News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330596 times)

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #480 on: October 6, 2015, 12:39:53 AM »
Likewise, cannot wait to see what you do for the Exarch in this squad!

Looking great so far, really looking forward to seeing these guys on the tabletop -- keep up the good work!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #481 on: October 6, 2015, 06:31:33 AM »
@Vonny- Thanks Vonny! Very glad you like them, I'm happy with how they are coming out. Just assembled my entire collection yesterday on their shelves and it was cool to see just how "Corsair" everything is looking. That Corsair conversion kit now features in almost every squad. I'm pumped!

@Ibushi- Thanks man. The Exarch should be very cool. Got a neat conversion idea but gotta be careful with it, cause I don't want to ruin my shredders. I've got just enough to finish the squad.

As for seeing them on the table-top, hopefully the entire squad will be ready for action, cause I've got a 2000pt game against my brother coming up this weekend. We're moving the board from the garage to my studio so we'll have good lighting this time. It'll be nice to get some good photos of the armies clashing on our grey-waste board, matches the terrain much better than the FAT mat, despite how much I love it.

@Everyone- Random question, if I was to do a weekly feature outside of my normal updates, what would you guys want to see? Or is just the normal posts enough? Let me know if you guys have any opinions. Thanks and stay tuned for another bat-rep and more hobby stuff!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #482 on: October 9, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »
I've been thinking on your query, Cavalier, and I'm not sure what I would like in a weekly update.
A unit by unit strength analysis? A background exploration of eldar and eldar culture? more batreps?
I don't think any of these options is realistic or even all that useful (except the more batreps, that's useful!), and I don't think I'm missing all that much from your topic as is. It's already brilliant to follow!
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #483 on: October 10, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
I will have to follow vonny in this, i kinda don't know what you would have on your weekly update, i like that free spirit blog you have ^^ so for me it's not nessecary, while if you want to do it i will gladly accept it non the less :)
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »
I agree with the others. The spontaneous nature of yours is so good now. Don't fix what ain't broke brother.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2015, 12:23:30 PM »
So long as you give us a corsair project update every week, with a battle report as often as possible, the fanbase shall remain engaged!

Really looking forward to that spider exarch!

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »
@Vonny, Grizz, Dread & Ibushi- Alright, cool! Glad you guys are enjoying the updates. So long as you guys aren't bored I'll just make sure I keep the updates coming. The game I had scheduled for this weekend didn't happen, but I'm having a re-match with the Soul Drinkers Battle-Company this weekend so it'll be a big bat-rep for sure. Gonna post a list for review and see what you guys think... be warned its gonna be hardcore! Anyway thanks for the support guys its always appreciated!

So Corsair Spider progress has been made! The entire 8-man squad is completley assembled and base-coated! I've begun work on the Exarch and I'm happy with how's he come out. I modeled him specifically to be at the center of a Deep Strike formation and I think he came out kind of sinister which is cool. Let me know what you think and stay tuned there's much more on the way. Perhaps some more Eldar fortifications... so stay tuned!

Exarch WIP

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #487 on: October 12, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
Awesome dude, love it! The bladed arm is really sweet and makes him pop as different.

My one suggestion for him would be to add something in the way of detailing or contrast colours to his helmet to differentiate one more step. Mostly i just differentiate them by having the Exarchs all be bare-headed, then painting gnarly warpaint on their faces, and having a brighter contrast colour for their banners/ribbons, etc.

Looking really boss man, really excited to see what hardcore list you are going to whip up, hah!

Also I just played a tournament this weekend where the top table finale was against the boys in blue battle company that beat my eldar a few weeks back -- will post a batrep shortly, but suffice to say my anti-battle co measures in my new list were savagely effective.

Cheers

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #488 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:04 PM »
oh wow, that exarch... I'm going weak in the knees over that one.

I like the dual stripes on his shoulder plate as an extra mark of his exarch status, and as always, I love the weird feel these eldar/dark eldar/corsair conversion kit kitbashes create. They look positively awesome.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2015, 08:24:16 AM »
@Ibushi- Thanks man! Yes some cool details on the head may be cool. I actually experimented on an old rogue trader Guardian squad leader painting designs around the eyes and it came out cool (gotta actually finish that mini). Yeah Ibushi I may just PM you to see what you think about my list. My initial fear is that it may be too light on troops but I'm interested to see what you think. Also I saw you updated your bat-rep thread, I'm off to check it in a few minutes! Thanks for your input as always, its truly appreciated!

@Vonny- Wow thanks! I'm really glad you like him. I really wanted to use the Hydra Gauntlets to pull off the conversion (sadly they are all but useless in my poor Wych squads) so it limited the poses I could go with. I'm just glad I was able to pull off the conversion on the gun arm, because I wanted him to have both Hydra-Gauntlets. Glad you like the double stipes, ever since the heraldry system was unveiled for Eldar I've been trying to implement it everywhere.

Also I'm glad you like the weird sort of synthesis of the two. I do want them to look a little more "rogue trader" weird and wild than the official FW Corsair army. Who knows maybe they'll release a Void Storm (close-combat) conversion kit that'll sort take it further in that direction. Anyway thanks so much Vonny, I really appreciate comments. Looking forward to more updates from you!

Online Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2015, 01:32:02 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the old Rogue Trader style paint job.  I think that I still have the box art from the old Rogue Trader Guardian squad around here somewhere.

The painting continues to be of a really high standard.  You've really chosen an excellent colour scheme and style :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #491 on: October 14, 2015, 04:34:22 AM »
Wow as always. Sinister, sharp and deadly. I hope to get my drive back soon. Looking at yours helps to push me that way. Now that I'm full time at work, time has become limited, but this is a good thing.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
@Irisado- Thanks so much Irisado. Its not actually the RT paint job (I could definitley apply the tiger stripes though which look awesome) its just an old proto-Avenger. Really cool model though. As for the paint jobs thank you very much I really appreciate it. The next two groups of models I'm really gonna push myself to go all out, as its going to cap my Eldar collection at least for awhile.

@Dread- Thanks man, always appreciate your input. Looking forward to finishing this squad then the final two squadrons. Its gonna be nice to have legitmate alternate builds for my army. Just swapping a few units here and there is not quite satisfying. That being said I really want to get in an Apocalypse game at some point with the whole collection brought to bear. Around 6000pts fully painted... man that'd be fun.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2015, 07:04:37 AM »
Your awesome army continues to be an inspiration Cavalier.  Thank you. :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #494 on: October 18, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
@Tangi- Thanks buddy!

@Everyone- Bat-rep time! To begin with I don't have any photos for this bat-rep. I got to the store and went to photo our deployment when my phone informed me it was out of memory!!! I couldn't believe it, I spent so much time getting models ready for this game and I couldn't even take photos! Anyhow, this was a very important game as I began to tackle my "evolved" meta with a list that was designed for just such an environment. I wish I had the photos to supplement the report, but text will have to do. I took away a lot of insights from this game so I hope you guys enjoy the report nonetheless.

So after much chatting with my buddy Ibushi I finalized my competitive list. After my Corsairs took a beating at the hands of Space Marine Battle Company and those blistering 9 Las-Cannon Razorbacks, the Librarius Formation supporting 2 Devastator Squads with Ignore Cover I realized fully and truly I needed to bring a more competitive army to the store. As mentioned previously everyone is bringing very competitive lists to the store and it was time for me to do the same.

So fully expecting to face battle-company from good buddy Chris, I brought the best army I could with the models at my disposal. So I saddled up to the table, and to my horror Chris informed me he was bringing Skyhammer Annihilation with Grav-Centurions in drop-pods. This is probably the biggest nightmare matchup for my army! I'd been dreading facing this combination ever since it was unveiled.  So without further ado I'll present the lists and give you the bat-rep.

THE LISTS

Eldar

Autarch- Fusion Gun, Banshee Mask, Firesabre
Archon- Webway Portal, Power Sword, Shadowfield
Wraithguard x5- D-Scythes
Dire Avengers x8
   Wave Serpent
Jetbikes x3- Scatterlasers x3
Kabalite Warriors x5
Warp Spiders x8- Exarch
Hornets x3- Pulse Lasers
Nightwing

Wraithknight- Wraithcannons, Scatter Laser x1

Space Marines

Sternguardx5
   Razorback: TL Lascannons
Sternguardx5
Centurions- Grav-Cannons, Grav-Amps, Omniscopes
   Drop-Pod
Space Marines x5
Space Marines x5
Tech-Priest
   Thunderfire Cannon

Skyhammer Annihlation
Librarian: ML 2: Prescience, Perfect Timing, Foreboding
Devastators- Missile Launchers x4/2x Flakk
   Drop-Pod
Librarian: ML 2: Prescience, Foreboding, Can't Remember
Devastators - Missile Launchers x4/2x Flakk
   Drop-Pod
Assault Squad- Flamers x2
Assault Squad- Flamers x2

Pre-Game Thoughts- Wow I wouldn't have picked a worse match-up. With both the Centurions, Devastators, capable of Drop-Podding in and unloading all turn 1, assisted by the Assault Marines who could assault out of deepstrike, I though I may get tabled by turn 2. Yet little did I realize that I was better prepared for this match-up than I thought, as the virtues of MSU as extolled by Ibushi would come very much into play. Alright no more preamble lets get on with the game!

Deployment
The Marines made a huge battle-line with Sternguard on each flank with Tac Marines in support. Meanwhile the Tech-Marine and his accursed Thunderfire Cannon was situated in a ruin in the middle of his board.

I deployed the Warp Spiders, a unit of Jetbikes and the Wave Serpent on the left flank. The Warriors, another unit of Jetbikes on the right. With a single Jetbike unit in the center... almost everything was out of LOS or had exceptional 4+ cover. I basically tried to separate everything as much as possible but positioning so that the deepstrikers once in, would face almost everything I had left after the dust settled. The Wraithknight, Flyer, Hornets, Wraithguard and HQ's were left in reserves.

Turn 1
Space Marines

So the Space Marines decided to bring the Stormhammer in Turn 2 presumambly in an attempt to expose them to as little fire as possible with the Wraithknight and everyone else in reserves. This meant the Centurions were deepstriking in alone Turn 1. Without a choice target they decided to deploy mid-field in cover and away from the hornets nest of Str 6 I had in my deployment zone. So the Centurions dropped in and waited, while the Thunderfire Cannon and some of the Razorbacks plinked away at my Wave Serpent, and one unit of Jetbikes. I ended up losing only 2 Jetbikes on turn 1, and a hull point on the Serpent! MSU was paying off already.

Eldar

I was very cautious. I spread out the Spiders a bit to avoid the Thundefire Cannon. Moved my Jetbikes only 6 inches or less. I blasted away on side armor on one the Razorbacks. Killing one and dropping another to a single hull point. I then used my Jetbike move to get back out of LOS. Everything else sat tight, bracing for the Hammer fall on turn 2.

Turn 2

Space Marines

This was it... the Skyhammer! So he was very unsure of where to actually deploy everything. Eventually he settled on going after the Spiders, a unit of Jetbikes and the Wave Serpent. Since he deepstruck the Assault Marines one of them scattered onto impassible terrain and went back into on-going reserves. Lucky me! Everything else hit though. One group of Devastators unleashed on the Warp Spiders, but I Flicker Jumped out of LOS. Yet the Assault Marines nearby roasted 4 with double flamers. Meanwhile the other Devastator Squad with Ignores Cover from the Psyker downed the Wave Serpent. Thunderfire Cannon let rip, but scattered wildly and I passed all my saves on the Warp Spiders. Everything else was out of position of my units all hiding out LOS. I can't tell you how anxious I was during this turn but crafty deployment saved me big time. Now it was time for a Deepstrike assault of my own!

Eldar

Rolled for Reserves and EVERYTHING came in. Hornets came in and blew up a Razorback. The Wraithknight came in blew up a Razorback and killed the Thunderfire Cannon. The Nightwing came in and blew up another Razorback. The Jetbikes came out and blew up another Razorback! The Wraithguard came in and killed the Centurions. The Warp Spiders and the other Jetbikes killed the Assault Squad and then everything flitted out LOS once again. Wow... this was one of the most devastating turns I've ever unleashed. I killed every single tank in his army in a single turn! Marines were left scattered across the field with only the Librarians left to support them.

WRAP UP

So unfortunately the rest of the game was a mop up action. By turn 5 he had only 4 models left on the board. I had faced the dreaded Skyhammer and had my way with it. It was a satisfying win, but I did feel bad for my opponent. This is not the play-style I prefer, nor do I like seeing my opponents get crushed when I consider them friends. But the other players in the store are bringing very tough lists and I wanted to bring a list thats fully up to the challenge. Chris complained about the Wraithguard,and while they are beyond brutal, I contended that 2 units of Deepstriking Relentless Devastators, Krak Grenade Assault Marines that can charge after deepstriking, and deepstriking Centurions that are pumping out 24 Ap2 shots is just as brutal as a single unit of Wraithguard even if they are slinging modified D.

