News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330677 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #460 on: September 3, 2015, 07:23:17 AM »
@Ibushi- Thanks man! I'm looking forward to that campaign too, but things have stalled for unknown reasons with the players on the other end (as tends to happen). Hopefully we'll get a chance to play but after looking through the missions (IA 12: Fall of Orphius) it looks like a real toughy, with a lot of assymetrical games with the Necrons out numbering the opponents up to a thousand points in the "Legendary Missions". Having been written for the 5th edition Codex the jump in power (though the Crons were deadly even before) makes that very scary especially with those damn formations!
   I agree with you on tourneys, they are great fun. I wish I lived on the West Coast so I could get a chance to play some new forces with set expectations for competitive play.
   As for the Warp Spiders, I love the idea of the wing-stripe! I'm so excited to finish this unit, I just found my huge box of Dark Eldar bits so I gotta go digging through there to finish up the squad. After them its on to count-as Dark Reapers (though I have 15 metal ones which I bought at great expense arggh!)
   Ahhh so  you got the idea from D-Cannon. Yeah that guys a pro and a very nice dude. I love his various Eldar articles I've found scattered across the web. Started seeing his stuff on Frontline Gaming's site. I agree with you on your approach to the Glaive-Knight. You have to be careful with him, I failed a 5-inch charge on Turn 2 against Necrons once and he got killed on my opponents turn. Rules questions: Since the big-man is Jump Gargantuan does he get to re-roll charge distances? If so thats nuts!

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado! I'm glad you like the posing on the Wraithknight. On my next one which I plan on getting for Apocalypse purposes (also fielding a different knight in regular play) I plan on doing some modification for an action style pose. Hopefully it'll look like one Knight is watching the back of the other while he charges forward. Glad you dig the Chaos stuff too. I'm dying to get this army playable… I'm seeing  a Bloodthirster and perhaps a Mauler Fiend in the future…

@Grizzlykin- Thanks bud. As for playable force, a 1000-1500 pts is certainly playable and what I'm shooting for with my Chaos and Dark Angels. Yet for my Eldar, I've never really like 1000 point games, but thats only because I've never had the models to make a cohesive force at a 1000 points. The way I collected my Eldar (initially) was all based around an 1850 concept, with big expensive units like my Hornets, Avengers in Wave Serpents et. al. Only recently have I fleshed out my collection to include Scorpions, Fire Dragons etc. So its something I'd love to try again.
   But more to your queston for me 1250 is the sweet spot for a solid beginning. But I've heard 500pt games can be great fun, and Kill-Team is cool too. As soon as I'm up to a 1000 points I'm sure I'm gonna play them though.

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. I'm glad you've enjoyed my project. Your modelling and paint jobs have really made me want to increase my abilities. You've done a ton of stuff both painting (incredible blending) and modelling (insane alterations on the Wraithknight) that have made we want to a bit more ambitious in my hobby stuff. Thanks as always!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #461 on: September 3, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »
yes he does >< since you are not using the jump move to move, you can reroll on assault, that's freaking op if you ask me ><

Hey bro mauler fiend are just so fun, i play vs a guy's that play chaos some time and everytime his mauler fiend is on the table I fear... that things can melt you however he want, it's pretty frustrating. yet the fun things is one brihglance and the tings immobilize he can't do anything anymore :D . It feels a bit double edge sword to me.

well indeed 1250 is a fun lvl, with eldar it really feels of for that i agree with you. I was able to enjoy my games way more when i had more things on the table. You need to have variety on the table with eldar to do something, and that's surely not something you get from 1250, i never felt right at that point level.

Looking forward to whats next from you ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
@Grizz- Thanks man! Definitely looking forward to both painting and collecting a Chaos army. The Daemon Engines are a big draw, and something I really want to do something special with in the modelling department. Stay tuned!

@Everyone- Hey guys! Been a few days since I've updated and I've got some new stuff for you. First up I had a big 2000pt game with my brother's very hardcore IG army and whew, what a game! First up I lost! My brother played very well and I lost focus about half-way through the game and paid for it big time. Some glaring holes in my list building process were very much highlighted, that being that I've never replaced my Wraithguard after removing them when the new Codex dropped. Why I'm not sure, perhaps lack of armor in my opponents armies, over reliance on the Wraithknight or just eagerness to get new units into the mix. Needless to say that oversight will not happen again especially when facing my brother's army.

