News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 750pt Judgement day tourney... first ever try at Tau  (Read 472 times)

Offline Massaen

• Ork Boy
  • Worlds End Radio Host!
750pt Judgement day tourney... first ever try at Tau
« on: February 3, 2008, 10:24:19 AM »
Be gentle ;D

Shas'el with TL Plas rifle, shield generator (Shaso rmyr model)
XV8 fire storm
XV8 Fire storm
4 Stealth suits, team leader, 2 gun drones
6 fire warriors w rifles, team leader w target lock & markerlight, 2 marker drones
6 fire warriors w carbines, team leader w 2 gun drones
pirahna w fusion & decoy launchers
Broadside w ASS & teamleader, 1 shield drone

Its 5 games in 1 day sometime in august so i have some time...

I know that the shasel is least optimal for weapons but i like the model so much i don't have the heart to change it...

The idea was a refused flank using the XV8s, XV15s, pirahna. Use the FW with carbines as backup (mobile at that) and use the XV88 & FW with rifles for target aquisition and destruction from afar...

I was also considering vespid, kroot or sniper drones... even pathfinders but i really dislike the tau vehicles...eldar player at heart ;D

cheers for any advice

The stars once lived and died at our hands and yet you still defy us? Foolish Mon Keigh, you are all doomed...

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: 750pt Judgement day tourney... first ever try at Tau
« Reply #1 on: February 3, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »
Shas'el with TL Plas rifle, shield generator (Shaso rmyr model)
I know that the shasel is least optimal for weapons but i like the model so much i don't have the heart to change it...

How bout calling it a fancy plasma rifle, and adding another weapon? Also scrap the shield generator, he’s got JSJ and independent character status for safety.

4 Stealth suits, team leader, 2 gun drones

Adding Gun Drones increases their foot print, which makes them harder to hide, which makes them easier to shoot. Whether you keep them or not, bonding should always be taken in Battlesuit teams of 3 or more. You invested a fair bit to get them, I’m sure you’d like them to stay around.

6 fire warriors w rifles, team leader w target lock & markerlight, 2 marker drones

Consider for the price of the  Marker Drones, you could get another 6 more Fire Warriors, a team unto itself. The key thing about markerlights is that they are support weapons, they need stuff to support. Marker Drones eat up a fair bit of points for that support at 750 points.

pirahna w fusion & decoy launchers

Scrap decoys, it isn’t as effective on open topped vehicles, and add a target array instead. You’d likely have one shot, so best make it count.

Broadside w ASS & teamleader, 1 shield drone

Do note that you can get a cover save for free, and ASS isn’t effected by difficult terrain.

I was also considering vespid, kroot or sniper drones...

Follow some of the above, I’m sure you could fit them in :)

Offline Massaen

• Ork Boy
  • Worlds End Radio Host!
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
Thanks for the input, here's my reasoning...

Shasel - as i said earlier, I don't want to change the model because its so cool and i know the load out is rubbish...i envisaged him more like a tarpit unit if need be. He also can hunt dev teams and such quite well.

Fire storm - 2 good all round xv8's. Work horses of the list

Stealth team - good point about the bonding. I guess the quesion becomes 4 stealth and 2 drones or 5 stealth?

FW w rifles - this unit is designed to mark targets for the rest of the army - this helps counter the average BS of the suits. Increasing the FW beyond 6 does not acheive my objective for the unit nor does dropping the marker drones. Due to my dislike of tau tanks (model, not rules) i can't use pathfinders so this was as close as i could get. In terms of effect i think they out perform path finders in any case.

Pirahna - good point, consider it changed

Broadside - while cover may be free, it can't move with me.

After reading the board for the last few days i can see your a big fan of the Kroot Derikari! I tend to play very elite style lists so a cheap unit of very easy kills in the form of kroot does not sit well in my head. I do admit i feel quite exposed without an assault element though... How would you use them? hounds or ox? Shaper? unit size? ???

The stars once lived and died at our hands and yet you still defy us? Foolish Mon Keigh, you are all doomed...

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2008, 01:54:38 AM »
i envisaged him more like a tarpit unit if need be.

He as 3 MEQ wounds, that does not last long at all. If you want a speed bump, I’d recommend min sized Gun Drones, or a pair off a Devilfish of Piranha. Fantastic things, particularly the vehicle borne ones as they don’t give off VPs for dying, and die very well when you want them to.

Stealth team - good point about the bonding. I guess the quesion becomes 4 stealth and 2 drones or 5 stealth?

I’d take another Stealth Suit over Gun Drones. Smaller footprint, more firepower. Although you’d have to find a few points for that to happen.

In terms of effect i think they out perform path finders in any case.

Pathfinders are our most point effective way of getting markerlights, once you take a decent size. That includes the price of the Devilfish. That said, the squad would cost over 200 points, and best left to 1500 points and above.

I tend to play very elite style lists so a cheap unit of very easy kills in the form of kroot does not sit well in my head.

Like your Fire Warriors? AP4 isn’t that hard to get in other armies (*cough* heavy bolter *cough*), and against such weapons Fire Warriors die just as fast. Considering Kroot are totally naked, they should be in cover as much as possible. Chucking them into a building or forest, and they match the durability of Fire Warriors.

I do admit i feel quite exposed without an assault element though...

They’re better at shooting.

How would you use them?

Pure Kroot is best. The Krootox absolutely sucks to the max as it carries a pathetic missile pod wannabe weapon, and harms the squad itself by taking away infiltration. Smaller squads is best. You need that cover save, and smaller squads get it much easier than larger ones. Shaper is unnecessary, you get more attacks, shots and wounds from more Kroot, they don’t need a pathetic 6+ save that almost everything denies, nor do they need a single pulse weapon. I haven’t found the lower LD to be an issue, they stick around when you want them to and when they do retreat (if they get the chance), it’s usually when I want them to anyways.

If you want pure assault though, 10 Kroot and the rest Hounds. Hounds are cheaper, have just as many attacks but most importantly have a high I. With infiltration, they can get into squishy squads by turn 2, or 1 if your opponent helps you out. Don’t expect much if you go against things with armour though, their attacks will bounce off and they will die in droves. If you want counter assault, I’d recommend pure Kroot. A single point more than a hound you get a gun, and those few more guns could mean the difference when the time comes for melee by thinning out the enemy, or stopping it altogether. They’re best taking the charge from cover, so that for the first turn their average I is offset.