News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What should I do with my army?  (Read 469 times)

Offline Sanitarium

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
What should I do with my army?
« on: April 4, 2005, 01:05:48 AM »
Alright guys, here goes. I've just started playing orks, and want to know how to construct my army to be effective against the armies I play. I mostly play Eldar, Beakies, Tau, and Necron. Mainly pretty shooty armies. I have the Ork starter set, and just won an auction for 79 2nd Ed Grots and 39 2nd Ed Boyz(yes, I know they don't look too good, but conversion is fun!). What should I buy to fight these armies?

Offline Warboss Waaazag

• Da Kan't Stoppable.
Re: What should I do with my army?
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2005, 06:28:30 AM »
Post yer list as it stands fer now. Do you have a Warboss? If not buy one. I'll give you advice if you post a list. Call it orky forum etiquette (orkiquette?). WHat have you built so far? And have you played any games with yer orks yet?
Proud Member of the 40konline Metal Club!

Fidelis Ultra Mortem an' stuff

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2005, 02:38:55 PM »
Seriously, just field what you have to start.  Use the Grots as shields and start marching!  See how you do.  Use all the cover you can!  Include Nobs in your army - maybe you can convert some of the ones you just bought, or paint them differently to show them as Nobs.

If this does not work for you, you might consider a little bit of fast stuff - the worst part about fighting Shooty Armies is that you have to march all day before you can get into hand-to-hand, getting shot all the way.  But when you get there (hope all those grots help you get there) you will kick butt.

A -very- basic force you can fight with Right Now:

1 Warboss
Unit of 30 Grots (with slaver)
Unit of 30 Grots (with slaver)
Unit of 19 Grots (with slaver)
Unit of 16 Orks and 1 Ork Nob to lead them
Unit of 17 Orks and 1 Ork Nob to lead them

So out of your 79 Grots, paint each unit in different colors.
Out of your 39 Boyz, paint 3 of these to match the Grots (these are your slavers)
Also paint 1 of these guys to be your Warboss
Finally, paint up 2 units of Orks... use 2 Boyz as Nobs and paint them to match your Boyz Units, but also make them stand out somehow so everyone knows that they are Nobs.

I suggest buying the Codex: Ork first.  Play using the above suggestions and learn how they work.  After you have done this for a while, you will be able to better decide what to get next!
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2005, 02:52:58 PM »
The old-style Orks make nice Trukk Boyz, too, in my opinion.  I see that you have the Ork Starter Set, so you have a Trukk.  I like the 2nd Ed Orks for this because they actually fit in the Trukk, sort of.  By using an old credit card and some twist ties, I made a canopy-thing for my Ork Trukk.  That means I can put even more Boyz on top!  Trust me, Orks love this.

Anyway, more ideas:

That lot of grots you got are a good investment.  You dearly need the protection to go up the field with against shooty armies.  Your Buggy and your Bikes are also important - you have to keep the enemy busy while you are marching.  A unit of Trukk Boyz might be nice - anything that lets you get some boyz into the action faster is pure gold.  Lucky for you, you have lots of Boyz.  Why not use the trukk to get ten of them up there and into hand-to-hand fast?
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN