News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330613 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1620 on: December 4, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »
You can take Guilliman in any "Armies of the Imperium" force including IG, Sisters, any Space Marines etc. He's a Lord of War and so he's technically in his own detachment so I BELIEVE you can run him alongside any Space Marine army and keep your Chapter Tactics. I've not taken a LoW this edition so you may want to check on that.

Everybody and their brother are running him though he's recently gone up in points. He's ridiculously good... and once the Lion is released from FW (for 30k) I'm gonna be seriously tempted to do some count-as action just for fun once and awhile.   8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1621 on: December 4, 2017, 09:31:18 AM »
Thanks, mate!
I want to make my 3000pts of Primaris another chapter besides the Wolves and really didn't want them to be Ulta Smurfs just to field Guilliman... Cheers pointy ears!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1622 on: December 4, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
I dont think I've seen your Primaris yet... have you started painting them?

About the Ultramarines... I know people love to crap on them but I gotta say I actually think they are pretty awesome. I was really neutral on them for the longest time... but after reading Mark of Calth specifically Calth that Was by Graham McNeill (you can skip everything but his story IMO) I really came to love the UM's... Dudes have immense pride in their heritage and are stone cold killers towards their enemies. Their rivalry with the Word Bearers is pretty damn legendary too. If you have an interest in running Guilliman with the actual model, I'd at least think about using some Ultramarines or one of their successors. Sons of Orar are pretty damn awesome... Anyway just some food for thought my friend!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Orange

« Reply #1623 on: December 4, 2017, 11:34:40 PM »
I felt the same about Ultras too, but the Space Marine video game (I had it on Xbox 360) is what changed my mind about them. Captain Titus is awesome, I really hope they make a sequel one day!

Though there are a lot of Ultras players locally, so I went with Aurora Chapter, one of their successors who are pretty much green Ultras :)

And thanks for the tip with Eshin Grey, I've not tried that colour before. I've got one of each of the old metal assassins, and they'd be great models to try it out on.

Offline Loops

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1624 on: December 5, 2017, 03:38:14 AM »
Hey, I'm loving your corsairs and reading through this (I'm up to page 19, not 82), but I loved your Exodite Outriders conversion even more. Can someone tell me if Cav continues the exodites? And if so, what page?

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1625 on: December 5, 2017, 05:52:10 AM »
G'day Loops!
No spoilers, mate. You just keep on trudging through the goodness... Be well!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1626 on: December 5, 2017, 07:30:22 AM »
@Orange- You gotta get some Eshin Grey my man. Its just the BEST! Come to think of it... I probably wouldnt have started my Dark Angels without it. My Alaitoc/Shadowstrike guys would've been painted with blue highlights most likely... but yeah Eshin Grey is an absolute gem from GW. Also yeah I dig that Space Marine game. Its super fun... I had the demo... and its going for like $10 now. No excuse gotta get it!

@Loops- Hey Loops, thanks so much for jumping aboard! Sadly I haven't completed that project... I've got like 15 Cold Ones ready to rock (even a two-headed one!). At the time they were a cheap alternative to Eldar Jetbikes which were going for like $22 for a single bike. But fear not... I'm going to finish them some day. I'm gonna get some of the Fyre Slayer monsters to go alongside them too and have a really cool bunch of Exodites. Its definitley a ways down the road but I see those guys crying out from the bits box when I'm rifling through there... so they are not forgotten! Anyway thanks man and welcome to the forum!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1627 on: December 5, 2017, 08:17:40 AM »
Hey Cav, your models just keep getting better! In particular, Cawl is just majestic - and this got to mean something coming from a guy who's really not a fan of AdMech aesthetics :)

Excellent work!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1628 on: December 6, 2017, 01:38:27 PM »
@Seeking One- Sorry I missed your post bud. Thanks so much. I've got a lot issues with the Ad. Mech range as well so I totally feel you on that one. But thanks so much man it really means a lot.