I was going to do a mini battle-report but the photos turned out really bad. We played in the garage in poor lighting, and while the photos looked good on my phone they looked awful when I transferred them to my computer.

But in summation my brother played really well even after ICE COLD dice in the beginning, and with the game in my favor I lost focus and he capitalized by sticking to the mission and maintaining his target priority which I did not.

However I will have a very special battle-report for you guys soon, because I'm playing against a pure SLAANESH army tomorrow morning! I can't wait! My opponent told me he was bringing a very non-competitive army, even asked me to go easy on my list design to which I was very happy to do. However a few days later I asked him spur of the moment if he was bringing a bunch of winged Daemon Princes just to make sure I had some AA, and he told me to expect them. So I'm planning on a bit more competitive game than I had originally planned so to that end I kicked off some furious painting and modelling to get not only my Eldar Aegis Defense Line from Microart studios painted and assembled, but also a converted quad-gun which I'm very happy about! They have only been given basic paint jobs at this point but they are tabletop ready and ready for action.

Also I added a squad leader (Exarch) to my Corsair Dragons and I'm very happy with the visual impact its had on the squad.

Work Continues on my Spiders as well:

And I even converted up a new Klaivex... or perhaps I'll run him as a Corsair Prince. Even added a grenade to him for that purpose.

So its been a very busy hobby week, and hopefully I'll have a good time tomorrow as the reward for all the hard work. Anyway guys, stay tuned more to come as always, and hopefully I'll have some great new photos for the ultimate Eldar grude-match bat-rep vs. Slaanesh. Stay tuned!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #463 on: September 13, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
This all looks very promising. I like the starcannon-conversion for the aegis, and your corsair dragon exarch looks stunning. I do think he'll liven up the squad quite a bit!

Also, that last ktbash looks amazing. Can't wait to see it painted!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #464 on: September 14, 2015, 09:55:55 PM »
Great stuff man, loving it!

Really looking forward to a quality batrep vs. the Great Enemy, and for a finished squad of those spiders!

Keep up the great work!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #465 on: September 16, 2015, 07:29:08 AM »
@Vonny- Thanks Vonny glad you like the new stuff. Yes I agree with you the Exarch gives the squad some presence. Really happy you like the final pic of the new foot-Autarch. Very simple but it looked so good when I did it I really just had to go for it. Gonna putty up those spirit stones so they aren't cracked and get some paint on this guy.

@Ibushi- Thanks Ibushi! I'm really dying to get those Spiders finished. I'm thinking of featuring a sort of deep-striked themed list with Spiders, Hawks, WWP Dragons which'll represent my Aspect Host. More notes below!

@Everyone- Well sorry guys for the wait on the bat-rep, but my opponent pulled a no-show, no-call and left me high and dry. He had some sorry excuse about 5 hours later but needless to say I was very disappointed. People have no respect for others time nowadays. However I've got a big 2000pt game coming up this weekend against my buddy Chris' fully painted Soul Drinkers which is always a fun game, and easy to take good pix of so definitely count on a bat-rep sunday, monday or thereabouts.

Also after a LONG wait, my latest Corsair conversion kit which I got for super cheap on ebay finally shipped. With that in-hand I'll be able to finish my Spiders and add a couple of models to various squads. Dark Reapers will be the next kitbash and perhaps the last for awhile because afterwards I'm going to move on to getting my hands on the Crimson Death.

After that I'm going to take a little break from adding to my Eldar collection (though not taking a break from playing it) and work on my other fledgling armies Dark Angels and Chaos. With Dark Angels stuff coming out from FW I'm going to have a good guide towards painting up pre-Heresy DA which is the theme for my army.

But don't worry the Eldar love-fest wont be ending anytime soon. After failing to get a campaign off the ground with the other folks at my FLGS my brother and I are just going to play one ourselves. I know I've said that in the past, but after our last game my brother has been very enthusiastic about doing it. I think by adding his Imperial Knight and just being a bit more familiar with the game (a very nice victory also helps) he feels like he is on even footing with me as far as army power goes and very much wants to play and get better.

