News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Harlequin wraithlord fluff  (Read 11973 times)

Offline Yyseth

• Torn from divinity by association
Harlequin wraithlord fluff
« on: November 8, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »
I have a question, I can't seem to find an answer within previous topics but if people can link me to one which already exists it would be much appreciated.

My question is: if harlequins don't need to worry about their souls going into stones to protect them how do they get wraithlords? I figured maybe cause mimes haven't undergone those trials yet it would work but aren't wraithlords supposed to be great heroes not basegrade troops?
Or do they have some sort of loan system with the craftworlds, like a system of "you can borrow our venom if we get to use that wraithlord and paint it pink and lime green!" perhaps?
"Defeat is unspoken, a grim propaganda, the essence of war is victory itself."

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Harlequin wraithlord fluff
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2007, 01:03:09 PM »
The removal of the soulstones are a fairly new revision ot hte Harlequins, as far as their fluff goes. The Harlequin Wraithlord predates that change by a lot, and even though the fluff has changed, the Wraithlord remains.

It is possible, if you want to rationalise it in some way, that a dying Harlequin may be taken to the Black Library and chose to have his/her soul stored to be placed in a Wraithlord (unless it is a Solitaire, who never ever wore them).

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Yyseth

« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2007, 01:09:15 PM »
That would make sense.
This seems to be a classic example of GW shooting first an asking questions later. Not unlike the High Elf Eltharion story they recently had to erase from WHFB history to shoehorn some new storyline in...
I've been reading up on something which may be of some use actually, the original wraithlords had pilots as they were standard dreadnoughts. I assume these went on to become war-walkers but something tells me these might be something else entirely as war walkers can't use CC weapons... I reckon it might be something along the lines of a Harlequin dreadnought, piloted by a death jester one would assume, using the neural link.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
Dreadnoughts were more heavily armoured warwalkers, originally. Teh Wraithlord-concept came out of the old Spiritwalker, which was one of two models; Ghostwarrior (now Wraithguard) or Spiritwalker (now Wraithlord). Revisions has changed the names around, but they came from there.
The Harlequin Dreadnought, however, was introduced at a time when the Dreadnought was essentially a wraithlrod allready, controlled by a stone, not a pilot.

Offline Ian Wood

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
The Harlequin Dreadnought, however, was introduced at a time when the Dreadnought was essentially a wraithlrod allready, controlled by a stone, not a pilot.

Actually, I'm going to disagree with that.  :)

There's a Harlequin Dreadnought clearly visible in one of Jes Goodwin's illustrations in the original army list in WD106.
My one dates from around 1989 (note that the scimitars used to be much longer):

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:53:58 PM »
Yes, true indeed, but then as a Salvaged Eldar Vechile. It was not a Harlequin unti as such. The same illustration also features a Salvaged Landraider tank, fitted with holofield and banners, and crewed by Harlequins. :)

The Harlequins' very own walker was not introduced until 1994 or 1995, in CJ 17 as I recall.

Offline Yyseth

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:03:13 PM »
Aha! Thanks for that Ian Wood, so the Harlies could indeed pilot dreadnoughts which have the same stats as a wraithlord. That sounds like a very fun thing, and in theory could be grounds for including one in a realistic army list should there ever be one (which seems unlikely but you never know).

I like the idea of a new-style Harlie dreadnought! Who could ever reasonably say that wouldn't be cool?!

And salvaged or not it was still a vehicle they used and I have a feeling that's where they would have got them from anyway.

Offline Ian Wood

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 02:09:06 PM »
Yes, true indeed, but then as a Salvaged Eldar Vechile. It was not a Harlequin unti as such.

As far as I'm concerned, if it was painted up in Harlequin colours and it was being used by Harlequins, it was a Harlequin unit. An issue or so later when the Harlequin Jetbike was introduced it said something about other Eldar sometimes supplying the Harlequins specially with equipment (which was why the Jetbike didn't break down as often), so it's not automatically 'salvaged'.

The same illustration also features a Salvaged Landraider tank, fitted with holofield and banners, and crewed by Harlequins. :)

Like this?  ;D

Offline Full Metal Geneticist

• Sir Quotesaplenty | No new bastardy suits.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Defender of the Text Wall
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 02:34:45 PM »
The harlequins seem to command respect from the DE, CWE and Exodite populations. Probably due to a combination of combat prowess and/or their abilities to avoid the "thirst" and the "path system" to protect their souls.

So getting a mechanic would'nt me that tough for the average harlie should he choose to acquire a jetbike.

The wraithlord I see as having joined the group after its death.