Hey guys. Just a quick update but figured it looked pretty cool, so I thought I'd share. Currently out of models of my own to paint (with the exception of my Bonesinger) so I figured with the DA index inbound and my army very close to completion, I'd press on and continue to do more detailing work on my Dark Angels. So I re-painted their eyes from orange to yellow, added some transfers and weathered these guys up, particularly the Contemptor. Gonna redo the script on his banner with brown instead of red, but other than that these guys are done. Really happy to add those transfers. Got my Microset and Lahmian Medium out and really took the time to get them right. Hope you guys dig them. Anyway cant wait for the codex to drop... this army more than any other is the one I'm looking forward to playing ASAP

IMG_7497 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7498 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7499 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7501 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

IMG_7506 by Eldar Cavalier, on Flickr

Can't wait for this Codex to drop... especially considering I have a battalions worth of troops, 10 Terminators and 2 HQ's already painted! Anyway thanks for stopping by guys talk soon!
« Last Edit: December 6, 2017, 06:29:20 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1629 on: December 6, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
Niiiiice!
Those termies are a hoot, mate. Look a little crowd controlly with those shields, (...or should I say horde controlly). I really like'm. Masterstroke with the weathering as always, Cavalier.

Hope I never come up against one of those contemtors. They look like tough nuts to crack. Keep up the inspiration, mate... Be well!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1630 on: December 7, 2017, 04:14:22 AM »
Excellent stuff! Love the weathering, and the black armour in general. Posing is cool too.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1631 on: December 7, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
niiiice, but lets face it your Eldar were those colour better ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1632 on: December 7, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »
Nice work Cav. I liked these guys before, I love them now! The addition of the transfers helps bring some light and focus to the models, and that cleanliness is counteracted by the weathering, which is top notch.

Superb unit and a great update.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Orange

« Reply #1633 on: December 7, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »
Beautiful work Cav, the firey thunder hammers are a really unique touch and match the colour scheme really well.

The weathering and vibrant reds are really on point. I hope the new codex treats them well, from memory the last one was a bit disappointing.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1634 on: December 7, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »
The weathering and the transfers are just sublime. Perfect placement and execution, as I've come to expect from such a master painter. Now if I could just get over those whack-a-mole hammers.  ;)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1635 on: December 17, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much bud. Thanks about the weathering too… really trying to differentiate my Imperial and Chaos stuff from my Eldar. Yeah the Contemptor is awesome… really looking forward to dropping this bad boy out of a Storm Eagle with his Termie brothers. Thanks!

@SeekingOne- Thanks man, I appreciate it. Especially on the posing… these models were a bit finnicy to get posed properly. Thanks!

@Magenb- lol thanks bud

@Orange- Thanks so much Orange. Really glad you dig the fire hammers. Thanks on the weathering and the reds too… I feel like it sort of charges the models up a bit. I see a lot of DA players go with green accents to tie into 40k stuff but I always disagree with that (even though it looks good). Yes the new Codex is awesome. I’m very, very excited about it… especially with access to Stormravens to drop my Terminators off into battle. The 6th edition dex was absolutley terrible, the 7th edition was crazy good due to formations, but this one is very very strong. I’d probably place it 3rd overall in power… Ultramarines with Guilliman, Ravenguard, Dark Angels and then Blood Angels. Anyway thanks man!

@Looshkin- Thanks a lot Loosh. Really glad you like them. Everytime I learn something new I try to go back and add just a bit to some of my important units… so I’m really glad you dig these guys. I spent a lot of money on getting all the FW goodies for them so making them look good has been a bit of a process. Thanks so much bud.

@Dog of War- Thanks so much man really appreciate the kind words. Its been a lot of fun working with the transfers. Now I gotta go back and add tactical arrows to my regular marines. Thanks bud

@Everybody- Well… its been awhile guys but I’ve been on a 2 week commission bender. Hooo doggy… Magnus, Mortarion and building and base coating another triumvirate, recording the podcast has been a lot of work. Ontop of all my other life duties!

