to a normal inquisitor and getting rid of the acolytes' plasma pistols and the inquisitor's daemonhammer. 

*cost is a consideration but if it fills the void in your army then do it! BS 5 Plasma Death will take out smurfs and light to medium armour very effectively!!

7000 points of Grey Knights
6000 points of Fire Drakes Space Marines