News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Old School DE player coming back  (Read 2783 times)

Offline SyNide

• Dracon
  • Back in business
Old School DE player coming back
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »
Greetings fellow Archons and Archites...

It's been too long I've been away from the dark city and from the DE.

I'd like to get back to fielding the true kin, and based on my readings of the codex, this is the list I've come up with...

Real space Raiders Detachment

Archon - Shadowfield, Agoniser, Haywire, soul trap - 140

Incubi - 4 man - Klaivex- Venom w 2x splinter cannons - 155
Trueborn - 5 man - 4 Blasters - Venom w 2x splinter cannons - 180
Trueborn - 5 man - 4 Blasters - Venom w 2x splinter cannons - 180

Kabalite warriors - 5 man - blaster - venom w 2x splinter cannons - 120
Kabalite warriors - 5 man - blaster - venom w 2x splinter cannons - 120

Reavers - 6 man - 2 Cluster caltrops - 126

Ravager - 3 Dark Lances, Night shields -
Ravager - 3 Dark Lances, Night shields -

Total: 1805
Model Count: 68 models

I have no idea what else to spend the rest of the points on but I do have an idea in mind.

I used to run the classic raider rush but I'm quite interested in reaver jet bikes now, the hammer of wrath potential that they have seems very tempting.

On a side note: what's the cheapest way to get this kind of army up and running?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Old School DE player coming back
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 11:55:24 PM »
That's a lot of wounds on the table, I like it :)
Gangs of Commorragh give you a 6 man reaver squad, for slightly less than 2 three man packs.

Start collecting dark elder pack is not bad value, get your KW, 3 reavers, archon and you could "counts as" the raider as a ravage.

Keep in mind that Ravarges can be heavy weapon magnets, and there is a fair amount of long range mid strength weapons on the tables these days, so they may end up Jinking too often to actually take out targets.

Venom's I found on ebay still on sprue, its pot luck though. You can find reavers being sold on sprue now too thanks to people parting out the box set.

Offline SyNide

• Dracon
  • Back in business
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:12 AM »
Thanks, I forgot that the night shields are no longer as beautiful as they used to be.

If that's the case, would Raider squads be better than Ravagers? Even if they jink, they'd at least still be useful. Or perhaps a voidraven bomber?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 07:24:17 AM »
Perfect list! Welcome back to the hobby SyNide! Like I said PERFECT list... I wouldn't change a thing.. except perhaps upgrading your bikes to have Blasters. I know you'll be jinking a lot, but after hitting and running out of combat the Blasters are excellent.

I love how much Dark Light you have in your list... love the enormous amount of Reavers and I think you have just the right amount of Venoms and Warriors. You'll be ripping it up in combat and in shooting... plus the presence of the Ravagers is great. I think you nailed it perfectly... this is a collection of models that should stand the test of time. Its a solid, competitive and thematic army. I love it.

If you are trying to get models on the cheap... go through Frontline Gaming. You can get them for 20% off...

Anyway great stuff man and welcome back to the hobby!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/