News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Dark Millenium Project  (Read 18763 times)

Offline Bregan D`Arth

Re: The Dark Millenium Project
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »
Is it to late to get in on this.

My main army is Dark Eldar, but I have read everything that applies to the 40K setting (I so love some of the short stories)

Bregan
Your pain is like sweet wine to my soul

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »
Is it to late to get in on this.

My main army is Dark Eldar, but I have read everything that applies to the 40K setting (I so love some of the short stories)

Bregan

Hi there Bregan, and welcome to 40K online :)

No, it's not to late. In fact, it's still fairly early in the project.

If you'd like to get in on the project, PM me a sample of what work you can do. We'll take the rest of the discussion through PM's :)

Offline Quid

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2005, 05:36:43 AM »
interesting project you have going on here. DM eh?

I have been playing 40k since the Rouge Trader days and remember
the DM expansion set.

More detailed rules would be cool. I hope it won't slow the game down.

But anywho...

I still have some of the old cards and have been
thinking of some ideas of my own to use them.

There are also some good old CJ issues with variant
rules for 2nd Ed. I was looking at updating.

I am also an artist and could contribute some work.

I know, "You are new, get use to the forums, PM me with
your idea when your ready, yadda, yadda..."

Will do.

Later

Quid

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2005, 09:11:37 AM »
I know, "You are new, get use to the forums, PM me with
your idea when your ready, yadda, yadda..."

Will do.

Later

Quid

*LOL*

Yes, quite right :) I'll be looking forwards to your work. You have the special advantage of actually remembering the original DM :)

Offline TheOTHERmaninblack

• What could possibly happen-pen-pen-pen????
Audition, Take 1.....
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2005, 02:20:54 AM »
Er....yeah.... <tap tap> IS THIS THING ON? Oops!  Sorry. :-[   That better?  Good! ;D
I'm a relative newcomer to the game; only the past three years or so.  On the other hand, I run a Rogue Trader store (shhhh!  It's a secret!)  and have a pretty good core gaming group on which to experi-- uhm..... playtest  new rules.  I'm also the chief arbiter of disputes, as I can ignore personal preferences when I'm forced to make decisions.
  Although my experience with 40K isn't what some of the oldtimers is, I do have other credentials.  In a past life I was the DM of Doom.  11th level mages trembled in their boots when they spied treasures, for they knew them to be tricked and trapped with devilishly clever and insanely deadly-- but I digress.  What I'm trying to get across is an ability to pay attention to detail.   
   I'm long-winded.  That is to say, I command sufficient language to get my point completely across.  And I can stick with a project.  Or, at least, so said the publishers who produced my novel (sadly, now out of print :'()
    Finally, It falls upon me locally to put into writing whatever house rules we come up with.  This has honed my ability to be precise and fair. 
   The above credentials, I think, should suffice to prove my worth.  I humbly await the royal edict <bows and backs away>
Rule #1: PILLAGE, THEN   BURN!

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #45 on: June 4, 2005, 06:08:28 AM »
We could use more mebers on the project. It is growing, and alot of work has been done, though we are far from finished.

Samples:

1.1 Running[/u]

Units can choose to forgo shooting and assaulting, and instead elect to run. If a unit elects to run, it get's an additional d6" during the shooting phase.
Units with FoF can choose to forgo shooting and assaulting for an all out sprint. The unit get's to roll 2D6 and choose the highest for FoF.
Note, units with FoF may still use FoF normally.

2.4 OVERWATCH: (New Rule)

At the start of your movement phase, you may declare that you wish to place units into overwatch. The unit must be led by a squad leader or independant character. The unit must pass an unmodified Ld test in order to enter overwatch, if the unit failed the Ld test, they must resolve their turn as normal. If the unit passes it's Ld test, it may not move, shoot or perform any other action during your turn. A unit in overwatch may fire it's weapons during the opponents movement phase. If the declare fire rule is used, the unit on overwatch must also declare a target before entering overwatch.

3.1 Cavalry, bikes & Hit & Run

Any unit mounted on bikes, horses, dragons etc, are always allowed to Hit & Run.

And lots, lots more.

Seem exciting? Join now!

Roy

Offline El Loco

• Why?
« Reply #46 on: June 4, 2005, 08:23:44 PM »
I'd really like to join, but what do I have to do, or what kind of stuff are you looking for?
"Veni, VIdi, Vici"  (I Came, I Saw, I Conquered)

"Veni, Vidi, Castratavi Illegitimos" ( I Came, I Saw, I Castrated the Bastards)

"Veni, Vidi, Spurius Brutus Deitrum Cowi" (I Came, I Saw, I Tore the Thick Bastards Limb from Limb)

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #47 on: June 5, 2005, 11:17:01 AM »
I'd really like to join, but what do I have to do, or what kind of stuff are you looking for?