So hold on just a bit longer and I'll have a nice new bat-rep for you and some more hobby stuff as I finish up my Fire Dragons, paint my Dragon Exarch and convert up another gun for my Eldar Aegis. Stay-tuned!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #466 on: September 17, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »
Always tuned in, love looking at all the time and crafting you spend on your builds. And the paint speaks for itself as always.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2015, 02:37:04 PM »
@Dread- Thanks man. Always appreciate your input. Can't wait to show you some of the new stuff I'm working on I think you are going to like it!

Hey guys! Back with another bat-rep… sort of. I've been having real bad luck with getting these games in lately. My opponent had to bail after 3 turns because his son, who had come along, puked at the beginning of turn 3! Felt bad for the young guy he really looked bad.

Anyway it was still very interesting and despite not finishing the game its represented the final push for me to run a far more powerful list and really has helped me realize the very important elements I've lost in my lists since the new codex came out.

So to begin with my opponent Chris and I have always played very casual games. He has a very casual approach to the game in general bringing whatever he feels like because he thinks its cool. However its led to him losing a lot of games and probably bumming him out in the process. Well he pow-wowed with the other competitive players at the store prior to our game and brought a very tough list, one which I was not prepared for.

My Opponents Force

So to begin with we played 2000pt game and he brought Battle Company, with 8 lascannon razorbacks, filled with 5 man squads all with meltas, two three man bike squads, one with Khan, the other with a Chaplain kitted out with grav, Thunderfire Cannon with 2 Techmarines, the Librarius Formation attached to two devastor squads (both of which rolled perfect timing/ignore cover) and the vindicator formation for good measure with its enormous apocalyptic str 10 ignore cover blast. This is a far cry from anything I've faced from Chris. I have no problem with the army he brought at all, and was happy to see him bring something firmly planted in the realm of competitive because Chris is one of my favorite opponents and a friend, and its no fun seeing a guy all downcast after a game.

I strongly suspect he won't be turning his back on this approach to the game anytime soon, because he was finally getting the results that had so long eluded him.

My List

My list was pretty straight forward, light on the cheese and just designed to showcase some new units and options such as the Aegis Defense Line, my Fire Dragons, and to continue to experiment with the Wraithblades and Spirit Seer. Boy was this list in trouble though against all that armor, 8 twin-linked lascannons, 8 ignore cover missile launchers and 3 Demolisher cannons His list was truly designed to take away my strengths and force me into the defensive roll which does not suit the Eldar at all. I knew I would be up against it this weekend but I gave it my best.

Autarch: Banshee Mask, Firesabre
Spirit Seer
Wraithblades x5
Fire Dragons x5- Exarch, Fire Pike
   Wave Serpent: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Avengers x9
   Wave Serpents: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Avengers x9
   Wave Serpents: Scatter Lasers, Shuriken Cannons
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers
Nightwing
Dark Reapers x9- Exarch
Aegis Defense Line- Icarus Lascannon
Wraithknight

The Game:

We were playing The Scouring, Vanguard Assault deployment. My opponent deployed first and went first. He left nothing in reserves while I left quite a bit: The Hornets, the Wraithknight (all those lascannons+ ignore cover devastors plus the Vindicators) and of course the Nightwing.

Space Marines Turn 1
   Everything moved up, the Razorbacks focusing on the Wave Serpents stripping a few HP's. A barrage of missile killed 3 of my Dark Reapers which meant losing anymore would be very deadly. While the rest of his army unloaded on the exposed Icarus Lascannon which I forgot could count for first blood, which he ended up killing. At least I didn't have any flyers I was up against otherwise it would have hurt even more. At first glance it wasn't too bad for me, but having two of the Wave Serpents each lose a hull point, give up first blood and losing numbers on the Reapers was certainly not good.

Eldar Turn 1
   This was a very defensive turn, the goal being to survive until my reserves show up, and prevent anything from getting into my lines, namely the bikes. So brought my Serpents and Reapers just within range of the bikes, keeping them out of range as much as possible from the Vindicator squadron and unloaded on the bikes. I did well, wiping both out killing the Chaplain, and a bunch of Grav and the Warlord. Else where I shuffled the Wraithblades and the Fire Dragons in their Wave Serpent off towards a pair of Razorbacks flanking towards me. I was happy with this turn. Rebounded nicely from the blunder with the Icarus, and exposed only two vehicles to the Vindicators with their apocalyptic blast which hopefully I could jink or at the least downgrade damage with my Serpent shields. I didn't like exposing them like that but I had to stop those bikes and either way they were going to take shots from all those lascannon platforms. Anyway the die had been cast.

