News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron tournament mathhammer  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Rene

• Used to be Ghostwriter - back after a long break:)
  • Armies: Tyranid, Eldar, Space Marines, Necron
Necron tournament mathhammer
« on: May 15, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
Hey
Below is a video that looks at how wraiths performed in differents situations from a tournament I just played. I am new to Necrons so for most of you, this is probably well-known, hope you other new robot-fans find it useful :)

Necron Tournament Mathhammer

Offline Idaho

Re: Necron tournament mathhammer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:33:56 AM »
What sort of list do you take the Wraith squad in?

I find they work best with a Destroyer Lord at their head to tank the wounds and cause opponents to throw disproportionate amounts of fire at them.

Charging Terminators is very situational and generally ill advised unless you've weakened them first.

The best advice I can give though is target saturation! Throwing a unit of Wraiths up the table, even with a Destroyer Lord in attendance, will hand the initiative to the opponent as you just stand there and hope they fluff their shooting. I use 2 units of Heavy Destroyers and Ghost Ark Warriors to put pressure on opponents.

Nice reports though. You're playing quality opponents and holding your own so you're clearly a good player!

Offline Rene

• Used to be Ghostwriter - back after a long break:)
  • Armies: Tyranid, Eldar, Space Marines, Necron
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
Thanks for your feedback :)

I fielded them in two groups of five, together with three annihalation barges and 4 Nightscythes with warriors and haywire cryptek, and a single nothing-special-lord.
But looking at how they performed I am actually thinking of getting hold of a destroyer lord or even two. They seem to complement the wraiths really well! My one worry is that destroyer lords donĀ“t allow crypteks, and without the haywire I'll be hard pressed running into multiple landraiders or similar high armor heavy lists. Do you have any experience with this dilemma?

Offline Davinder

• KoN Veteran
  • Is there nothing Gauss technology can't do
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
My one worry is that destroyer lords don't allow crypteks, and without the haywire I'll be hard pressed running into multiple landraiders or similar high armor heavy lists. Do you have any experience with this dilemma?

I tend not to use crypteks, as you can sink alot of points into them in exchange for only a few gimmicks. I do the exactly the same as Idaho, And use X2 units Of 3 Heavy destroyers. With there high strength, low AP weapons and preferred enemy. Vehicles don't tend to last long against them.

With my Wraiths, I lead them with my destroyer lord. Equipped with a SW (so i can soak up some wounds) and MSS, I never leave home without them. Picture this,- The destroyer lord charging into a unit backed up with wraiths, the destroyer lord challenges the IC and makes him 'TWONK' himself, while the wraiths cleans up the rest of the unit. your opponents face when that happens will never get old. :D

Charging generic terminators Isn't a bad Idea. I tend to find that It's the IC and TH/SS terminators that give me trouble, and again I use my heavy destroyers to try and soften up the unit before charging. Remember there high strength will most of the time be double the toughness of what ever your shooting at which will negate any feel no pain.

Hope that helps.