News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ymgarl Genestealers and the Aegis Defense Line  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Flankster

Ymgarl Genestealers and the Aegis Defense Line
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:24 PM »
I have trouble getting my Ymgarls in to assault because usually there isn't area terrain close enough to my opponent, that he hasn't filled already (usually with 24 platoons of guardsmen). Here's my solution:

Place an aegis defense line right outside his deployment zone, right in the middle. I then field a horde list, and march it towards him. If he's silly enough to occupy the entire Aegis Defense zone (area terrain) then that's a bunch of guys who are that much closer to the zerg. If he leaves it vacant, I can use the defense line as cover for the zerg on its way across the board (as long as I leave enough room for the Ymgarls). Whenever they show up, hopefully turn 2, I can move them straight into assault.

In subsequent games, my opponents will likely expect the same trick again, and probably won't deploy anywhere near it. I can spend ## points on the Aegis defense line, not bring any Ymgarls and restrict my opponent's deployment options.

OK, Hiveminds,  what do you think?

Post Merge: March 27, 2013, 04:07:03 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Well so much for that idea.

Pg. 120: "Fortifications must be set up wholly within the owning player's table half and not within 3" of another fortification."

I was wondering why the collective Hive mind was so quiet...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:07:03 PM by Flankster »
Fluff? Fluff is the stuff that makes me turn 80 pages to find the other half of the battle book. I frankly don't give a damn.

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
Re: Ymgarl Genestealers and the Aegis Defense Line
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
I don't consider myself to be part of the hive mind, but I was browsing...

Why do you think the Aegis is area terrain? It doesn't meet the description in BDB p.91 of having a clearly defined boundary. The Aegis fortification entry on p.115 states that it is a defence line (see p.104), which again makes no mention of area.

And if it's not area terrain, your Ymgarls can't hide there :-(

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
Also, I think fortifications you pay for have to go in your own deployment zone.

Far better perhaps is to plant some area terrain just outside the enemy deployment zones. (a good table ought to have terrain mostly in the middle, in my opinion)  also, bodies of water aren't quite so appealing to try and occupy.
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Plastikente

• Back Online!
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau
« Reply #3 on: April 3, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »
Also, I think fortifications you pay for have to go in your own deployment zone.
Not quite - see BDB, p.120, top left.  In any case, you can't deploy a fortification close enough to the enemy to make a shooty force want to run out and try to take it.  Travellar's suggestion of just placing some general terrain where you want it has to be the way to go.  Problem with woods and bodies of water is the mysterious terrain tables, so I would lean towards craters and ruins instead.  But if you're willing to take a risk...

Offline Hive Fleet Dave

• Shaaaating
  • Armies: Blood Angels, IG & Tyranids
« Reply #4 on: December 5, 2013, 08:06:18 AM »
  Problem with woods and bodies of water is the mysterious terrain tables, so I would lean towards craters and ruins instead.  But if you're willing to take a risk...

Yeah but you don't have to play mysterious terrain? :-\
"Friendly fire isn't"