News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 40k Dark Eldar, Mandrake lore question.  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Archon_Ezarnahr

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
40k Dark Eldar, Mandrake lore question.
« on: April 6, 2016, 02:49:36 AM »
Hey guys, first I'd like to say hi I'm new here, and to the 40k tabletop gaming as well. I'm in the process of building my first army which is a Dark Eldar custom made Kabal. I've got most the details ironed out from doing hours upon hours of research, but for a particular part of my Archon's background I need some help to see if its plausible in the fluff. Seeing as how I simply can't find an answer on this, so I thoguht I'd ask the community!

So basically the question revolves around, is it possible to convert a dark eldar into a mandrake via experimentation (albiet forbidden) with the warp on their physical (and or soul) being? Basically I had a neat idea to make it so that my Archon was captured, and tortured/experimented on by the Homunculi for centuries and wanted to know if I could turn him into a mandrake or at least a demi-mandrake?

Any ideas would be helpful, if its not possible no big deal, just thought it would be kinda cool and unique, thanks guys!

*edit* after careful consideration I've decided to go against this idea, and stick with my original plans.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2016, 02:22:40 PM by Archon_Ezarnahr »

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: 40k Dark Eldar, Mandrake lore question.
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Sorry for the belated response, but this forum is slow enough these days that I suspect the mods will forgive a bit of thread necromancy.

Mandrakes are pretty mysterious. Even with the tidbits of lore we find in the Path of the Dark Eldar trilogy, we still don't know a ton about them.  The fact that they're suspected of being descended from daemonic shenanigans sort of implies that mandrakes are generally "born" rather than "made."  Rumors like the one above would be less likely to exist if a wealthy and deluded enough archon could pay to become one. 

That said, nothing is really set in stone where mandrakes are concerned. Personally, I have a "succubus" who was taken by mandrakes as payment when she was a child for occult reasons unknown.  Over time, the shadowy power of Aelindrach (the mandrake realm) suffused her giving her an inkling of their appearance ( painted her skin black and gave her weird hair), and she was taught some of the dark runes used by mandrakes for communication, etc. I fluff her blast pistol as a sort of modified "bale blast." 

It sounds like a cool idea. I say go for it!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2016, 05:08:08 PM »
Quote from: Forum Rules
... as a rule of thumb, the thread is around a month or more dead, or it has left the front page of the board.

There are instances of boards that are much slower than others and the first several threads have not had a post in well over a month.  In cases where this has happened, then please do not post in threads that have left the front page of the board.

You're good.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »
Basically I had a neat idea to make it so that my Archon was captured, and tortured/experimented on by the Homunculi for centuries and wanted to know if I could turn him into a mandrake or at least a demi-mandrake?

So according to Nov's White Dwarf the only thing that is known about Mandrakes is that nothing at all is known about them. So I agree with Wyldhunt and as nothing is set in stone for Mandrakes then anything you can imagine is good to go.

*edit* after careful consideration I've decided to go against this idea, and stick with my original plans.
Hey Archon_Ezarnahr what are your original plans? I see you are new to 40K and you have gone against conventional wisdom and chosen Dark Eldar as your army of choice. If you are still around I would be interested in hearing why you made DE your first choice and in hearing about your original plans.
I realise you are still dealing with captcha when you log on but once you reach three posts this will stop.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!