News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000p (semi-mechanized) Brigade idea, what craftworld should I choose?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
I've ran a similar list in a tournament recently, but have done some tweaks that may improve it, but I'm not sure if I want to stay Ulthwé or go for something else, thoughts?

Autarch skyrunner (Warlord: Fate reader) 112p
-Banshee mask, laser lance, avenger shuriken catapult, twin shuriken catapults.
Farseer 100p [doom, executioner]
Spiritseer 45p [quicken/restrain]
-Ghosthelm of alishazier.

5x Dire Avengers 64p
-Exarch with dual catapults.
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Rangers 60p
5x Rangers 60p

5x Fire Dragons 123p
-Exarch with firepike.
5x Howling Banshees 68p
-Exarch with executioner.
5x Striking Scorpions 82p
-Exarch with claw.

5x Swooping Hawks 65p
-Exarch.
5x Swooping Hawks 65p
-Exarch.
3x Shining Spears 95p
-Exarch with starlance.

3x Falcon 450p
-Brightlances.

3x Wave Serpent 429p
-2+1 shuriken cannons.

2000p

The idea is to embark one elite unit with Avengers in each serpent and the remaining troop units in the falcons. If I'm fine with going second the rangers can of course deploy with their infiltrate. Psykers will embark wherever a buff is most required.
The shining spears can be webway'ed in if needs be, just as the hawks will descend from the skies.

I'm not sold on the Autarch layout but if I stay Ulthwé he needs his bike as his CP recycling requires him to be on the table anyway.

In the tournament I faced both an AM parking lot and deathguard zombies and had trouble with both anti-tank and too much infantry turning undead.
So I removed the 3 war walkers (all BL) and 5 dark reapers(tempest) for falcons, which should at least make 2 out of 3 issues better solved; less infantry to chew into and fewer drops to get first turn easier. Third issue was anti-tank but maybe 3 falcons is better than what I removed?
(6PL + 3BL shots instead of 6BL + 4Missiles, but with 36W instead of 24W.)

Any improvements I can do?
Should I go biel-tan with a better relic for the spiritseer and make the Autarch snipey with a reaper launcher?

I've also faced orks, deathguard and guilliman lists with artillery but mostly ignored the artillery, should I continue ignoring it or should I send something to deal with it ASAP?
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
Re: 2000p (semi-mechanized) Brigade idea, what craftworld should I choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 04:45:20 PM »
Well lets look at your options.

Since I think you will disembark and charge on turn 2 in most games....that means Saim-Hann is not of much use.

Why? You don't really have the biker keyword and you troops can make up most of the turn 2 distance to make successful charges.

Alaitoc is always good for the -1 to hit since the opponent will get 2 turns to shoot at you before you engage.  Still once they Deep strike/charge the 2nd round may have minimal returns if they are within 12"

Iyanden seems a mixed bag.  Sure you can use it on degrading vehicles. But my experience is that any opponent will wipe one unit before degrading a lot. And since you will be moving you are already at a minus to hit...a lower BS as bad as it is wont change the course of the game by 1 better to hit in most of those hypotheticals.  The other half is you are almost all MSU so the first part of the trait is useless to you.

So you have Ulthwe and no army can say that is a bad trait. But is it good?  My opinion on this trait in time constraint rounds and a load of footdar is that you take up time making all those dice rolls and only get about a half a dozen saves throughout a game...not all that special.

So back to your Biel-Tan trait. If you think you have the Shuriken weapons and the stratagem to go with it I find nothing wrong with your initial gut instinct.  This is the Winner
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:46:23 PM by admironheart »
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: 2000p (semi-mechanized) Brigade idea, what craftworld should I choose?
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2018, 07:50:36 AM »
Thanx, you are definitely correct in 6+++ save does take up a lot of time.
So maybe I should go Biel-tan, not sure that trait is less time consuming though.

I am considering instead of going for a snipey autarch, I could just bring Illic, because the biel-tan warlord trait is also better used on the farseer than the autarch and the autarchs aura will be superfluous around shuriken weapons. So when rearranging the HQ section I'm thinking:

Illic Nightspear 80p
(or Autarch 99p
-star glaive, mandiblasters, forceshield, reaper launcher, (warlord: mark of the incomparable hunter, foalchu's wing.) )

Farseer 100p (warlord: natural leader) [doom, executioner]
Spiritseer 45p [quicken/restrain]
-Spirit stone of anath'lan.

With natural leader the farseer can neatly buff the fire dragons primarily.

What should I do with the leftover points? Swap a unit of hawks for another unit o shining spears? buy spiritstones or underslung cannons for the falcons, or something else?

Edit: I think I made an error on the Serpents, so I actually had even more points, but here is how the biel-tan brigade would look, thoughts??

Brigade; Biel-tan

Farseer 100p (Warlord trait: Natural leader [pseudo Guide]) [Doom, Executioner] (goes with fire dragons and avengers in serpent)
Illic Nightspear 80p (goes with small ranger unit in falcon)
Spiritseer 45p [Quicken/Restrain] (goes with banshees and avengers in serpent)
-Spirit stone of anath'lan. (relic)

6x Rangers 72p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Dire Avengers 64p
5x Rangers 60p

5x Fire Dragons 123p
-Exarch with firepike.
5x Striking Scorpions 82p
-Exarch with claw.
5x Howling Banshees 68p
-Exarch with executioner.

3x Shining Spears 95p
-Exarch with starlance.
3x Shining Spears 95p
-Exarch with starlance.
5x Swooping Hawks 72p
-Exarch with hawks talon & powersword.

3x Falcon 450p
-Brightlances.

3x Wave Serpent 402p
- 2+1 shuriken cannons.

2000p
12CP
9 drops (6 vehicles, 2x3 jetbikes, Hawks in deepstrike)

Snipers should cause about 3W on characters.
Falcons should do about 11W as antitank.
Avengers & Spears shuriken does 56 hits. (14MEQ or 28GEQ kills)
(everything else is a bonus)
So basically 1 transport vehicle, 2 infantry units and a minor character each turn :)
« Last Edit: January 9, 2018, 06:26:49 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.