News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Painting competition entry - Phantom Titan  (Read 1895 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Painting competition entry - Phantom Titan
« on: January 30, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Not having done one of these before I thought I'd actually try and document my attempt to get an Epic-scale Phantom Titan painted up for the 'Wading Through Paint' competition. This is the starting point:

All in pieces as supplied by Ebay.

My thoughts are that I really want to do something with the pose - it's an old model with a very static pose and I'd like it to look a lot more dynamic, it's an Eldar Titan after all and despite their size they're meant to be remarkably graceful machines. I'm thinking of having it either picking up/crushing a tank with its power fist, or kicking one right off the battlefield (dropgoal!  :D ). I'm planning on decorating the base with some Epic infantry models too, some small trees/scenery, and maybe sorting out some banners for the Titan itself.

The only problem with sorting out the model's pose is that I'm going to have to start cutting through knees, ankles and probably hips too, and I'm a bit nervous about doing that. Still, there's a first time for everything...
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Painting competition entry - Phantom Titan
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 10:52:09 AM »
I would love to see the "Dropgoal" pose... and that guy is about the same size as the OOP Wraithlord if I remember correctly, so you could use it for multiple game systems if you were so inclined.

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:16:59 PM »
I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread. Very cool model. Good luck :)

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2010, 12:34:05 PM »
Progress report - 6th Feb.

OK so here's the progress as of yesterday. All the parts have been tidied up - mould lines removed and a few bits of flash too. There are still one or two scraps of paint attached to the model - I'll remove these later on when I come to paint it.

The legs have been cut in 3 places and reposed - more on that in a mo - and the body and shoulderpads are attached. Since that pic was taken I've also attached the right foot, reposing the toes as well. It's all glued to a standard 60mm base - the Titan's legs each have a peg, so the left leg's peg is holding it onto the base and I've cut the right one off since it'll be up in the air and on view.

In terms of reposing the legs I cut in the following places:

Left hip - all the way through. The left leg's reattached at a different angle so that the Titan's body is leaning forward, ready to boot an enemy tank to kingdom come (or should that be Rhana Dhandra come?).

Right knee - cut at the front beneath the kneepad, and at the back where I've removed a wedge of the back of the knee so that the lower leg can bend back further.

Toes of right foot (not in picture) - cut slightly on the top so that they can bend downwards, since the foot's up in the air.

I used a modelling saw and a craft knife, and filled/secured each of the joints with superglue. No greenstuff, no pinning, just lots and lots of superglue  :)

For the upper body, the torso is twisted slightly to the left, and the shoulderpads are angled back and forwards (left and right respectively) so that the final pose will hopefully look more like the Titan is about to kick something and not like it's flailing about trying not to fall over...    There's a Powerfist Of Doom(tm) on the right arm, and a heat lance (world's biggest fusion gun) on the left. I guess that fits, since this guy's definitely not a sit-back-and-shoot kind of Titan. He's up in your face, kicking you in it. :D

Hopefully more progress tomorrow, got a painting/modelling session scheduled with a couple of mates. Will keep this as up to date as I can.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Markay

• Lieutenant Colonel | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hardcore card whore.
    • My Portfolio Website
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing how this project ends up. Its a very interesting model and the posing looks great so far.

Keeping an eye on this  ;)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2010, 10:44:19 AM »

Progress as of today. I've added the right foot and heat lance to the model, but the other parts are going to interfere with each other too much to be assembled before painting. So there's not really much to say, just a white undercoat on the parts as they stand at the moment. Bit of a different angle on the Titan's pose so hopefully you can see a bit better how it looks.

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »

First bits of colour are going on. At the moment it's just filling in areas with Mordian Blue. The blue's going on first and I'll highlight it up, and then start working on the rest. The white will be last since it's the hardest to correct if I get some other colour onto it!