News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First list back!  (Read 3752 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
First list back!
« on: February 5, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »
So, I am making my return to 40k and to pillaging, raiding, and striking fear into the hearts of all!

I have drawn up a pretty standard list,  nothing to special with it. Would love some feedback as a general all comers list. I am hoping to fix up my models and get it going so I can go to the local clubs and see who I find there.

Without further Adu, here are the raiders of Faitherun

HQ -  245pts total

Archon with shadow field, agonized, and haywire grenades (135)

Haemonculis with parasite kiss and a dinj blade (110)

Troops -  370pts total

2 identical squads of 10 warriors with a splinter Cannon and a blaster, mounted in a raider with a dark Lance and night shield

Elite -  375pts total

5 mandrakes (60)

5 true born with 2 splinter cannons in a raider with dark Lance, splinter racks, and enhanced sails (155) **hamey joins here**

4 incubi with a demiklave welding klavex mounted in a venom with a splinter cannon (160) **archon joins here**

Fast attack - 451pts total

2 identical units of a Razor wing with 2 dark Lance's and a night shield (155)

6 reavers with 2 cluster caltrops (146)

Heavy support - 125pts total

A ravanger with 3 dark Lance's and two blasters (125)

Not a lot of cc power, more shooting oriented. 9 dark Lance's, 4 blasters, 3 splinter cannons

9 separate units all up (is that small for 1500 pts??)

Should have good armor saturation

So thoughts, Feedback, concerns, praise? 
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
Re: First list back!
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2017, 10:50:19 PM »
Welcome back to the hobby Faitherun. I'm relatively new to Dark Eldar, but from the advice I've gotten so far from other forum members it's been to avoid the splinter cannons and just add more vanilla kabalite warriors. If you go all vanilla warriors in the raiders and add splinter racks, you should be able to have more output for the same points as the splinter cannon. With that said, the true born would work out well with all blasters and perhaps throwing them in a venom instead of a raider.

The haemonculus seems sort of out of place in the list and doesn't seem to add much. At 1500 points, you may just be best to keep it at one HQ choice. Save the points to add some CC power.

« Reply #2 on: February 6, 2017, 07:17:26 PM »
That makes sense with the warriors and the SC. If I drop those and the hamey, I could have some more points to go into something....

I had the hamey mainly cause I was so used to being able to take three as one hq. So I started to make him, then realized the changes.

Keeping to one foc, the only slots I have open is 2 heavy, 4 troops, and an hq.

Not sure what to do with those points 
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: February 6, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »
If you want to open more fast attack slots you could take the real space raiders detachment. That would allow you to split your reavers into two units of 3, which would be much easier to hide in cover. It would also allow you to take some scourges with either haywire blasters or regular blasters.

If you want to stick with a standard combined arms detachment, maybe add another unit of warriors in a raider or a large warrior blob. I usually take a troop choice for every 500 points in a list, no matter the army. This is especially true if I'm taking a standard CAD and taking advantage of having objective secured trait for each troop choice.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
I really like this list. I agree with Dog of War's opinions too. Drop those Splinter Cannons and perhaps drop 2 of the Mandrakes... I've seen Skari from Skaredcast run a unit 3 countless times just for objective grabbing and linebreaker. I'd try to keep them out of trouble as much as possible and spend as little points on them as I can. But still keep them... I am a fan!

With the extra points you could buy some Blasters or close-combat weapons for the Reavers. You may want to experiment with splitting them up into 2 units of 3... Lawrence from Tabletop Tactics runs his reavers that way (albeit with a ton more units of them) and they seem to do him justice.

I actually think you've got good combat power in this list... the Archon, the Incubi, the Reavers are all very solid. In the future I'd expand out pick up some more bikes (2 more units?) some Venoms of course and some Grotesques. Other than that this is a really solid list and will serve as a great core to your collection.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

« Reply #5 on: February 7, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »
I love mandrakes. Love their fluff, and it looks like the rules this time may actual do them some justice as a unit to pick of stragglers etc. Plus soul blaze on the shooting just makes me smile. I have yet to use them in the new incarnation.

I used to run 2 squads of three bikes and a plane, but I have always found the razor wing to be such a huge threat, I wanted to run a second one. Would you argue to use 2 bike squads over two razor wings?  I think I'll miss my old cluster caltrops, but the newer ones look like they might really pack a punch.

As for using formations, I never have and so shy away from it atm. Not 100% sure on the real space detachment

I will tweak the list a bit to see what I can do tonight. I am getting the new book on Sat so will probably be looking to incorporate some of that then.