Space Marines Turn 2
   The Space Marines layed the hammer down this turn. I failed every jink and 4 out of 5 Serpent shield saves and all my Serpents went up in smoke! Disaster, red ruin! The dice just were not with me this turn, but even so weight of fire was incredibley stacked against me. 400 free points of armor felt like 400 tons of pressure and without my Wave Serpents I was in trouble. The Avengers took some damage as well from the Thunderfire, but some good saves and poor scatter rolls saved me. This turn really hurt and I could feel just how fine tuned this list was to deal with my army.

Eldar Turn 2
   Luckily everything arrived. The Wraithknight, Hornets, Nightwing all show up. The Avengers run forward to the Aegis line, the Wraithknigh hugs cover but has a clear angle on the Vindicator formation which must be stopped if I'm to survive. The Nightwing angles on the Vindicators as well, while the Hornets attempt to deal with some of the Razorbacks. Meanwhile The Fire Dragons, and Wraithblades all advance on the pair of Razorbacks flanking me. So the Wraithknight and Nightwing manage to destroy 1 of the Vindicators and put 2 hull points on the others. The Fire Dragons wreck one of the Razorbacks and the Wraithblades charge the contents and destroy them completley. The Hornets destroy a single Razorback, while the Reapers and Avengers fail to do anything. My list just doesn't have enough punch to effectivley beat back this huge wall of Space Marine armor. The game is going poorly for me and I'm beginning to realize the important game winning unit combinations that I've shelved in an effort to keep things casual.

Space Marines Turn 3
   At this point Chris' son is feeling real crappy so we decide we're gonna call it after this turn. Everything unloads onto the Wraithknight but only cause a pair of wounds! Bad rolls on his part, good rolls on mine and tons of lascannon fire either bounces off, or is ignored due to Feel No Pain. The Avengers, and the Reapers take a ton of fire and a big chunk from both Avengers squads falls dead while the Reapers get lucky and take no damage. Scattered fire from various units fells only one of the (non-jinking) Hornets, but my Nightwing which also didn't jink gets destroyed by a twin-linked Lascannon. The Nightwing represented an integral element to me getting back into the game and its loss was sorely felt. Other than that the Fire Dragons and the Wraithguard go unharmed. I've got a fighters chance but its looking grim.

Eldar Turn 3 -End of the Game-
   So I went all out in this turn. The Wraithknight stepped up and whiffed with both his cannons, the Fire Dragons wrecked another vehicle. The Hornet caused a couple hullpoints, the Reapers failed to do anything and the Wraithblades ate up another 5 man unit. With that we call it because his son actually puked in the middle of this turn.

Concluding Thoughts
   So my first experience against the Battle Company and Librarius formation was an eye-opener. Anyone who says that the free points given to the Battle Company are in anyway comparable to Scarab farms, Tervigon breeding, or even Summoning are way off in my estimation. It makes a huge impact on the game, and my experimental list was just not up to the challenge. The sheer volume of twin-linked lascannons, ignore cover missile launchers, with the apocalyptic Vindicator blast forced me to keep my Wraithknight in reserves because even with good cover he could have very easily been eliminated turn 1.  Even with the very good anti-tank options I just didn't have the firepower to chew through 12 tanks.
   The big take away was that my store has become very competitive. Now this isn't a problem for me. I'd rather everyone play a good competitive list with no expectations for quarter being given in the list building deparment. I've been very gun shy since the new Eldar dex has dropped, not wanting people to ostracize me for playing Eldar and winning as much as I have. Yet in doing so I realized I've dropped probably the biggest hammer unit in my army: that being my Webway Portal Archon bomb. The incredible impact of being able to deepstrike an incredibley potent unit into the heart of my opponent and essentially erasing a unit of my choosing was a huge component of the incredible run of wins I have had. Removing it has led to me going roughly even in the wins and losses in the past month or so. Part of this is due to the limitations I have in my collection. I simply do not have unit options to fill the gap given the units I currently own. This however is going to change. I'm going to put a huge emphasis on restoring that power Deepstrike element of my army with not only the return of my Dark Eldar allies, but also some other very powerful units as well.
   I'm going to put a greater emphasis on high volume of anti-tank fire, deepstrike ability and forcing bad matchups through unit combinations. Playing repeatedly against Necron Decurions with double Canoptek Harvests, Space Wolf Thunder-Cav Stars, my brothers incredibely tough IG list and now the Space Marine Battle Company all one after the other really compelled me to get back to that winning formula I had, my opponent whining and crying about Eldar cheese be-damned (thats a sarcastic joke)!
   All that being I wont be getting away from keeping a hardcore close-combat block in my army, so expect a hybrid of my 6th ed. and 7th ed. lists.

