News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help VS CSM  (Read 2422 times)

Offline strikeforce_comander

Help VS CSM
« on: June 27, 2015, 01:13:38 AM »
Need some help playing against CSM in a narrative campaign.

I know that my opponent has the Forgeworld flyer, 50 CSM's, about 20 raptors, 30 Termies, a defiler, at least 2 Daemon princes. IG allies possible (Lemun Russ tanks most likely). My opponent like to play with a static gun line with vehicles at it's core.

I have about 40 Warriors, 4 Raiders, 1 Archon, 1 Haemonculis, 1 Urien Rakarth, 20 Wracks, 5 Incibi, 7-8 Grotesques. 10 reavers (3 Caltrops, 3 Blasters glued) 1 venom, 3 Razorwings fighters. 2 Talos, 1 Cronos. I like to play fast assaults lists, though will play as a mobile shooting.

Games will be played with a 1000 point maximum. Story is that we are both fighting to collect slaves from a conquest.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Help VS CSM
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
Things that I find scary in the current CSM codex...

Helldrake w/ Baleflamer. It can claw at your flyers with Vector Strike, and then burninate your boys on the ground.

Daemon Princes, esp Bel'Akor. Tough, fast, able to jink [with wings] and they'll tear you apart.

Obliterators: They get to change weapons every turn, they're tough, poison doesn't help much dealing with them.

Cypher's Dataslate: Infiltrating chosen with guns and choppy stuff, wrecking stuff up right quick.

Deathguard [Nurgle Marines?]: They're just aggravatingly tough.

So, for the most part, the things I have trouble with are tough, shooty, or especially choppy. All of which I am able to deal with, with appropriate applications of plasma. If you're quick enough to stay out of the way, you really only need to worry about the first two.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
The good news is, is sounds like your opponent doesn't field the scariest chaos combos he could.  He has a lot of bodies, and you say he's probably bringing some IG support. If you expect a lot of bodies on the table at a time, consider a razorwing or even two to help clear them off.  If you don't already,  consider running your haemonculus and a talos and cronos as part of that Covens formation that lets you mix the 3 together.  Give the haemonculus a webway portal,  land on his doorstep, and proceed to show him what a squad of MCs does to non-fearless units. Also a good answer to his vehicles once you clear a path.

If you expect lots of vehicles, I'm afraid the options you've listed aren't great for dealing with them.  Your warrior squads can pack blasters and sybarite haywire grenades, and your raiders can take lances,  but the former require you get pretty close, and the latter just aren't all that reliable.  Scourges are my main go to when I really need AT, but it looks like that isn't an option for you.  I'm not sure it would really help, but you could maybe create a blasterborn squad out of your warriors.  Your reavers are actually pretty well equipped for dealing with vehicles, but a gunline will typically be very scary for them to deal with.  Consider starting the reavers on the table behind terrain, start moving them up turn 2 as all your deepstrikers arrive (the haemonculus formation and maybe your raiders), then have them start  mixing it up with targets of opportunity on turn 3 when that haemonculus squad is good to assault!

Your incubi are great against marines. Bring them. Grotesques are cool, but you'll need to figure out how your transporting them if you take them.  I suggest an archon with a webway portal.  I'm not a huge fan of wracks Now that they aren't troops, but they aren't bad.  Maybe you can use them with Urien as part of a coven formation or something? 

I think your best bet, depending on how many vehicles he brings, is to hide whatever starts on the board (reavers probably)  behind a building,  then go for a deepstrike beta strike.  Use your warriors to try and clear out priority targets screening the vehicles with their poison,  use your raiders (I'm assuming they have lances) to try and shut down the scariest enemy vehicle,  shut down his infantry shooting turn 3 by assaulting with your incubi,  grotesques, and monster squad, and then basically just carve your way towards his vehicles with the grots and monsters.  Reavers too, if they can make it. 

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #3 on: July 1, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »
You've listed all of your opponent's models but this isn't Apocalypse, what is giving you problems?  Chaos isn't the strongest Codex right now, lots of cash grab units without much teeth.  Poison weapons of just about any stripe will be able to take care of Demon Princes even when they're flying.

Blasters are fine, they are very useful weapons so long as the rest of the army can pick up the anti-infantry slack.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.