News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1000 pt list for upcoming game- 1st time with 8th ed DE  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Scyrex Deledras

1000 pt list for upcoming game- 1st time with 8th ed DE
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
So as the title above indicates, I have an upcoming game this Sunday against Raven Guard Space Marines at 1000 points. This would be my first time using my old Dark Eldar (or Drukhari now, apparently) in 8th, and, rather embarrassingly, only my 3rd ever game of 8th (don't ask why). Seeing as I recently got a few new units for my Kabal, I decided to incorporate some of them into this test list. Please tell me what you think:

PATROL DETACHMENT:
Succubus- archite glaive, agonizer- 76
9 Wyches- hydra gauntlet, Hekatrix w. agonizer- 80
-Raider- dark lance- 115
5 Warriors- blaster- 50
-Venom- dual splinter cannons- 95
5 Warriors- blaster- 50
-Venom- dual splinter cannons- 95
5 Mandrakes- 95
5 Reaver Jetbikes- 150
Ravager- 1 dark lance, 2 disintegrators- 175

Total: 999

Thoughts: The general idea is, Venoms + Ravager provide fire support, Wyches + Reavers zoom up while hugging cover and present scary threats, Mandrakes pop up to attack weak stuff. In true DE fashion, I try to gang up on units wherever possible. For combat drugs, I'm thinking +1T or +1A on the Reavers, +1S on the Wyches and either +1A or +1WS (to offset the negative from the glaive) on the Succubus.

Your thoughts on this list? Feel free to tear it to shreds.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:42:29 AM by Scyrex Deledras »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: 1000 pt list for upcoming game- 1st time with 8th ed DE
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »
Dark light is nasty this edition, so the ravager can be a beast. I'd go triple dark lance for sure, which would give you 4 dark lances and 2 blasters, which is a heck of a lot of dark light in 1000 points. If you could switch the two venoms for raiders that would allow for even more. I'd scrape the missing points from maybe dropping a reaver and the point difference from the disintegrators from the ravager.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:41:40 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 10:27:54 PM »
Welcome to the True Kin!

8th has been kinder to us then past editions (other than our 5th ed dex), but we still have a fair bit of issues to overcome.

First, we are predominately a shooting army. We have a bit of CC, but lack a serious unit to deliver a punch.

While other armies can have units that are faster than us, our mechanized force is pretty fast compared to others.

On to your list!

Succubus - A decent CC unit, not amazing, but decent. I wouldn't bother with the Agoniser on her. Take the +1 WS drug to counter her Glaive and she should be pretty good.

9 wyches - there are an ok unit - not amazing but really want something else to help deliver the punch (such as Incubi). May be better off doing a unit of 8 instead, and try to fit in another Succubus or a Hamey (for the Crucible as your only anti-psycher unit).

I will make my argument for including another HQ in a moment...

5 Warriors with Blaster in a dual SC venom - solid unit. BUT! Remember the Raven Guard Trait means you gotta get close to really make your shots counts... Pick up the PGL too

5 Mandrakes - Decent unit. Not amazing but a fun one.

Reaver Jet bikes - I so want to like this unit. I really do... but it's a bit overpriced for what you get. I'd cut two of these to add another HQ.

Ravager - Great unit. Raven Guard trait doesn't apply to any units so that is this things target. I prefer mine with triple lances, but some ppl like your set up. I simply find being able to move and shoot without penalty is very useful. Those Dissy shots will probably want to target infantry, which means at full wounds you are hitting on a 5+ if you move...

I would also throw Shock Prows on every vehicle that can take them, at least the Raider as it'll be getting up close.

Now, why drop a wych and the bikes for another HQ? Because then you have a Battalion, which nets you +3 cp. That gives you 6 to play with, and while there are not a lot you can do with them, +3 re rolls or the like are definitely worth giving up a wych and two bikes.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 12:42:09 AM »
Welcome to the True Kin!

8th has been kinder to us then past editions (other than our 5th ed dex), but we still have a fair bit of issues to overcome.

First, we are predominately a shooting army. We have a bit of CC, but lack a serious unit to deliver a punch.

While other armies can have units that are faster than us, our mechanized force is pretty fast compared to others.

On to your list!

Succubus - A decent CC unit, not amazing, but decent. I wouldn't bother with the Agoniser on her. Take the +1 WS drug to counter her Glaive and she should be pretty good.

9 wyches - there are an ok unit - not amazing but really want something else to help deliver the punch (such as Incubi). May be better off doing a unit of 8 instead, and try to fit in another Succubus or a Hamey (for the Crucible as your only anti-psycher unit).

I will make my argument for including another HQ in a moment...