Thanks for the feedback!
Flawless logic.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #6 on: February 7, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
Hmmm so you can get 2 more units of bikes in here at the cost of the 2nd Razorwing?

Its a tough call because you only have 1 Venom, so the missiles are very, very clutch for anti-infantry. Yet at the same time... the bikes can do work right from the beginning with the flyers coming on being somewhat unpredictable.

So now that I think about it yeah... I'd definitely double on the bikes if possible. Because you want to hit as hard as you can, as soon as you can, due to lack of staying power.

With Skilled Rider and combat drugs the Bikes can really do that. Especially if you can break them up into 4 units of 3... that's a LOT of targets on the board and with their very annoying jink saves and ease of hiding them out of LOS I'd take that every day.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

« Reply #7 on: February 7, 2017, 12:59:39 PM »
Would you advocate keeping the cluster caltrops in units of three or going the blaster route only?

I like having both but worry the squads will cost to much and then hurt when those three guys die easily.
Flawless logic.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #8 on: February 7, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
Oh no, cluster caltrops in every single unit. Gotta have them... they are such a clutch tool. If you want the ultimate tutorial on running Reavers check out Lawrence Baker's youtube channel at Tabletop Tactics on youtube. He's won the No Retreat title 3x in a row with pure DE (reavers galore) and placed 10th overall at the LVO with an Eldar wing attached and best DE player globally in the ITC. He's a DE master and he runs MSU reavers with cluster caltrops all day long. Plus he's an amazing painter to boot. This video is a great primer... check it out!

Vox Cast Transmission 13: No Retreat III Tournament Report - YouTube

They are great against everything, versatile, can go anywhere with skilled rider and hit like hell. Plus they are easy to hide. Give his videos a watch... especially where he deploys them, how he moves them. Its brilliant...

« Reply #9 on: February 7, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
I absolutely love reaver lists, and am rather sad I can't take an archon on a bike anymore. I will probably eventually do a combined eldar/true Kin with an auctuarch (sp?)  on a bike wishing he was an archon

But I am extremely interested in what this new book will give us too...

OK, here is the updated list. First off, I had somehow overlook the real space raiders formation...

So,  here it goes :)

HQ
Archon with shadow field, agonized, and parasite kiss (135)

Troops
10 warriors in a raider with dark Lance and splinter racks (115)

10 warriors in a raider with dark Lance and splinter racks (115)

Elites
5 mandrakes (60)

5 true born with 4 blasters in a raider with dark Lance and advanced sails (180)

4 Incubui with a klavex and demi blades in a venom with a splinter Cannon (160)

Fast attack
Razor wing with 2 dark Lance's and a night shield (155)

Razor wing with 2 dark Lance's and a night shield (155)

3 reavers with a blaster and cluster caltrops (73)

Heavy attack
Ravanger with 3 dark Lance's (125)

If I added that all up (and calculated each unit)  correctly, that is 1494 pts.

It's a list I like a lot. Lots of small units, death of a thousand cuts. It means I'll have to buy a few more models (I currently only have 6 bikes lol)  but not a whole lot. And, I still get to keep my two planes, which makes me very happy.

I know it's a bit light on troops, but it should be decent enough since almost any unit now can capture. I may have to add some more troops latter on, but we shall see.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2017, 09:59:50 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
Flawless logic.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #10 on: February 8, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »
Love it! Wouldn't change a thing! As you scale up to 1850 just throw a few more Venoms into the list and call it a day. I love this list... its exactly the type of list I'd run myself. Double Razorwings is gonna devastate infantry and the Incubi, Archon and Reavers are gonna do well for you in combat... especially if you run into any other assault armies like World Eaters or the like.

Also love all the Dark Lances you've got in this army. Those Lances are so under rated.

Glad you liked the video from Larence too. If you want check out Skaredcast on Youtube as well. Skari is also a MASTER Dark Eldar player... his lists are totally off the wall... maximizing on every unit in the dex including Wyches. He's the mad genius of DE players.

This podcast from Splintermind features both of them breaking down DE battle theory and its brilliant.

Splintermind: The Dark Eldar Podcast : Episode 24: Dark Eldar Tactics with Skari

Anyway bud ... I LOVE the list. My advice is stick with that list for awhile, practice, practice, practice and also make sure you are playing on boards with decent terrain. Its a huge part of the game and DE need it. All the big tournaments use it, so should us non-tourney guys!

Good luck bud and let us know how you do!