News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 10th 40kOnline UK Tournament  (Read 7337 times)

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
10th 40kOnline UK Tournament
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
Hi,

I've had a great time at the previous 2 tournaments in bracknell, are there any plans for another one this year ?  And if so, do we have a confirmed date yet (so I can book it off) ?

Rathstar
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Re: 10th 40kOnline UK Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
Hey Rathstar,

We are actually in the process behind the scenes of working out if anybody is able to organise it this year. At the moment all of us who normally organise it are struggling to find time to commit as one is training to be a doctor, one has a family to support and I've been working 60+ hours every week for the last three months and am not sure it is going to let up any time soon...

It is likely to go ahead, it is just a case of who is going to run it. I'll try and have a word with committee members next time I am down the club, which could be tonight. 

If it is any help we usually take the third weekend in August (20th) but that is not strictly the case. We will keep you updated.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
I think that on that note we should suggest that if someone wants to be more involved in the organising /running of the event then make yourself heard. This is a community event by us and for us, and aside from the critical and kind help from the Bracknell Forest Gamers Club the key thing is that we, as a community, can work together to put on a great day!

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:48:53 PM »
I am more than happy to help set up and pack away again (date permitting)  :)

Please ask if you need any other help and i will see if i can crowbar it into my life  ;)
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
We got a club meet on the 5th Feb
we'll be talkign about club events and Days

the 40kolf GT is on the Agenda - "pencilled date" is the 20th August
as said gOOgle5, Oink and Erriond have be talking to me on email and gOOgle5 will be at the meet to steer it.

Happy to have any one else input  - email club@bfgclub.org.uk if you want

Now of to sort out WoW, Where Sleeping Gods Lie (warmachine campaign) and WoM to start with :)
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:44 PM »
I can offer to run and host the tournament if you like, being on the committee of the Bristol Vanguard makes it fairly simple! I don't think I'd be keen to organise it remotely though as its a bit rude asking people to do the grunt work without being there to chip in and its something of a trek! But if you guys are keen to run things thats no problem. :)
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »
The Vanguard in Bristol would be a great place to host the 40konline tournament!  Its got a ton of tables, nice terrain, easy access from the train station (relatively, anyway), low gang murders, an easy walk to the red light district, and is local for me!  So its ideal!

Oh, and yes I'm interested.  With Orks.  Lots of Orks.
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
Do it in Leeds. Then I don't have to go anywhere.

Actually, on a more serious note, while I'm sure BFG was very good, Bracknell isn't exactly the centre of the Unvierse, and is not particularly easy to get to without a car. I'd *hypothetically* second Bristol, if only for the train station.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:55 PM »
Although Bracknell is "conveniently" situated between the Bristol...onians and the rest of us located in, around and to the north of London etc... I'm pretty certain g00gle has already started discussing things with the BFG committee... although we'll still have to figure out the logistics of everything considering that the guys that normally sort things out are looking rather tied up for this year.

For me, it is more important that we can actually put together another blinding event for everyone than exactly where that occurs. Stay tuned everyone...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 3, 2011, 09:38:59 AM »
For me, it is more important that we can actually put together another blinding event for everyone than exactly where that occurs.

I agree, I've always been happy with Bracknell and the BFG have a good setup going on. Plus its nice to have a bit of continuity of being in the same place. Just saying if you want some help, I'm happy to do it.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #10 on: February 3, 2011, 09:53:07 AM »
As another Bristolian I'd be happy to help set up in Bristol (if) it came here. (though I'd also be keen to play)
But Bracknell is also good.

Dizzy

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #11 on: February 7, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
So dudes, any news?
Bracknell? Bristol? Brighton? Brisbane?  ;D
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline Bezerek

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:25:02 AM »
I'll get the stick o' beats out and ask them to see if they have an update today
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.rankingshq.com/widget/jquery.js'></script><script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.rankingshq.com/widget/ClientSiteLarge.js'></script><script type='text/javascript'>renderWidget(9,0,0,3,320,250);</script>

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
Okay, it is looking like August 20th in Bracknell.

I was chatting with Dan of the BFG about the points limit for this years event. Last year, 1750 seemed to go down pretty well. The problem was that 4 games of 1750, with a break for lunch, was seemingly just a bit too tight for a happy days gaming.

I suppose this means we are at a crossroads... do we go with 4x 1500pt games, or 3x 1750pt games. At 3x 1750 games we could even look at upping the limit further, or we could maybe even look at doing something a little more off the wall... such as having a 4th game at 400 or 500pts as a sort of start of day warm up patrol engagement-type thing...

I open this up for discussion...

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:45:07 PM »
I agree that 1750 makes 4 games a bit tight, especially if you have a lot of models to corral/assemble (stupid flying bases). I quite like the idea of 3 games and a mini one of some sort, but I'm equally open to the idea of going back to 1500 points and having 4 games.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
A cool event we had in Bristol a couple of months ago was 4 games, 2 x 1500 and 2 x 2000.
Now this was called "The Longest Day", and it lived up to its billing. None-the-less, I think the concept was pretty cool.
So on that theme, my suggestion would be to have a 500 point warm up, followed by 1000 or 1250. Both of these games would be random draws, and could have lots of bonus objectives and missions to make the afternoon spicier.
Then go for 2 x 1750 in the afternoon, with full swiss ranking.

Thoughts?

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 02:08:43 PM »
Hi,

I didn't think the move up to 1750 added too much to the game length. There is a time limit as well to keep us on schedule.

How about as a compromise we have 2 games at 1500, followed by 2 at 1750 ?

Rathstar
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline Guildmage Aech

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 02:33:03 PM »

I like it, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Escalation is quite fun as you get to look forward to having more toys to play with as the day goes on!

I agree that 4 games at 1750 is a lot to squeeze into the time available though.

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
Hi,

I didn't think the move up to 1750 added too much to the game length. There is a time limit as well to keep us on schedule.

Rathstar

Maybe not for you, but some of us play Tyranids and find it makes a big difference.

I agree that having 2 games at 1500 and 2 at 1750 is a nice idea.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
what about 'escaltion' like what bfg run, as that has 4-5 games going from (i think) 500pts to 2000pts
oink is a nancy!