News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Improving the Astra Militarum  (Read 38647 times)

Online Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: Improving the Astra Militarum
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2015, 07:46:01 PM »
It would make that unit an Auto-Include for me... but I'd be THRILLED to have Ogryns be our Tomb Blades. I'll step up and say that I'd buy Ogryn kits if I could do that.

Hallelujah!  We've done it then!  We've fixed Ogyrns!  And it was so simple too! :D

As for your list, remember that we more or less agreed to shave 25pts of the cost of a standard Russ on account of the 'battlecannon problem', so if you are using all of our changes there's an extra 50pts to play around with right there!  :)

Now if only we can do the same for Ratlings and Scions...

Online Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2015, 02:33:18 PM »
Hi guys.  I just want to post all the changes we've made to the IG list for evaluation.  Please tell me what you think:

Platoon Standards: All friendly AM units within 12'' re-roll failed fear, morale and pinning tests.

Company Stanadrds: All friendly AM units within 12'' re-roll failed fear, morale and pinning tests, and add +1 to close combat resolution.

Lord Commissar: Now costs 50pts, +1 Initative, add Voice Of Command.

Commissar: +1 Wound, +1 Initiative, add Aura Of Discipline.

Primarus Pysker: No change.

Ministorum Priest: +1 Weapon Skill, +1 Ballistic Skill, +1 Wound.  New Wargear list. (Flak Armor, Laspistol, CC weapon, Frag and Krak Grenades, Rosarius.  May replace laspistol with autogun/shotgun/bolt pistol/bolt gun/storm bolter/combi-weapon/condemnor boltgun/plasma gun/eviscerator.  May take items from the Melee Weapons list.

Techpriest Enginseer:  +1 Ballistic Skill, +1 Wound, +1 Attack, +1 Leadership.  Wargear: Power armour, laspistol, power axe, frag grenades, krak grenades, refractor field.

Scions: Scion units now 55pts (+10pts for extra models) and if squad numbers ten men may take 3 special weapons.  Command Squad now 65pts.  All Scion units have Scout and Infiltrate.  Wargear now Carapace armor, HS lasgun, HS laspistol, frag and krak grenades for all.  Tempestor may replace HS lasgun with CC weapon.  Tempestor Prime has Carapace armor, HS laspistol, close combat weapon, frag and krak grenades, refractor field.  HS lasguns and pistols have +6’’ range.  Clarion Vox Net is now Tempestor Primes platoon may use his leadership for orders.

Oygrns:  Now cost 25pts each (30 for bonehead).  Entire squad may take Carapace Armor (+5pts/model)

Bullgrns:  Now cost 30pts each (35 for bonehead).

Pyskers:  May now take up to 15 additional psykers (squad size 5-20)

Ratlings: Option for entire unit to buy camo gear, snare mines and rat traps (cluster mines)(+1pts/model/each).  One model may purchase vox caster (+5pts).  New Sgt model (+1 Ballistic Skill, +1 Leadership).

Infantry Platoon:
Platoon Commander: +1 Wound.
Infantry Squads may no longer take Heavy Weapon Teams.  Sgts have lasgun as standard.  May replace it with shotgun/las pistol/bolt pistol/boltgun/plasma pistol.
Heavy Weapon Squads now have the combined squad rule; may join with other HWSs or infantry squads from same platoon
Conscript squads now 10 men minimum.  One may take vox caster (+5pts)

Veterans:  May now take up to 10 additional veterans (+6ts/model).  Squad size 10-20)  Sgt Harker has Scout and Move Through Cover.

Chimera: Increase the SA of all Chimera variant vehicles to 12.

Taurox: Now 35pts, with storm bolter.  May replace storm bolter with Taurox Battle Cannon/Twin-linked Gatling Gun/Missile Launcher.  May take twin-linked autocannon (+20pts)

Sentinels: Strider (+3’’ to Moving, Running and Charging).

Valkyrie: May take Hellfury missiles, and change to Hellstrike missile stats.

Vendetta: May take two punisher cannons instead of twin-linked lascannons.

Leman Russ: Reduce standard tank to 125pts, demolisher to 150pts.

That's everything except the rules for Termite Tunneling Vehicles.  And many new points costs are missing, because I haven't worked them out yet and we still need to do that.  How does all that look so far?  Comment please! :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:10:53 PM by Skitarii Tangi »

Online Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:24 PM »
Sorry for the triple post but I have some Formation ideas to share that I think you'll like.  ;)

I want to look at the Infantry Company idea again, with the following changes:

Formation:

Imperial Shield Infantry Company:

1 CCS
1 Commissar
0-1 Ministorum Priest
3-6 Troop Choices

Restrictions:

The formation must include at least 2 infantry platoons.
The commissar and priest (if purchased) must be attached to a unit from within the formation.

Rules:

If the Company Commander is your Warlord, you may re-roll on IG warlord trait table.

Vox Casters for all units in the formation are free.

Combat Doctrines:  Formation must choose one of the following doctrines:

Mechanized Infantry: All units in the formation that can take a chimera or taurox as a dedicated transport must do so.  These units are free, but must still pay for any upgrades taken from the Vehicle Equipment list.

Grav-Chute Infantry: All units within the formation have the Deep Strike special rule.  No unit within the formation may purchase a dedicated transport.

Line Infantry:  All units within the formation have the Objective Secured special rule.

I'll add more doctrines as they come to me.  But how does this look so far?  I was hoping that the large number of models needed (along with the points cost of this, 405pts minimum, and the loss of Objective Secured for the most part) would balance it out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:13:56 PM by Skitarii Tangi »