News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: thousand sons with alpha legion  (Read 861 times)

Offline Alpha42

thousand sons with alpha legion
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:03:48 AM »
i am planning on making an alpha legion/ thousand sons army, can anyone give me any advice on how to structure my army? i am new to 40k,(table top) and i just bought my first set, it came with 8 chaos marines, 12 khorne berserkers, 3 chaos speeders, and 1 rhino tank,

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
Re: thousand sons with alpha legion
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:05:11 AM »
speeders?

perhaps bikers?

(no skimmers for us)

anyways you want alpha legion and thousand sons do you? and you got the starter box with 8 marines 1 rhino, 3 bikers and khorne berzerkers? hmmmmm

kk the Alpha legion is pretty strait forward

space marines as elite chosen (infiltrate fluff)

Thousand sons as troops

Sell off the khorne berzerkers gamer wise, or e bay wise and load up on thousand sons, just be able to bear the price tag!

----
what im worried is that your going to end up quitting because your not sure what you want.

the starter box appears to be a clue in it. While it is a good deal, I would only get the starter box because I play with khorne berzerkers, and the space marines and rhino actually help because my berzerkers need a rhino and my space marines are decent anti tank.

you still managed to save a few bucks though (bikers usually end up being 45$)

If you want "thousand sons" youll be spending 40+$ per box for em.

you could try space marines with an icon of tzeentch? or go with majority alpha legion

perhaps

3 chosen alpha legion elite choices
2 alpha legion troop choices
2 thousand son choices

or mix and match!

Just plan ahead! chaos space marine boxes are selling for 35$ now...you could consider looking at the space wolves megaforce. 20 marines, 1 rhino, 3 bikers

tell your opponent they look like wolves because alpha legion IS SCARY!

Offline Alpha42

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:20:58 PM »
ok, so i should jsut by the space wolves mega force and jsut convert them? i can do that,also, what do you mean by elite? is it the type of upgrades or weapons that you can give space marines?

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 02:01:37 AM »
The game has organization

for instance

Your main honcho (HQ)

Your grunts (troops)

Your experienced veterans (elite)

Your big guns (heavy support)

And your fast attackers (fast attack)

Do you have the codex yet? or namely the Big gray rule book?

A space wolves force is ok if you want marines, dont mind bikers, and if you want a rhino.

for a small package why not?

converting may take some switching of heads.

Offline Alpha42

« Reply #4 on: October 1, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »
yes i have both, the codex, and the rule book, how much does a set like that go for?

Offline PaJohnChaos

« Reply #5 on: October 1, 2007, 02:06:14 PM »
well I adore chaos and while ive only been playing a year i have found its well worth the money. you simply need to get a vision for what you want...plan on time and the money for it and have fun.

if you have access to the money then you want to buy what you want. always keep in mind places like e-bay to buy mass troops for cheap. but keep in mind if you have a local store to buy from make sure to give them the business if you can afford it.

at any point, its a great game and as long as you hear the chaos gods you will do well *grins*
What a beloved day for war. Or pie...Pie wars? mmmmm pie

Offline Mark O' Tzeentch

• I dunno press the button and find out....
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2007, 12:54:29 AM »
Chaos is a good army for anyone

and a good idea is to esstablish what renegade faction youre going to do

I am a thousand sonner personnaly (Go tzeentch!!!) if your thinkin that you want take out an army in CC then Khorne or Slaanesh is for you
taking unbelievable damage while giving out just as good or better then you recieve then Tzeentch or Nurgle
"My dad can beat up your dad" "My dads dead" "VICTORY BY DEFAULT"

Follow the link
You know you want to
We have candy
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Legions_Of_The_Warp/index.php?act=idx

Offline Halfpast_Yellow

• ##Don't run! We are your friends!##
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
Sounds like a good concept.

Here is what I would do. Plan out an army now before buying any more models. You don't have to work out all the niggly points costs just broad ones, ie I want to spend ~150 on a predator and have two decent troops choices, probably 300 points each.

Don't go for a certain points limit, just what you like the look of and what you think will make a good combined force of arms.

Heres the rub: Thousand sons are great at shooting, but always poor in combat with just about everything except lone characters. Infiltrating Chosen (representing Alpha Legion) can be tricked out for almost anything, so making them able to hold their own in close combat and using infiltrate as an attention grabber will help your Thousand sons.

Berserkers and Bikes are okay in support. Berserkers are like the complete opposite of Thousand sons, shooting is poor, and they'll clean up most things in combat except perhaps some uber characters. So running them side by side isn't a bad idea at all. And always give them Rhinos.

Bikes are neither here nor there, they can fit into most lists.