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 05:20:39 AM »
Aha! Thanks for that Ian Wood, so the Harlies could indeed pilot dreadnoughts which have the same stats as a wraithlord. That sounds like a very fun thing, and in theory could be grounds for including one in a realistic army list should there ever be one (which seems unlikely but you never know).
   That is what the original Harlequin Dreadnought was, along with a psycannon on its back. It was very cool. Alas, the dodo is its only companion now.

Yes, true indeed, but then as a Salvaged Eldar Vechile. It was not a Harlequin unti as such.

As far as I'm concerned, if it was painted up in Harlequin colours and it was being used by Harlequins, it was a Harlequin unit. An issue or so later when the Harlequin Jetbike was introduced it said something about other Eldar sometimes supplying the Harlequins specially with equipment (which was why the Jetbike didn't break down as often), so it's not automatically 'salvaged'.
   There was a distinct line drawn between them in the original list. A Harlequin unit used the Harlequin rules and they were pretty much infantry and bikes at that stage. The Salvaged units used their own special rules (Machine-spirit and what have you) along with holofields, and when they broken down they were abandoned, not repaired.
   The introduction of the Harlequin Dreadnought was later, and was an entirely different critter alltogether.

The harlequins seem to command respect from the DE, CWE and Exodite populations. Probably due to a combination of combat prowess and/or their abilities to avoid the "thirst" and the "path system" to protect their souls.

So getting a mechanic would'nt me that tough for the average harlie should he choose to acquire a jetbike.
  Not quite how it works. The other Eldar sects shun the Harlequins, fear and shy away from them. They are culturally obligated to respect them, and they are in awe of them, as they sacrifice a lot more than anyone else. But noone likes them, other than as a terrifying curiosity. You are glad when they arrive to perform the Dance, but you are truly happy when they leave, for they are deeply unsettling, even to the sinister Dark Eldar. Much like hungry tigers - you like to look at them, but only if there is 100 feet of space and two fences between you. Anything closer and you start to shake quite a bit.

• Lazerous Penguin
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 05:31:39 AM »
Respect is still respect. If the DE who are to be fair coked up lunatics with a penchance for BDSM and unnecessary spikes are scared/respectful of these guys, its a pretty fair bet that they command some kind of respectful power. A wraithlord who has been asked to "join them" would'nt be out of the question.

It is pernicious nonsense that feeds into a rising wave of irrationality which threatens to overwhelm the hard-won gains of the Enlightenment and the scientific method. We risk as a society slipping back into a state of magical thinking when made-up science passes for rational discourse. I would compare it to witchcraft but honestly that's insulting to witches.

Offline Yyseth

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »
It's just a matter of whether they would get away with painting the wraithlord green? After all, the spirit is meant to be returned to the craftworld...
I guess that could be it actually. They have their own wraithlord shells but they get pilots from the ranks of the CWE dead. Probably from Iyanden since they've got a few spare...

Oh and additionally, I found this in another thread:

I always read it as only sometimes, which is not often, that Cegorach is able to trick Slaanesh out of the Solitaire's soul.  Which I find terrifying...to think you know your soul will be the play thing of a dark and tortuous Chaos God...the Tragedy that is the Eldar race.  In my Eldar Warhost, I field one Wraithlord (so far...)  I want it to represent the soul of a Solitaire, in a tug-of-war between The Laughing God and Slaanesh, was able to be saved by a council of Farseers and Bonesingers of great age and skill.  Her soul was placed immediately in the nearest Wraithlord construct to save it and the Infinity Circuit from undue attention from She Who Thrists.  The Solitaire lives to fight on again, protecting both the Craftworld that saved her and the Harlequin Troupe she had come to know at the time of her death.

So it's possible that the soul of a Solitaire gets saved. Quite possibly it wouldn't be good to go to Cegorach after all that damnation. Maybe to be placed into a spirit stone and allowed to fight would be the answer. Just a possibility.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 07:06:08 AM by Yyseth »

• Lazerous Penguin
    • FMG's Angry Rantings
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 08:20:02 AM »
Nope. As in the solitare's fluff indicates that in exchange for "losing his soul" he gains a lot of power... As evidenced by the close combat monster that he is. Its a "spawn kind of deal" you give up your mortal soul for power that you use for fighting evil. However the solitare has a chance that the Laughing God can decieve slaanesh at the moment of the solitare's death allowing the soul to either join his own or "dissipitate" rather than be consumed. It was added to explain their "phenomenal" powers and to differentiate them from the rest of the Harlies as something even they feel uneasy around. The solitare's main skill is hiding in populations occasionally joining a Masque  or in combat. They are also rumoured to be the gaurdians of the black library, their soul less ability allowing them to stay within the webway without suffering the problems that the DE face.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 11:40:21 AM »
If Cegorach wins the soul he keeps it. He does not give it up for a stone/circuit/reincarnation. It is his follower, and his prize for the fight.