5 Warriors with Blaster in a dual SC venom - solid unit. BUT! Remember the Raven Guard Trait means you gotta get close to really make your shots counts... Pick up the PGL too

5 Mandrakes - Decent unit. Not amazing but a fun one.

Reaver Jet bikes - I so want to like this unit. I really do... but it's a bit overpriced for what you get. I'd cut two of these to add another HQ.

Ravager - Great unit. Raven Guard trait doesn't apply to any units so that is this things target. I prefer mine with triple lances, but some ppl like your set up. I simply find being able to move and shoot without penalty is very useful. Those Dissy shots will probably want to target infantry, which means at full wounds you are hitting on a 5+ if you move...

I would also throw Shock Prows on every vehicle that can take them, at least the Raider as it'll be getting up close.

Now, why drop a wych and the bikes for another HQ? Because then you have a Battalion, which nets you +3 cp. That gives you 6 to play with, and while there are not a lot you can do with them, +3 re rolls or the like are definitely worth giving up a wych and two bikes.

Re: the Ravager: I thought dissies were assault weapons, and therefore unaffected by the move-and-shoot debacle? I will have to re-check the Index the next time I look through it. Otherwise, thanks for your input. I'll seriously considering going for the Battalion (and agreed, those extra CPs may make a huge difference). Given that the punch of my Reavers will be severely reduced with just a unit of 3, maybe find a way to squeeze a blaster in there?

To both above posters, though: I am uncertain how many tanks I'll be facing at 1k. Do you think I have a enough darklight, or is there no such thing?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 07:58:26 AM »
I think this is a very solid list and a perfect way to get your feet wet with DE. My general philosophy with DE is to hang back on the edges and shoot while usually a small elite wing of CC to flush out or tarpit anything their guns are ineffective at handling, or intercept inbound enemy CC units. 

With the rise of -1 to hit armies (Forgeworld Styges Admech, Ravenguard, Alaitoc Eldar) I'd definitley continue to add some CC (Incubi for sure, perhaps some more Wyches)that can go in unaffected and pickup at least 1 Razorwing Jetfighter in the future. Razorwings are amazing this addition and are major league work horses for the army.

But I wouldn't change this list... it has a little bit of everything and will help you get a feel for your own playstyle with the army. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
When equipped on a vehicle, dark lances and disintegrators are treated as assault weapons, as stated in the weapons section of the index. This allows you to move and shoot without any penalty.

My issue with going battalion is it seems a waste of points to drop another 10% of your army on another hq just to get 3 more rerolls (command points). Dark Eldar HQ aren't game changers at the moment and I'd personally feel that spending the points on something more offensive would get you more bang for your buck.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »
When equipped on a vehicle, dark lances and disintegrators are treated as assault weapons, as stated in the weapons section of the index. .

May want to double check the index - that is a special rule of the lances, not of the Ravagers/Raiders/Razorwings.

Scyrex, I think if you run tripple lance ravager, that will give you a decent amount of Darklight. Kill any tanks with it first, then dreads, then heavy troops.

I almost always try and find the room for a Hamey, just as a psycher counter. While it's not amazing, I can often play up the fear of it to influence how my opponent plays.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
When equipped on a vehicle, dark lances and disintegrators are treated as assault weapons, as stated in the weapons section of the index. .

May want to double check the index - that is a special rule of the lances, not of the Ravagers/Raiders/Razorwings.

Sorry, I thought it was clear that it was a weapon rule and not a vehicle rule, stating it was in the weapon section of the index. My bad, if it was unclear.

Haemoculi are a very good choice for an hq. Just not sure two hq choices at 1000 points would be a good use of limited resources.

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »
Btw, just for the sake of clarity, I have actually been playing DE since 3rd ed. :p I just skipped out on them for most of 7th and am only now picking them up again for 8th.

Cavalier: I actually was considering a Razorwing, since I have one. My issue was, it's a bit pricey compared to a Ravager, but I will admit it would give me a more versatile mix of firepower.

If I do run a 2nd HQ then it would probably be an Archon. This isn't because I think Archons are particularly good (I dont), but they are cheap, and at least their bubble effect will affect my troops (as opposed to the Haemie, who can now only benefit Coven units. I miss my old pain token dispensers from 5th. :(  )

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 08:47:21 AM »
Dark Lancers are counted as assault weapons on vehicles wich is clearly stated in the index so why is it even discussed?
Anyway......

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
Mandrakes are a bit tricky, you don't want them on the board as they will just get nuked. Turn 2 DS and charge appears to be the way to go. Just be very careful when doing this against Eldar, as their anti-DS strat could nuke them. I now a guy that runs 3 small units and it is a nasty T2 bomb.

Offline Revener

• Moooo!
    • VÄS
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Yeah Mandrakes havea fairly decent chance to charge when they arrive since the charge roll can be rerolled.
Anyway......