News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard vs. Dark Eldar and Eldar help  (Read 1151 times)

Offline grimgunman

Imperial Guard vs. Dark Eldar and Eldar help
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
I decided to start Imperial Guard and I am frequently playing against my friends who are experienced DE/Eldar players. I was wondering if anyone can give me a good IG list that is good for taking out these armies so I can be up to par with them. There are no limitations to what I can buy, and we mostly play 1500s. I am afraid of going too mech because the DE have a ton of dark lances, and I would appreciate any strategies that are included to get past this.

Here's the basic DE list that he sent to me:

HQ
Asdrubael vect
Dais of Destruction

Troops
10 Kalabite Warriors
+Sybarite
+Phantasm Grenade
+Agoniser
+Splinter Cannon
+Dedicated transport
Raider
+Flicker Fields
+Splinter Racks
+Night Shields

10 Kalabite Warriors
+Sybarite
+Phantasm Grenades
+Agoniser
+Splinter Cannon
+Dedicated Transport
Raider
+Flicker fields
+Splinter Racks
+Night Shields

9 Wyches
+1 hydra gauntlet
+Haywire grenades
+Hekatrix
+Phantasm grenade
+Agoniser
+Blast Pistol
+Dedicated Transport
Raider (Dais of destruction)

Heavy Support
Ravager
+Disintegrator Cannons
+Night Shields
+Flicker Fields

Void Raven Bomber
+4 Monoscythe Missiles

(This list was meant to be against Space Marines, so his new list would be slightly different with Dark Lances)

Also, our current map is flat, has many crashed tanks, roads, and barricades

Thank you, I would really appreciate some help.

[gmod]Please don't list individual point costs. Just totals for the units are fine. We've got the codex, we'll know if something is wrong in the middile.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:38:03 PM by Rummy »

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
Re: Imperial Guard vs. Dark Eldar and Eldar help
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
I'm not really familiar with the Dark Eldar at all, especially with their new update.

If I recall they tend to be fairly fragile. You might look at grabbing a couple Hydra Flak Tanks for anti-transport work. Anti-anything work really.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:05 AM »
Like always, autocannons are your friend. Punches through their tanks, punches through their body armour, negates FNP. Good for both Eldar and Dark Eldar. :)

Whatever you take, make sure you stay clumped as you move. This prevents them from taking you apart piece by piece.

Dark lances are only slightly better than a Lascanon against AV 14, and they aren't great, so I wouldn't worry about it to the point that I wouldn't take a Russ.

Offline namadio

• Drunk or sober, never lose your composure
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 09:43:56 AM »
Like always, autocannons are your friend. Punches through their tanks, punches through their body armour, negates FNP.

Don't have my BRB in front of my but I'm about 99.9% certain the AP value of Autocannon does not negate FNP.  God I hate FNP.  Except when its on a straken CCS.

Even without negate FNP, autocannons are great for the first two reasons listed by GBT.  FNP sucks but guard rate of fire will prevail (the emperor wills it or something)!

The only Dark Eldar guy I've played a few times ran an army of all wyches and hekatrix brides or w/e the upgraded wych is led by lilith or something with a billion attacks on the charge.  Seemed very similar to an ork army and I just used many small units as speed bumps.  Flamers/HF on PCS were very good.  I never lost to him in 3 or 4 matches from 750-2000 pts.  A hybrid GL/ACplatoon/mech vets list tore it up and I tabled the DE everytime.

My only Eldar opponent owned me on mobility in a stupid tournament mission that was all about picking up objectives and then running away with them.  Possibly out of battlemissions book idk.

Follow GBT and Bert's list building articles and make a balanced list and you'll be good to go bro.  I think IG is very well paired against DE/Eldar.  Once you've got a list in your head, post it here and we'll provide advice.