Well, the whole idea is to create new and exiting rules, something that will bring more complexity and tactics into the game. Introducing new elements that makes the game more exiting for those players that have mastered the rules, and want to see more out of the game.

In order to join the project, you need to fufill the requirements given in the original post, and PM me a sample of what you can contribute with; Fluff, artwork, rules, ideas etc.

Then we'll take it from there :)

Offline Landerah

• RISK 2!!!!
« Reply #48 on: June 7, 2005, 05:12:25 AM »
I'm really interested in joining. Myself and my four regular gaming friends have been developing sample rules for a few years now, and written a couple of unofficial codices. They actually get played at the local Gaming Store as actual armies, and after a bit of twaking are very playable. So I've had a fair bit of experience with rule-making/changing. Interestingly, we already play with the run rule posted earlier!

Should I PM you (Roy) some of our stuff?
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 05:13:37 AM by Landerah »
And although the seven of them were there, none of them saw.

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #49 on: June 7, 2005, 05:28:24 AM »
Yes, please do :)

Offline billy-bill

• Ynnead is coming...
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2005, 03:55:06 AM »
i am not intrestred in joining, per say b/c my grammer and spelling is crap, but i have 2 or three ideaa

prism cannons have interchangable shots to show a change in intensity.

1-large template st 4 ap 4

2-no template st 9 ap 1

maybe a third option 3-small template st 5 ap 3 or some thing...

OMG give the wraithlore and guard an invunrable sv!!! There made of the most advances organic material in the game... at least a 6...

we also need some major protest against the phyic hood            some thing like a ghost helm only referse...

sorry if im just wasted fourm space but i wanted to atleast get my ideas out there...
give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day...
kill a man, raise him as your' undead servent and he'll never go hungry again!

Offline uncle-phil

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2005, 06:44:48 AM »
Hi, it was suggested that I come here since I was looking for someone who had some of the older rule books handy and could refresh my memory on the old rules for psychic hoods etc.
A few weeks back I got a look at 3rd ed rules -some are good, others not so. Some of the detail of games seems to have been lost while some of the rules have become more complicated..
So I started working on a set of rules that combined the best of RT and 3rd Ed with a few additions (and deletions!) of my own.
Not sure how much of this will be of interest to you guys -the 2nd Ed rules are one of the books I've never owned and can't find a copy.
Anyhow -some of the stuff I've come up with is a psionics system without mastery levels, a simpler melee system that retains weapon strengths and routers fighting and a Necromunda based close combat system for small fights

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2005, 05:16:33 PM »
Hi, it was suggested that I come here since I was looking for someone who had some of the older rule books handy and could refresh my memory on the old rules for psychic hoods etc.
A few weeks back I got a look at 3rd ed rules -some are good, others not so. Some of the detail of games seems to have been lost while some of the rules have become more complicated..
So I started working on a set of rules that combined the best of RT and 3rd Ed with a few additions (and deletions!) of my own.
Not sure how much of this will be of interest to you guys -the 2nd Ed rules are one of the books I've never owned and can't find a copy.
Anyhow -some of the stuff I've come up with is a psionics system without mastery levels, a simpler melee system that retains weapon strengths and routers fighting and a Necromunda based close combat system for small fights

Several of the people working on the project have simalar goals, so we understand. I started playing RT/2nd ed, and what I wanted to achieve with this project was to make a supplement like the original Dark Millenium was for 2nd ed. We are focusing mainly on making supplementary rules for 4th edition, but in some cases, we are suggesting alternative rules as well.

You are fairly new to the forum, so I know little of you. Start by PM'ing me some ideas for rules, and information about yourself. I don't want just random thoughts, I want actual playable rules.

Roy

Offline uncle-phil

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2005, 06:22:32 AM »
To save having to possibly repeat myself I'll post the outline on this board.
Movement is using RT figures, so 4" for a human, 3" for a squat, 7" for a zoat etc. Charges at double rate. Breaking away from combat, routs and pursuits etc are 2D6". Mounting vehicles, using doors etc pretty much as for RT.
Vehciles move as 3rd/4th but 2" penalty for each 45 degree turn, half rate for reversing etc. Acc/Dec TRR rules are optional for Street race scenarios and certain vehicles.
Shooting pretty much as 3rd Ed -although I'm bringing back grenades and some of the RT weapons, including plasma weapons that recharge/cool off in addition to the "hot" weapons. Deviation based on BS, including for flamers.
Assault I've simplified a lot -no push backs -just keep fighting or rout. Routs and pursuits move all turns till resolved. Routers and pursuers continue to fight -no "if you catch them they are automatically destroyed". Weapon strengths and AP used in close combat once again -so worth having a chainsaw again. Penalties for double weapon use for many troop types.
Psionics -back to the psi-point system but no levels -also additional hazards for psykers vulnerable to warp creatures.
Also some additional rules for small games, mainly based on Necromunda but with some changes in sequence to make things clearer.
Some revised ideas for weapons, esp power weapons -power fist is at I-1, so does not necessarilly strike last
I'll try and find time to send you the full thing directly, but I'm fine tuning a few passages