Hobby Stuff

So after about 2 weeks of waiting my Corsair conversion kit finally shipped and should be here soon. In the meantime I finished my other Warp Spider in anticipation of his squad mates arriving soon. I'm dying to get this unit on the battlefield along with the other units and formations I intend to run.

So anyway guys get ready for an Eldar tour-de-force as I re-tool my army for vengeance! Get ready for more bat-reps and a flurry of hobby stuff as I put the final touches on my Eldar mk.3 list concept and get ready to move beyond to new armies in the months to come. Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:40:25 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2015, 06:06:31 PM »
Well that sjrely was a good battle report for how short it was:) I like the game you play against that marines player because your army together really look out-standing.

Well that said you did what you could with what you had, let me suggest you one change that could make a big difference in your army without changing too many things, drop some of the reaper for some warp spyder. You know i'm saying that because you have some getting ready in the pipe :D. That said they are freakin good at getting rear armor, even more with such a big space table you can deepstrike them pretty easily, without fearing mischaft too much. And with the monofilament rules plus there huge mobility modt of the time yoj can pinpoint wich unit you want to take out and they will do the job. Their are horrifyingly efficient at killing carnyflex for example. Or most monstruous creature because those often have low init for hi toughness wich is good for spyder. Necron are in similar situation if i'm not mistaken.

Looking forward to see were you will be tooking this list none the less.

Keeo up the good work ^^
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:18:52 PM by Grizzlykin »
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #469 on: September 22, 2015, 02:55:26 PM »
Thanks Grizz. Yes Spiders are a part of the formula going forward. I've rummaged through the bits bins found two more Corsair heads and a pair of Guardian torsos and modeled up two more, so I'll already have 4 finished by the time my next conversion kit arrives.

As for the Reapers I was really just playing around with stuff. Wanted to give the Aegis/AA gun a whirl and of course drew a no flyer list, first time out.  ::) Needless to say they wont be appearing again (at least with the Aegis) unless I've got a good idea of what I'm up against.

Thanks as always for your comments, and looking forward to some updates to your own projects!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #470 on: September 23, 2015, 01:33:45 AM »
On the one hand it's nice that you don't have to worry about pulling your punches man, but on the other it's kind of a rude awakening Cav!

Looking forward to seeing how you up the power in future batreps! RIght now I am thinking about how to stay on the top tables while mixing up my regular crew -- this weekend will be an interesting experiment.

On the Dark Reapers, you took a freakin' massive squad, definitely would depend on opponent for that. But regardless of who I play, a team of 4 incl. Exarch is always in my A-team. Not so much for actually shooting flyers as threatening them, but 100% for shooting rhinos, bikes, Eldar, and that kind of thing, with a vengeance. That huge range they have is hard to come by in the Eldar dex, I love it.

But yeah, massive AT potential is going to be big, and on top of that it needs to be spread out across smaller units, as often you are shooting 4-5 rhinos or something. One big AT element just doesn't cut it these days.

Keep up the reports, good luck finding games!

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #471 on: September 23, 2015, 07:28:45 AM »
@Ibushi- Hey Ibushi. Yeah it was a rude awakening... especially in the list tailoring department. Hailing back to the old school (2nd ed) list tailoring was the height of 40k offenses but at the store I've been playing at for the past 2 years, at least with the handful of guys I play with they've openly admitted to list tailoring to me. In particular one player who straight up said "Yeah I love playing Eldar. Its easy when you list tailor against them." I was shocked! But hey I chalked it up to myself being out of touch with what passes for normal in the pickup scene these days. So I guess its something I need to implement a bit though it feels weird doing so.

