News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Super Heavy Showcase  (Read 5029 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Super Heavy Showcase
« on: September 8, 2011, 01:12:07 AM »
SUPER HEAVY

No this is not an opening for a "your mama is so fat joke",  it is our topic of the month.  Rather than doing a typical unit of the month this is going to be more of a showcase.   We want to see your super heavies.   

Super Heavies are utilized in larger games of 40k (apocalypse level).  They provide a more durable unit that usually has a higher armor, uses structure points, and some even have void shields and force fields.  So they definately offer a pretty durable platform at a pretty fair point cost.

Many superheavies have a transport capacity.  This can be used to bring larger squads to battle or as a solid anchor to sit back on your home objectives.

Enough with the techical BS...   Show me the guns...   Ah yes possibly one of the best advantages that Super Heavies can offer is their massive guns or massive amount of guns.   Superheavies don't suffer the regular penalities for firing weapons and can in many cases open up with their full arsenol even targeting different units.   Add in the ability to take a titan close combat weapon and you can have a really nasty walker (right up my alley). 

Super Heavies Owned:
I currently own 2 Super Heavies for my orks.   I have a regular Stompa and a Mek Stompa (nicely converted, not by me). 

Stompa

Mek Stompa

Light weights who come out and play when the heavy's do

Dread Mob

My favorite Super Heavy Experience:
-In The Battle of the Bosses where my psycho dakka gun peppered a majority of Skeet's army on the one flank.   I was very impressed at the capabilities and for once I can say ork shooting did work.   

My future Super Heavy Project(s):
-building a Kustom Battle Fortress and painting my two Stompas.

So lets see your Super Heavies my fellow green skins.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 05:42:32 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
Re: Super Heavy Showcase
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2011, 04:06:59 AM »
If we can't do "your mamma" jokes, could we do "your squig is so fat" jokes?

Putting aside the horrible joke (and even more horrible of a concept), this Super Heavy monthly topic is also the Anniversary of the WotW's creation!  One year down, what 39,999 more to go?  Another horrible joke, please forgive, this Warboss is getting a little senile.

Super Heavies Owned:
Technically none yet, yet is the main word though, has I've proxied several, and have a couple that are in progress builds (yes I have unfinished progress, what Big Mek doesn't have a couple of those lining the shelves?), and several that I have already designed out.

Super Heavies in Progress:
  • Kustom Mega/Meka Dread -  started it over a year ago when I first got a copy of the IA8 rules, had problems with the legs appearance (as well as staying on), plus magnetic problems for switching between Mega and Meka variants.  It currently is somewhat of a paper weight giving me a guilt trip each time I look at it.
  • Squiggoth -  started it before Apoc rules following the old rules for it from the Feral Ork list (3rd or 4th edition, I don't remember when the Feral list came out), it's easily one of the oldest (if not the oldest) unfinished projects I have.  Based off of a dinosaur model it just looked so bad that I kept tearing it apart to try again that its now just an awful mess in some forgotten box in an unknown location, when I find it, I'm gonna finish it (kinda need a Squiggoth, doesn't everybody?)
  • Kustom Stompa...er maybe half Gargant - started it...a long time ago, or at least it feels like a long time ago, maybe 05, 06?  I don't even remember if there was rules released for it at the time.  I spent so many hours on it, putting a bunch of detail in what was to be an exposed interior section at the back, with a small scene of a Mek ordering some grots around a mock Warp core, and a captain's bridge to be visible through the metal jaws.  I spent too much time on the tiny details, and then was woefully discouraged when an official Stompa model was released at a much smaller scale than what I had been working on.  (I think I was going to have the end product be around 16" tall and mounted on a standard sized dinner plate, its now way too large for a Stompa, and still too small for a Gargant).

First time trying out the Meka Dread, sure it was a proxy, but I've never seen a Coke can perform better!  It was the MVP of the match, and thankfully my opponent didn't instantly target it with everything, because he knew I wanted to give him a try.  That first time I had a build with him using some Rokkit Bomb Racks and while a KFF would have likely been better, he was such a hoot.

In addition to the unfinished projects, I currently have my own ramshackle plans to build...
Blasta Bomma (super cool superheavy flying fortress, who wouldn't want to build one?)
2 Kustom Battlefortress (because you gotta have one with a Flakka Dakka gun, and one with a massive cannon in the style of the old school Epic models)
Kill Blasta (The tank that give Flash Gitz Dakka Envy)
More Mega Dreads (supposing I can work out the kinks on one)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »
Well then I have a couple (I know, your shocked....)

Super Heavies Owned:
Currently I have a stompa, a fighta bomma, a death roller fortress, a blasta bomma, and a kill blasta tank.
(Pssst; click on the picture for a full size view)

The Copta Carrier Stompa, I changed a few weapons around, but it uses the Eye in the Sky rules.

The Kill Blasta Tank,

The Fighta Bomma,

Super Heavy Work in Progress:
Now the next two are WIP. The Death Roller Fortress is a conversion from a land raider I got in a trade, still stuff to do, but it is a start.

The Blasta Bomma, I made it before I had rules from IA8 about blasta bomma, I originally made it off the Apocalypse rules for the marauder bomber, just orkified. Now I am converting it (more) to more masterfully match the Blasta Bomma.

In the KON my stompa got killed by the night bringer, and had an apocalyptic explosion that didn't kill a single thing, we laughed hard on that one.

At the Wrath of Con apoc game, my fighta bomma made a perfect bombing run and hit a whole row of Leman russes, and couldn't hurt them as the template was S5 and the side armor on the tanks was 12.

Another was when my stompa took on a whole wraith guard unit and using its stomp attack, killed 8 of the 10 for no damage in return.