Offline Roy

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2005, 07:31:20 AM »
Many of your  ideas are things many people have commented. But we aren't trying to replace the ruleset, rather make a supplement to the current ruleset. We are however presenting alternative rules for some things.

PM me when you're ready, and I'll go throught it :)

Offline Void

• BLAST OFF! IT'S PARTY TIME!
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2005, 08:13:59 AM »
Roy, did you get the pm I sent you?
How to justify one's self: I am a spammer, therefore I believe that all you say is spam and I am therefore able to destroy your reality and substitute my own.  So there.  Nyah nyah.

Also known as Freak Ona Leash at WarSeer.

Offline uncle-phil

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2005, 08:37:08 AM »
poses the question when does something become different rules rather than alternate. One of the strengths with the WH40K is that it is possible to slot different bits together. You can use the current movement rules (everything moves 6"), RT movement rules or mine (pretty much RT for movement) and combine that with offical shooting rules, RT, necormunda or mine (which owe more to 3rd ed with the main exception of the cover rules) -like wise the assualt rules, where you also have the option of the necromunda type combat score system etc

Unfortunately I don't know how the 2nd ed rules differ from the others, or what the dark millenium supplement was like

phil

Offline Ixidor10024

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2005, 07:10:07 PM »
2.4 OVERWATCH: (New Rule)

At the start of your movement phase, you may declare that you wish to place units into overwatch. The unit must be led by a squad leader or independent character. The unit must pass an unmodified Ld test in order to enter overwatch, if the unit failed the Ld test, they must resolve their turn as normal. If the unit passes it's Ld test, it may not move, shoot or perform any other action during your turn. A unit in overwatch may fire it's weapons during the opponents movement phase. If the declare fire rule is used, the unit on overwatch must also declare a target before entering overwatch.

Roy

I sent a PM to you but I would like to post a comment on overwatch in case I am not what you are looking for. One of the problems with over watch before is that whole armies would be afraid to move and would spend the whole game hidding and if it did move, it would be gunned down by the other army that was in overwatch. While the new rule does a little to fix this, I could still see this problem happing with armies such as SMs. I suggest to make overwatch an upgrade skill, like tankhunters or something. That way, most people would only buy overwatch for a squad or two without taking a points hit. Or, make it a special rule that certain units have, like Devastators. That way the same problems that happened before with overwatch will not happen again by armies with higher leadership.

I understand that this is not the best place to discuss this, but I wanted to put it out there even if I am not accepted.

Offline uncle-phil

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »
When I was looking at alternate rules I had a good look at the overwatch rules in Necromunda but couldn't really see the worth -as you may gather, I'm not into adding extra rules that don't add anything. The reasoning was as follows-

An important aspect of understanding how WH40K works is to grasp the concept that although MOVEMENT and SHOOTING phases are played sequentially they are really simultaneous events.
        For example, a fast moving skimmer makes a long move, sweeping by a pistol armed assault unit and finishing behind a building. The skimmer started off out of range of the units pistols and finishes out of sight -can the assault unit fire upon it during their turn?
        The answer is “YES” if any part of the Skimmers course took it within range of the unit's pistols. If the vehicle moved close enough they may even assault the vehicle. If successful in stunning the crew, immobilizing or destroying the vehicle the model didn't finish its move and is moved back from behind the building to the point it was attacked.
        This also explains how models that dart from cover to cover can still be hit. Staying behind Hard cover gives a hit modifier of -2. Moving from Hard cover to separate piece of Hard cover within move distance makes the model -1 to hit. Moving from Hard to Soft, Soft to Hard or from Soft cover to more Soft cover are all at -1 to hit.

Note that on these rules the old idea of cover effecting hit probability (rather than save) is used

Offline Pvt. Dancer

• Dropped at the first sign of trouble
« Reply #59 on: July 9, 2005, 03:08:15 PM »
Hey uhmm, i'm working on a Tau Story which involves Necrons, Chaos, Eldar, Kroot, Tau and Orks, i'm not very far with it 5 page or so about a special character i made up and made rules for him, would you like to see them?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 01:34:51 PM by Omnicron »