And since money is no object, definitely get some FW Hydras.  They just sick and I feel like the rumored GW ones just never gonna come out because I've been waiting too long now.
-Nick
"Plans are nothing; planning is everything." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:14 AM »
Against typical DE / Eldar statlines, the strength of an AC's attack is enough to negate FNP.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 10:10:06 AM by GreatBigTree »

Offline Hanith

• Not on speaking terms with my dice.
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
    With how the board is set up, it may be geared toward the eldar players (lots of cover and LOS blocking objects). IG do well when they can bring all their guns to bear on numerous targets and cause widespread damage, this will be difficult to do with a dense terrain type board. Eldar (both types) do well when they are able to isolate enemy units and wipe them without much fear of retalitory fire, this makes dense LOS terrain ideal.

My suggestion, dig in and force them to come to you. Try to find a good spot with open space around a bit of cover. On top of a structure/terrain piece would be ideal for your troops. This would make the approach difficult and assaulting very risky (difficult terrain tests are the bane of many assault oriented armies). Without any cover to run through, any infantry would be fish in a barrel. This is where your heavy troop weapons come in (Lost of fire from atop difficult/cover saving terrain). To force them your way (if they aren't already rushing headlong toward your line) take some barrage weapons (the IG has plenty of these). Make them hurt every turn they try to hide or reposition themselves. Focus these barrage attacks on troops by capture points. If you cna make them run/die, that is one less point the enemy has. If assault troops are getting to close, focus them with your infantry/heavy weapons. Avoid using large template weapons that close to your line as they will inevitably scatter onto your own troops. Once they lose the ability to assault, your sheer weight of guns will win the day. You may also want to take a goodly supply of grenade launchers. These are fairly cheap and can be fired as blast helping to cope with poor IG BS as well as having a chance of breaking DE vehicles.

Having played both against and as eldar/deldar, flamers eat them alive. Heavy flamers are especially good at this as they break armor, ignore cover, and easily wound the squishy space elves. Chimera's are your friend here. Heavy flamers with grenade/plasma/flamer troops inside will allow you not only to wipe any cover-hugging infantry from the board but also to rush forward on the 4th-5th turn and grab/contest a couple capture points.

That said, watch out for warp-spiders, jetbikes, wytches, and Harlequins. All of these (and some unnamed others) can close the distance quickly and take out key targets (such as your company's order barker or specific heavy weapon teams). The spiders and jetbikes can move attack and move again preventing most retaliatory shots. The wytches will make short work of anything IG in melee and when jumping out of an open topped vehicle can assault turn 1 over a distance measured in feet. The Harlequins effectively ignore difficult terrain and can have perma night-fighting rules about them in addition to being very able melee fighters. This allows them to move through flanks you thought were secure by terrain.

The last key point is eldar/deldar need to commit wholly in order to accomplish anything worthwhile. These armies cannot pot-shot and "kill the odd unit" to attain victory like the IG. Because of this, taking a full platoon in reserves can help; especially when they are destroying what you had on the board and are in a state of disarray. (A friend of mine uses this strategy against me regularly and with good success. I commit my army, wipe his from the board with some casualties, and then must recuperate from the attack when the other 1/2 of his army suddenly appears in what is now an ideal (for him) and completely compromising (for me) location and arrangement).
For me: 16.667% chance of failure equates to a 83.334% failure rate.

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
We have weapons that ignore cover and Line of Sight. Grab a Colossus and/or Basilisk and being able to zip around the board doesn't help nearly as much anymore. If the terrain is LoS Blocking the Basilisk is fine. If it's lots of area terrain you might need the Colossus to just ignore it altogether.

And just because namadio gave it a shout out, here's my List Building Guide.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:48 PM »
Last time I played the Dark Eldar I got whooped!!! I still dont know what the heck i was getting killed by- all thier weird witchy weapons! I took to many lascannons- next time i play DE i will do as GreatBigTree said, take auto cannons. This gives you another shot and is more than capable of taking down their transports. You're really going to want that extra shot when he starts cover saving (5+) all the pens with the flicker fields! quite annoying!!!
I dont see any razorwing fighters on the list but if you see them, dont underestimate them; they have alot of killiness!!!

cheers and good luck!
Doesn't Ally well with others...