News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Are inquisitors good.  (Read 1461 times)

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
Are inquisitors good.
« on: April 8, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »
 Are inquisitors good and if what at.
it was harry...

Offline Charred Heretic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Are inquisitors good.
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2005, 02:21:06 PM »
shmee,

The simplest answer is: "it depends on how you use him".

Inquisitors are probably not good for new players, because his abilities are quirky.  Just getting through a 1000 pt game without several major mistakes is challenge enough all on its own.  Generally speaking, Inquisitors are difficult to use effectively, because they are Str3 T3 weighing in at a hefty 45 points.  So from a very basic perspective, his modest statline makes him a somewhat un-economic choice.

Read through his abilities, and try to picture them being used on the field.
If you can envision him using his abilities/wargear to earn back more than his points cost, then he will be good for you.  If you can't envision him earning his points cost, then he will not be good for you.

Offline shmee shmee

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2005, 02:23:36 PM »
 charred you still didn't answer my question and i don't have his stats
it was harry...

Offline Konstantine

• "Don't worry, be happy"
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2005, 02:31:01 PM »
Inquisitors rock IF and WHEN they have a good retinue, and u r facing Deamons, also it depends on the type of Inquisitor (Lord or Regular) personally i take Regulars with a Bolter-Plasma gun as a pimped up Vet Sarge.
"I say don't you know
                        you say you don't know
                        I say, Take me out"
    Franz Ferdinand - The greatest band ever....EVER

Offline Charred Heretic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2005, 03:24:02 PM »
charred you still didn't answer my question and i don't have his stats
Str3 T3 should tell you a lot about his stats.  Copyright laws prevent me from giving you all of his abilities, of which there are many.
You need to evaluate his abilities in order to make an informed decision.  But if you really want an oversimplified opinion from one humble user, he is not good.

Offline Jezreel

• Ork Boy
  • Check the salad bowl again. You'll be surprised.
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2005, 01:13:50 AM »
Personally, i like the Inquisitor
A) he looks cool
B) this is the Inquisition
C) you can pimp him up with a retinue (improving his BS, WS, Inititive)

I gave mine a psycannon, and a warrior with a heavy holter and he just sits back a shots things.
Hammerhand can boost his strength and acolyts can save his butt.

D) He looks cool

have fun
I never learned to walk the surface on my own
       So lately this ocean floor
   Has been feeling more like
        home.

Offline Havrik

• May Guilliman's creations fall
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 10:25:37 AM »
Inquisitors fight depending on what you give him.  If you read the DH codex, you'll find that he can be accompanied with 'henchmen' (retinue) that can boost his abilities, depending on who you field and how many.  Some example lists:

Assaulty Inq.

Inq. Lord w/ daemonhammer, bolt pistol, & Halocaust Spell
w/ retinue of 3 acolytes (w/ storm shields) and 3 warriors (combat servitors.  they come w/ power fists and CCW)

this list is a tad pricey, (220 altogether, or 300 if you add a chimera to it) but it can potentially kick ass in CC.  6-9 power fists and 4-5 thunder hammer strikes are very likely gonna kill stuff, and the acolytes can hand out invul saves to power attacks. 

Shooty Inq.

Inquisitor (elite selection) w/ Psycannon
w/ retinue of 2 sages, 1 mystic, and 3 warriors (all gun servitors with heavy bolters.)

This list is 150 pts, but it shall work very well against hordes or tau (ap4).  (add 25 pts if you want him to be an Inq. Lord)

There's one other thing about Inquisitors.  If you have an Inq. Lord, you can get an assassin too.  they are expensive and specialize in one particular thing, but they do it quite well.  But, i'll that for the codex to explain.
Vostroyans (1500) - 3-0-1
Black Templars (in progress)

High Elf (warband) 4-3-0

Offline Baron von Sakamoto

• And I still !$#%ing am!
    • Hive Fleet Cerberus: Cerberus Rising
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:11:41 AM »
It's how you use them. It's like asking "Are Daemonhunters better than Chaos?". It depends all on what you want. Seeing as how you can pimp out Inquisitors in almost anyway you want, the combat roles they can take on makes them extremely flexible on the field. You can give him a retinue with lots of warriors and give him Heavy Bolters & they make awesome anti-horde, Eldar/Tau/DE. They can take on the anti-daemon role awesomely. Get a DH inq and he can take Sanctuary & 2 Hierophants & stick him on a central objective, he and basically anything within it's holy aura cannot touch it (so long as it's a Daemon).
No list is right or wrong.
Angry Misanthrope. Don't mess with me.

Offline Killgore

• Guardian
  • Ulthwe
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 10:47:31 AM »
I have a Inquisitor not for his stat lines but because of the unit options i can take when i have one.

I like Orbital Strikes and my Anti-Psyker Assasin (the name of which I can never spell even remotly right)

I have the Vanhelsing (]I[ Lorr ) model, so my guy is simplie armed with a Power weapon and Plasma pistol which is on the model.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 02:19:30 PM »
I frequently use a Witchhunter Inquisitor Lord in my force.  Aside from unlocking other units like Killgore does I also like the wargear options and psychic powers they have available.  Liber Hereticus is one of my favorite pieces of wargear, though a psychic hood is slowly moving up the ranks as psykers become more powerful.  Powers like Purgatus and Hammer of Witches are also nice.  It's hard come up with how well a Order Hereticus Inquisitor does because much of its abilities are focused on interfering with an opponent's plans.  I've almost always found them to be game-breakers though.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.