So it was a challenge painting this guy up with minimal blending and only 2 highlights (and rocking the GW scheme) but Im happy with how he came out. But boy am I exhausted. I've been killing myself to get this done because I have more clients in the queue but I did manage to do it. Anyway hope you guys enjoy...

Also check out the latest splintermind episode! Its our Ynnari FAQ (with some pretty intersting stuff on Ynnari using CW stratagems), Craftworld Review and Blood Angels review. http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

I've got some fun stuff coming up like my big World Eaters order that is going out this week, some reinforcements from the Dark Vengeance set for my DA that someone gave to me for free! and other stuff as well. Anyway hope you guys enjoy... and take care!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:40:44 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1636 on: December 17, 2017, 06:52:23 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
Wow, that looks like a headache to paint. Your paint job is amazing as always, mate, but am not a fan of the model itself. It's far too busy for my taste. Have no idea what I'm looking at, to be honest.

Have been chomping at the bit for the latest podcast as well. How exactly is that set up? Can't imagine you travel to Thor's place for every episode. Do you do it over the phone? Have all of you got microphones/ sound systems in your homes?

Anyhoo, have a merry and safe Xmas, Cavalier... Be well!   

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1637 on: December 20, 2017, 04:46:07 AM »
Holy beslubberballs.

*Jaw drops off*

*Replaces jaw*

*Jaw drops off again*

*Ah beslubber it*

Amazing work Cav! That Mortarion is terrific. I've painted a fair few Death Guard recently and I know how much of a joy and how much of a pain they are to paint. The amount of detail is crazy...so for you to capture all the detail yet not let is overtake the model is really what I find most impressive about this big guy.

I've got to ask though...this was a crazy huge commission...what the heck did the client have to pay for all this?*

Stunning work as ever Cav...the client is getting the most amazing set of minis for their collection. Well done matey.

*and kinda related...what work do they do?  Because clearly they are earning a significant amount more than me!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Orange

« Reply #1638 on: December 20, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
Beautiful work, I especially like the bright glowing blue on Magnus. The wings must have taken a lot of patience but it was worth it!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1639 on: December 21, 2017, 02:15:48 PM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much brother. Yeah I was with you on Mortarion till you seem him in person. Its actually a very simple looking model when you have it hand, namely because he's so big. I wasn't a fan of Guilliman, Magnus or Mortarion till I had them in hand. Now I want all of them. As for the podcast we all have microphones and record our Skype conversations. It sounds simple but the technical problems are a pain. Its amazing how frequently someones computer goes on the fritz. I wish we all lived local because we all really get along great, and itd be so fun to record live. Anyway thanks man I appreciate it and Merry Christmas!

@Looshkin- Wow thanks man you are too kind. Really glad you dig the Mortarion... I definitely adopted your approach for this dude. I actually found him super easy to paint unlike... FREAKING MAGNUS. I'm still seeing feathers in my nightmares... lol.

As for how much the client paid... I can't get into specifics but its well north of $1000 for this collection. As for what these guys do for cash... man I can't imagine. Some clients clearly have money to spare but a lot seem to be getting a few special centerpiece to top off a collection or complete a list. I think the average 40k player is probably worse than the average commission client though. I'm on the Independent Characters FB group and seeing people talk about how much stuff they have which is unpainted blows my mind. I've only ever bought enough to make whatever list I have in mind (or something special like the Bonesinger) so its hard for me to fathom.

Anyway thanks so much man. I have to admit I'm pretty burned out after doing this project as fun as it was... as I blitzkrieged through a decent amount of Eldar stuff just before I got this. Getting my wind back slowly and I'm gonna attack the new year like a Berserker. So your words really mean a lot. Thanks so much my friend and Merry Christmas!!!

@Orange- Thanks so much bud. Especially on those Magnus wings. I tell you thats the most brutal part of the model. Each side of the wing takes about 3 hours to do the blue edges so its means a lot. Thanks again bud and Merry Christmas!