News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2014 US Rugby 7s  (Read 2185 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
2014 US Rugby 7s
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »
South Africa certainly got the no sweat pool. Kenya, Wales, and Canada? Think they'll be okay in there. Yet, who will be the second do you think?

England and Samoa should eat their rivals of Portugal and Uruguay alive.

Argentina and France should crush the US and Spain but this one could go in multiple directions so certainly the most fun pool.

Which leaves us with New Zealand and Fiji probably dominating Australia and Scotland.

That's before the All Blacks blow it in the semis or the finals as they're contracted not to win a tournament when I'm watching.

Edit: Muahahaha! And we lost in the final! Again! Canada gave a very erratic Samoa a thrashing and the England/Australia final was very satisfying to watch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:19:56 PM by Rummy »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

• You have the right to act your shoe size
Re: 2014 US Rugby 7s
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:29 AM »

That's before the All Blacks blow it in the semis or the finals as they're contracted not to win a tournament when I'm watching.

Edit: Muahahaha! And we lost in the final! Again! Canada gave a very erratic Samoa a thrashing and the England/Australia final was very satisfying to watch.

Muahaha, the win also put us at the top of the standings, and one of your players got a 9 game ban for eye gouging, which means he misses the NZ leg completely.
Birthdays are good for you, the more you have the longer you live.

If you ignore your health long enough, it will go away.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Break the rules you get the ban. No sympathy for them. Nice to see your team is doing better than last year.  :)
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline TagniK'ZuR

« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
Yes, glad to see that too. Also notice there's a bit of a gap forming between SA and NZ and the rest. And call me vain, but to me, thats how it should be in all forms of rugby.

Super rugby is also starting soon, and for about the third year running, I'm not very optimistic about my team, but so far, they've pulled through and done well every time...... Feel for Arno Botha though, out for 6 months with an ACL injury, first game back (practice against stormers) and he picks up an ACL injury again :(

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
Last year was a blow out though. The AB's could have taken the last tournament off and still been top of the table no matter who won. Interesting enough we're at about the same place points wise as this time last year as well +/- 1 point.

Still, the highlight was seeing the new mascot (Mr. Rugby) being viciously mugged by the three years ago mascot Sam the Eagle. Beautiful piece of filthy play.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline TagniK'ZuR

« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2014, 04:46:43 AM »
SO, NZ lost to Fiji and SA lost to Eng, but both teams still made it to the Cup QF's

Here's hoping both teams have a better day tomorrow

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2014, 12:18:30 PM »
We lost to Fiji because of a few sloppy mistakes and a very obvious and deliberate foul. He was lucky he wasn't red carded for that one. England won last year so wouldn't be surprised if they perform well again today.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline TagniK'ZuR

« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2014, 12:01:43 PM »
Just looking at the scores here, NZ seem to have been in incredible form this series, shutting out everyone since the game against Fiji, even into the final. congratulations on the victory.

Canada almost beat Aus? that would have been amazing (where's a devil smiley when you need it?)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
Canada have been doing very well the past few tournaments. In Vegas they were scarily good. Yeah, the 12 points scored against the AB's by Fiji in their first match were the only points against for the entire tournament. SA were little worse though with a fine run of zero against matches. The lead between the first two and three in the table is embarrassing.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
Re: 2014 Rugby 7s
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
What's happened to Samoa and Fiji? They used to be top rung 7s teams and now Samoa is being soundly defeated by the US and Japan. That's just not right no matter how you look at it.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline TagniK'ZuR

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:28 AM »
I missed this weekend's seven's almost entirely, Just managed to see the highlights of 2 of our games in between the World T20 and Super rugby.

Both highlights I saw, had SA yellow carded, didn't see why, or how many more times we were carded, but surely this is a problem that needs fixing ASAP.

Seems there were quite a few upsets, and USA even pushed us close. Fiji still managed the win, so no harm done to them, and imo, Samoa have never been as good as Fiji, but they still managed to beat France.

All in all, I wouldn't read too much in these pool stage results, as I said, a lot of upsets. The overall points log still looks more or less right ;)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
You'll have to think further back as in the previous seasons Samoa were actually in the top 3 and have pushed for first place throughout the years. It was last year and this year that they can barely keep their head up against basically anyone.

The US is looking for most improved team so far this year. If they could work on their consistency they'll have a good future heading into Rio.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline TagniK'ZuR

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:29 AM »
You'll have to think further back as in the previous seasons
Carn't do that Cap'n
I'm lucky if I get to see 3-4 games a year, which is barely enough to help me keep track of the important teams (SA & NZ)

The order in which I watch sports is also as follows:
Domestic Cricket
Test Rugby
Super Rugby
Test Cricket
ODI Cricket
T20 Cricket (these 2 used to be at the top, but I've worked on my masochistic tendencies)
Sevens Rugby

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 05:53:18 PM »
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:55:06 PM by Rummy »
Drink
Knights Tippler