I am going to get a baneblade to make a Skull hammer battle fortress, just as soon as she who must be obeyed raises my allowance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 08:22:46 AM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »
Super Heavies Owned:
Great Gargant, Stompa, Blasta Bommer.  I've also used a baneblade as a skullhamma.  Proxy experience covers: warhound and reaver titans, juiced-up chaos flyers.  And I've had the misfortune of playing against vdr iron warrior tanks, eldar titans, lots of IG varients, and the necron pylon turret.

Super Heavies in Progress:
There's a big tank sitting around here somewhere (has switched from kill bursta to kill tank to fortress so 'big tank' works for now).  Blasta Bommer is also high on the agenda... as well as some pulsa rokkit goodness.

From my greenskin experience... hmmm... i paired up my great gargant and stompa vs a warhound and reaver (going against ultramarines).  Stompa was ignored due to the great gargant being terrifying.  Shield got stripped on approach.  Combined fire from my titans dropped the warhound, then my titans went on a charge frenzy bouncing from tank to tank.. till they got to the reaver (beware the missile pod o' death).  I ended up getting both the stompa and great gargant into cc with the reaver.  Gargant had several fires ablaze by the end (i hate vindicators) but soaked so much attention half the boys made it to the other side of the table and the stompa was unmolested. IIRC: about 5k per side in the battle.  Haven't used the BB yet.

Tactica:
Some things I've learned
-- Necron pylons are horribly difficult to kill (especially if he's augmenting it with formations).
-- Eldar rev. titans are some nimble little bastards and are almost 'sniping titans'.
-- I've read the ork CC stompa (the one with klaws) is a nightmare, especially if you field a couple of them.
-- Skullhamma was cool, but it felt like it went down quickly -- i think it gains a high target priority with opponents due to perceived range.  Stompas/titans are seen as shorter range, so they think they can control the firefight based on eliminating the Skullhamma
-- The Mek Workshop stratagem is priceless for Ork Apoc games
-- I think moving forward under cover is essential to the ork titan advance.  The trick is navigating those "fat mothers" through the terrain to maintain maximum movement.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:54:57 PM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2011, 05:26:29 PM »
Well it sounds like Orktober for our Scrapyard build off we should get a superheavy challange going?

I would say September but I am working on finishing off the rest of my army and orktober is just more fitting.

@OD since when is a mega or meka dread a super heavy?  Not that I have a problem with that as I have one myself but still.

@skeetergod same goes for fighta bomba's :P

I am just playing guys, this is a good spot for them even though they aren't techically superheavies but they are utilized in apocalypse games.   

I think i am going to issue a challenge to everyone for october to get their Superheavies done.  (atleast one of them).

« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 05:43:12 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline Kogtoof

• Mek Boy
  • WotW-Ork Elite: Mekboy with Big shoota
  • Armies: Da Orkz
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »
I'll try to post a picture later but I built a stompa out of cardboard and some old toy bits. I also have a model rocket that I modeled like it was built by orks (I launched it and it achieved a spectaculer crash but after repairing it I use it in some games as a flyer).

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2011, 09:20:34 AM »

@skeetergod same goes for fighta bomba's :P

I went and looked it up, in an older IA book it talks about super heavy "formations" that take up a heavy slot, and in IA update (2006) it talks about fightas and fighta bommas being a heavy support choice, so I just connected that they were in the super heavy category.

Your stating the obvious that wasn't obvious to me, got me thinking (can you smell the burning cotton yet?).

Looking at the new IA8 book, they are not listed in the army list under any slot choice, and in their entry in the book it does not list a slot type to use. So, this means I can take fighta bommas as any force org slot I wish.  Except for that little blurb about flyers never being able to count as scoring, I could take a boss, two troop choices and 14 planes.  There are 17 slots in a standard force org table, so if I take the required units, then I can fill all the rest with planes (using up all available slots) creating an ork flying circus  8)

Of course it may be a bit tough to take and hold objectives, so I will just have to go for the massacre to get the win  ;)

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2011, 01:29:37 PM »
lol, Skeet

iirc, the only ork flyers that count as 'super-heavy' would be the bommer and blasta bommer (per structure point requisite).  FoC slots (aside from smaller games, in which you'd be correct with Heavy Slots) are out the window in most Apoc games.

If you wanted an airborne apoc super-heavy list:

Warboss
Big Mek
Boyz
Green Barons
Warkoptas (for HQs & troops/elites)
Fightas
Fighta-Bommers
Bommers w/ Stormies
Blasta Bommers w/ Stormies

Drop the larger Bommers for a regular list.

Athaga Mor

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2011, 07:07:36 PM »
I'm currently making a super heavy tank (I'll be using the skullhammer battle fortress rules for apoc and using it as a really big battlewagon with killkannon in normal games).
It is being made out of 2 land raiders side by side with the central tracks cut off and reattatched to the outside (this means that the tracks are twice as wide on each side) and a leman russ chassis on the front. I'll be using pipes and plasticard to make the big kannon and the extra engine/exhaust pipes.
The model is 8" wide and about 9.5" long. Pictures will be forthcoming as soon as I find my camera.

I also have a stompa which I have had for almost 2 years which is still on the sprues.

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
@OD since when is a mega or meka dread a super heavy?  Not that I have a problem with that as I have one myself but still.
Err... whoops.

Well it sounds like Orktober for our Scrapyard build off we should get a superheavy challange going?
I'd love to watch that one happen, not sure about how much I'd be able to finish, I think I need a bit more than just a month.  Actually a lot more than just a month.  But I'd love to see what Athaga or Skeetergod whip up a superheavy in a month.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
But I'd love to see what Athaga or Skeetergod whip up a superheavy in a month.

I'm game, but if we're going to do that I need to know asap.  Oct is crazy busy for me at work, so I'd have to do some planning if anything were to be started/finished.
Athaga Mor