News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1st try with new dex!  (Read 2036 times)

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
1st try with new dex!
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:11:14 PM »
Hello everyone!! I've been out of the game for a while (only 1 game in 7th and haven't played steady since the beginning of 6th), but i had a look through my buddies dex and got re-hooked! Anyway, I tried my hand at what i think will be a decently competitive list if any of the more experienced players here would like to give it a look over. (disclaimer***I don't have my codex in front of me, i'm at work and have been borrowing my buddies, so I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the rules. I'm using battle scribe to put the list together)

Archon, Huskblade, soul-Trap, shadowfield, Parasites Kiss-140
Court: 2x Lhamean, 1x Medusae, 4x Sslyth, Raider, Dissie, Sales, NS-220
Trueborn (5) 4x Blasters, Venom, 2x Splinter Cannon-180
Trueborn (5) 4x Blasters, Venom, 2x Splinter Cannon-180
Warriors (10) Raider, Dissie, NS, Splinter Racks-165
Razorwing, 2x Darklance, TL Rifle, 2x Mono, 2x Necro-155
Scourges (5) 4x Haywire Blaster-120
Scourges (5) 4x Haywire Blaster-120
Ravager 2x DL, 1x Dissie-120
Ravager 2x DL, 1x Dissie-120

Now, a couple of things, I'm not sure if I would be better off using the realspace raiders detachment, or just a regular old cad, objective secure vs a couple 1st turn buffs, honestly a tossup for me. The other thing, I don't seem to remember looking at the new stats for a dissie cannon, I kind of just assumed they stayed the same (now i feel dumb) anyway, is it worth it to upgrade the raiders to lances, or are dissies still the terminator killing heavy bolter it was from 5th edition? I'd like to find the points for more bodies for the scourges, any suggestions where to trim? Due to the loss of aerial assault, I figured a more generalist setup would be worth it on the ravagers, I tend to play more mobile so I'll probably be snap firing the third one most of the time anyway, why bother paying for it. I wanted to give the court of the Archon a try, and if I'm not mistaken about the new rules, 4 Sslyth should make the unit majority toughness badass and put out good shooting and decent cc attacks.

I went ahead and wrote up a second list as well, making a bigger use of the realspace raider detachment that I think I'll go ahead and post it here and see which is better

Succubus, Armor of Misery, Archite Glaive-110
Incubi (4) Venom, 2x Splinter Cannon-145
Warriors (5) Blaster, Venom 2x Splinter Cannon-120
Razorwing, Dissie, 2x Mono, 2x Necro, NS-155
Razorwing, Dissie, 2x Mono, 2x Necro, NS-155
Reavers (6) 2x Heat Lance, 2x Cluster Caltrops-146
Reavers (6) 2x Heat Lance, 2x Cluster Caltrops-146
Scourges (5) 4x Haywire Blaster-168
Scourges (5) 4x Haywire Blaster-168
Void Raven, NS-175

This one is all about the fast attack. Tons of fire power, fliers galore, and a ton of AP2 cc from the succubus and the incubi. I lose a lot of my AT power, but I think its going to do a little better in terms of positioning. I'll be running circles around most armies. Downside is that I'd have to buy 3 fliers and I think my wallet just let out an audible groan. Anyway, any comments or critiques are welcome. Which do you think would fare better in 7th edition? What, if anything, would you change about either list? Thanks in advance!!

Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
Re: 1st try with new dex!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:51 PM »
The best way to use our fliers is to have them come on, loose everything they can at a single target: DLs for tank killing and AP2 and missiles for massed infantry, then use your night shields to survive the return fire, and then fly off the board.  Repeat as necessary.  Using this tactic, I would change your razorwings to each have a single missile type.

I'm also a fan of the second list over the first.  I would drop the HQ and the incubi. I'd rather have another unit of warriors in a venom with a blaster.  We win with overwhelming target priorities  If you have a single unit of incubi with your HQ then you have a primary target for the enemy to shoot at.  A primary target that won't live long. I am unsure what a better HQ would be though.  Probably an archon with a shadow field and a blaster.  You could put him in a raider with some warriors instead of a venom and use a WWP to position them to hit someone's rear armor.

If you end up going with the ravagers I wouldn't split up their weapon types either.  Either dissies or lances.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:21:48 PM by Ludo »
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:34:25 PM »
Okay, so I rejiggered the list a bit, taking a few elements of both.

Archon, Archangel of Pain, Huskblade, soul-trap, shadowfield, haywire grenades-165
Court, 2x Lhamean, 4x Sslyth, Raider, Dissie, NS-190
Trueborn, 3x blaster, venom, splinter cannon-165
Trueborn, 3x blaster, venom, splinter cannon-165
Warriors (10) Raider, Racks, NS-165
Reavers (6) 2x Cluster Caltrops-126
Reavers (6) 2x Cluster Caltrops-126
Scourges 4x Haywire Blaster-120
Scourges 4x Haywire Blaster-120
Voidraven, Lances, NS-175

So I think I like raider gunboats more than venom spam (also a bit cheaper too) And I feel like the Void Raven is going to be better for anti air than razorwings (I also only took one because again $$$) Reavers tag team with the archon in combat, scourges and trueborn pop vehicles, warriors splat the insides. I feel like I might be lacking in the AT department but idk where to squeeze it in.

I got rid of the razorwings mainly because I don't want to buy them, but also because I need my fliers more for knocking out enemy fliers which I think the void raven does better.
I agree that the succubus/incubi is a squishy juicy target, and I think the Archon/court combo gives up a little punch for some survivability. I'd like the points for a webway portal but I don't think the squad really needs to deepstrike so I'm not too worried about it.
I dropped the ravagers, with the loss of flickerfields, aerial assault, change to night shields, and hike in price, the just aren't the awesome badass auto-include they used to be.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 03:54:38 AM »
I am not a fan of the court in this list.  I think another squad of trueborn would help you out more.  I feel like you're lacking in anti- tank punch.  3x squads of trueborn with blasters will fix that.  Either that or try and put heat lances back on the reavers.

Do you have DLs on the Raiders that go with the warriors? If you don't want more trueborn then some blasters & dark lances on your warriors and their raiders will help fill the same roll.

I feel you on the $$$.  It's the reason I won't be running a 6x razorwing list anytime soon.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire