News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Blood Angels 1250pts List, and the resulting problems.  (Read 696 times)

Offline Woodnote

• I R n00btastic =)
Blood Angels 1250pts List, and the resulting problems.
« on: August 5, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
I mainly play 2v2 matches at the above points, it's not really competitive but i'd still appreciate a little insight on your part(s)  8)

Reclusiarch
- Jump Pack

Assault Marines
- 10 Man
- 2 Meltaguns
- Power Fist

Assault Marines
- 8 Man
- 1 Meltaguns
- Power Fist

Sanguinary Priest
- Jump Pack
- Power Weapon

Assault Terminator Squad
- 5 Man
- 2 Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield

Vanguard Squad
- 5 Man
- Jump Packs
- Power Fist
- Power Sword

Furioso Dreadnought
- Heavy Flamer
- Searchlight
- Drop Pod w/Beacon

Now the problem lies in the drop pod recklessly charging in on turn one ahead of the rest of my forces, in regular 2v2 games this wouldn't be as much of a problem but in my test game my team mate (rather understandably) chose to reserve everything so as not to be blown away first turn. I positioned the pod and dread as strategically as possible but against 2500pts of shooty it turned into two nice craters rather sharpish. A drop pod dread is a formidable thing but the main reason it's there is as a beacon for my terminators (they do love to scatter). An alternative would perhaps be the scout option but they're not as good at getting close and not as useful once they're there (imho). Then there's the landraider option, which is fantastic apart from the £ cost of the thing (ignoring the fact that i've not the points and i don't like how it'd fit into my theme). So my main question would be. How do i get my termintors in close enough to do some damage, within the points i have available?

Tl;dr
How to get termintors close enough to punch people in the face without getting too many holes in them?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: Blood Angels 1250pts List, and the resulting problems.
« Reply #1 on: August 5, 2010, 10:52:55 AM »
Tl;dr
How to get termintors close enough to punch people in the face without getting too many holes in them?

Pretty much you have to use a land raider (or a stormraven if you fancy building one!), fighting on foot doesn't go well for them, even if you deep strike people will either plaster them with fire in the aim for forcing enough armour saves to prevent those shields helping you out much or simply back out of assault range.

Maybe it would be a better idea to replace the terminators with something that suits your army better? I take it that you're deep striking the jump packs? If so, you're putting quite the pressure on your team mate to hold the line for the first turn or two, so either plan to both all reserve and add something like a stormraven or outflanking baal preds... the advantage of the stormraven is that it can deep strike and you can put the dread in it!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Woodnote

• I R n00btastic =)
« Reply #2 on: August 6, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
I am somewhat resigned to the fact that the land raider combo is the optimal tactic for assault terminators. I'd just begrudge paying the money for something i'd always feel stood out in my army a little too much. The stormraven idea intrigues me a little more, the main problem i see with that is the points cost, it just doesn't seem to fit into my army. Perhaps a non terminator list is called for with the blood angels. I'll have a think on it.

Offline Malduran

• Newest
« Reply #3 on: August 6, 2010, 05:17:58 PM »
Just looking at your army list the first thing that came to mind was that the dread and termies just didnt fit.
While i can forgive the dread (i would suggest using a death company dread for the 'non can stay my wrath' rule) ther termies i just can not. Would you consider dropping the termies for either
A) death comapny with jump packs (more attacks, feel no pain and any spare points can give them powerweapons)
B) More assault marines (redundancy is the key)
C) Land speeders with multi-melta for a little more tank busting (they can still deepstrike for your theme).

Just my 2 cents...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: August 7, 2010, 03:39:16 PM »
One of the problems seems to be you are trying to make a rounded list when you play mostly 2v2 games. It is usually best to make your list focus mostly on one thing while your team mate builds his list for another role that compliments yours. Like one person goes shooty/AT while the other goes assaulty.

Offline Woodnote

• I R n00btastic =)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
I'd say i'm very assaulty, thing is the four of us all play different armies all of the time and we use random teams. I figure it's best just to build a (sort of) well rounded list.