The inclusion of that huge squad of Reapers was actually me foraying into that a bit. My opponent has brought the 3 flyer Space Marine formation and tons of bikes every time we played, and I wanted to see how the Reaper Exarch would do against that big flyer formation (Stormraven in particular). Admittedly it was total overkill but I wanted to just bring something a bit weird and fun but I think its safe to say those freewheeling days are over!

I'll be sure to keep up the reports, and I've already got some games scheduled. I'll be chatting in the Eldar board to try and solicit opinions and tactics from you and the rest of the group about unit use, as some of the new units I've got I've never used even going back to 7th ed... Warp Spiders in particular.

Anyway thanks for your input Ibushi always interesting and thoughtful comments, I appreciate it!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #472 on: September 23, 2015, 09:46:11 AM »
if you go for a pick-up game in the store against one of those list tailorers again, I'd just say "yes, I'll probably bring my eldar". And then bring either your brother's guard or your CSM army or something else. See how that works out for them.
Also, be sure to put on your most innocent expression when you claim "I always build my list as an all-comers list" and to stress the fact that you'd said you'd 'probably' bring your eldar if they press you on that.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #473 on: September 23, 2015, 11:47:48 AM »
Haha yeah I am not a fan of list tailoring as a rule, but it does happen.

But Cav I would strongly not recommend shooting storm ravens with dark reapers unless you have to. My fire dragons have killed many more flyers than my dark reapers, by a long shot! Because they only need that one shot to get through. That's also partly why I switched my night wing for a hemlock -- usually need more ground punch against tanks and knights than air punch in my experience.

Look forward to chatting more! Warp spiders are the absolute bomb, the epitome of eldar trickery and power. Been in a committed relationship with mine for several codices now, since back when you would lose one on any double.

Cheers

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #474 on: September 24, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
@Ibushi- Yeah I was only going to use the Reaper Exarch on the Aegis using interceptor on the Icarus during my opponents turn, and then switch back to mowing down bikes (or marines) with his reaper launcher during my turn. That'd be some rookie business otherwise lol  ;D ;D ;D I do wish I could get Skyfire EML's on those boys, damn that'd be awesome!

About the Spiders, looking forward to exploring squad size, number of units with all you guys. I should have about 15 of them when my conversion kit arrives. Not going to rock 3 units of them but contemplating 2 and trying to squeak out a Aspect Host.

BTW do you have any pics of your army uploaded? I'd love to see what you're rocking. There was a guy on BoLS who used to post a lot of articles and he had a phenomenal Crone World Eldar army. Anyway thanks Ibushi!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #475 on: September 24, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
Oh right, I see what you mean with the Icarus, yes that is a legit strategy.

One of the big things with the effectiveness of my Reapers is the hide & seek strategy though, which aegis or even void shield is not very good for -- basically I always start my reapers in a falcon or wave serpent, even if i have first turn, then it is very difficult for your opponent to know which fire lane they are going to drop onto. First turn, you jump the skimmer up a level of a ruin or something, and put the reapers in some sneaky position to get shots on some key targets. Likewise against bikers, often they can nullify reapers through good movement, getting around terrain and whatnot. So you use the Falcon to re-position that extra 6" and get LOS back on them. Works like a charm!

Whenever I start them on the board just chilling, they often get punked really quick, or charged by Stormhammer marines, or just out-maneuvered. Not all the time, but often.

On the Warp Spider side of things, I have been a dedicated single unit player, and 8 seems to be the magic number. A lot of people deep strike them for disruption or assassination missions, but almost every time I will start them on the board and just wait until I roll a really high warp jump to get them across the table. Often your opponent will pull some sneaky shenanigans like using a veil of darkness, or get more aggressive with drop pods or something, and having them on the table T1 has been great pretty much every time for me. Besides, you deploy them in an exposed fashion to bait an attack, then use flickerjump to bounce right away which is useful.

These days I am very strongly contemplating a unit of 8 starting on the table, coupled with a unit of 6-8 deep striking for disruption purposes, they are just so good. But I havent made the models or committed to that yet.

The most recent pictures are those horrible smart phone pictures I have from the Wet Coast GT in early July, there is a thread about those batreps on here somewhere. I remember the croneworld army you are talking about, that was pretty neat -- daemonette bits to the nines! One of the great things about GW kits these days is how easy they are to kitbash, but my croneworld nasties are from before that time, so the robes, pants, armour etc. are all green stuff. This weekend I'll try and get some more pictures with a decent camera of the space ninjas in action! Played a test game yesterday and got stomped as I was expecting, but learned a few key things, so watch out!

In terms of competitive play though, it sounds like you are quite concerned by Flyers, and to be honest my strategy against them is mostly to just ignore them. Against a flyer-heavy army, I'm content to take out their scoring units, let my army take gradual casualties, and just win on objectives. Against FMC spam, they have to land to get objectives, so punch them out when that happens. The main trick is to win the movement phase against flyers, to block off their options and avoid their attacks as much as you need to, then just ignore.

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #476 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
@Ibushi- About the reapers- yes! I love the idea of them in Wave Serpents, or better yet a Falcon to lend more high range, high strength firepower. Was going to do that for them, but had to put Dragons in there instead and count on LOS blocking terrain to save them otherwise.

I was thinking of 2 units of 8 as well. I always rock an Autarch so they'll be coming on very reliably out of reserves and I figure I can walk them on or deepstrike when playing against an Alpha-Strike army. Yet if I can start them on the board I will.

I'm very excited for this new build...  its going to be ULTRA fast, at 2000pts Reavers will be added to the mix making for probably the fastest Eldar build you can make. When I've got all this finished I'm going to be DYING for an Apocalypse game. I gotta talk to my friend Chris about possibly rocking that at some point.

Yes please do take some pics of your army, when I read your bat-reps I'm really wanting to see some pics.

Anyway thanks Ibushi very informative stuff!

@Everyone- Not sure if you guys saw the rumors of the NEW CORSAIRS UPDATE from FW!? Corsair Prince's on Jetbikes with access to EVERY artifact from Eldar, Dark Eldar and Harlies!? Rending, Skyfire, Ignore Jink Eldar Firestorm? Corsair Jetbikes with Splintercannons (and new models to boot!)? Holy crap! Needless to say I'm very excited about these rumors and if they are points efficient I WILL be including them as allies. Anyway guys stay tuned for a hobby bonanza, my Corsair kit arrived yesterday and I'm ready to go to work... stay tuned!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #477 on: September 25, 2015, 12:31:48 PM »
Sounds great Cav, looking forward to seeing that new list!

I am very hesitant to speak of the Corsair update, because it is too exciting and we just need to wait and see... *holds breath*.

Just a couple of weeks ago I emailed FW about Bel'Annath, and they told me to just play him with friends at the moment, but just wait a bit longer for their update. Pretty stoked!

Hopefully it will help with my choppy eldar build I'm working on! Had a practice game and am going to have a few more today with those guys.

Cheers

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #478 on: October 3, 2015, 12:40:49 PM »
@Ibushi- I know its hard not to get excited about the FW rules, but they seldom let me down in both missions and rules!

@Everyone- Whats up gang? Got some updates for you albeit small ones. So my Warp Spiders are rolling along. Had some problems with my ebay orders preventing me from getting all my bits at the same time but it should soon be remedied.

So the squads almost legal here ya go!

As Ibushi (clever as always) noticed I had done an update a few days ago but the pictures were crap! So I deleted the post a re-took the photos. For whatever reason I have a hard time capturing the 3rd stage highlights on camera which is frustrating so I made sure I set things up as good as I could and took the photo.

Really happy with how these guys look, and I can't wait to convert up the Exarch! He's gonna look really cool (hopefully) with his powerblades well represented.

Also involved in my bits order mixup I ended up inadvertently getting my hands on some Hellion bodies which I'm going to use to finish up my counts-as Talos unit. I really like Talos rules wise and the models I made look cool to so get ready for that to be featured on the p-log. With their inclusion my Dark Eldar allies are a legit army unto themselves, which I'm happy about.

Anyway guys stay tuned more updates ahead!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
« Reply #479 on: October 5, 2015, 05:54:19 AM »
I think they look stunning and can't wait for your exarch!