The big take away for me is that MSU works, and works very very well. Its also important to have more than one build of your army. This doesnt mean a few unit swaps, but a totally different build. Being able to go from Mech to an MSU/Bike list is huge. I also have a 3rd style of army that is soon to be unveiled in my final Eldar upgrade before moving to another army for awhile.

Anyway big shout out to Ibushi for advising me on constructing my new build, I really appreciate it man! Anyway stay tuned for more updates very soon. A brutal new addition to the collection is soon to be unveiled!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:47:40 AM by Cavalier »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #495 on: October 18, 2015, 09:08:49 AM »
A brutal match-up indeed. Fantastic use of playing on Eldar strengths and monopolizing on your opponents weaknesses. I fully appreciate the well thought out list you brought. Everything had a purpose and played off each others strengths while minimizing their weaknesses. You didn't have to spam any units or rely heavily on a magic die roll to get invisibility. Bravo!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2015, 01:32:03 PM »
@Dog of War- Thanks man. Definitely a very very powerful list but I'm happy that you appreciated the non-spam, psychic free baseline of the list. I'm not trying make an unbeatable list, just one that does what I want it to do. Still not my preferred play-style but fun nonetheless. Thanks man!

As per a request from Ibushi I decided to include some army pics just so you guys could see what it looked like on the tabletop.

But... wait... whats that? INCOMING!!!!!!

So yes here's the teaser image for one of the remaining 3 mysterious purchases for my Eldar army! Thats right its a Crimson Hunter. Wasn't a fan of this model when it came out but after seeing it on the great Scorpion82's channel I fell in love. I'm gonna go all out painting this. So stay tuned for that!

Anyway here's pics of the army I brought. Its one Avenger short but you get the idea.

Also tomorrow I begin work on my new Autarch! I love the one I kitbashed but its time for an upgrade. I've got about 5 Archons/Autarchs but I really want to upgrade the one I've got. So expect some exciting new models on the plog this week.

Also tune into my brother's project log, the great Cadian Command #6. He's new to the forum so pay him a visit. Anyway guys thats it for today. Stay tuned and thanks for stopping by!

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #497 on: October 19, 2015, 02:20:55 PM »
Looking Fantastic Cav, and really looking forward to some closeups on that warp spider unit once its done. I am a big fan of homebrew warp spider models, as the old ones are just too static.

Also very curious to see what you have cooking for ANOTHER autarch model. It is so much fun doing and redoing those characters from time to time, I'm sure you have some stylish and epic in mind.

Well played in that batrep, your deployment and movement choices really threw a series of spanners in his works, and let you just take him apart from comfortable positions. Nicely done. Unfortunate about not having pictures, but at least might have made the other guy feel a bit better. Reserving the wraithknight sounds like a good call here too -- usually I wouldnt do that, but it paid off against the centstar in spades.

Any more matchups in the works? And how are you thinking of changing your army list from here moving forward?

Cheers
Ibushi

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
Thanks so much Ibushi. I'm very eager to finish up the Warp Spider unit as well. I've got some new gold paints from the Age of Sigmar range so I'm looking forward to see if they are a bit brighter than Sycorax Bronze which while a very close match for my testors gold primer takes a number of layers to get right.

The Autarch model should be very cool. I debuted him a few pages back but getting some paint on him will be good.

As for the bat-rep yes, its like the tournament players always say. The game is won in the deployment and movement. As an Eldar player you have to divide their firepower, and pull them in as many directions as possible. If you can do that you have the movement and range of fire to isolate and destroy units of high priority. As for the reserving the Wraithknight, its something I don't like doing but will under the right circumstances. I'm very much used to that really intense Turn 1 where everything is in reserves where the potential to get tabled turn 1 is a possibility. Yet having  jetbike moves and flicker jumps made this game much more manageable.

As for future games, I've actually got a game of Space Hulk coming up for my Dark Angels. One of my opponents who I've not played in a long time is wanting a game and after beating me twice in a row a rematch is in order. Yet I may play against my brother before then.

As for future army plans... the INSANE new Forgeworld Corsair rules have utterly blown my mind. Incredible new command paths for the Corsair Princes, New Wraithknights, old school Webway Portal, ridiculously awesome Corsair Jetbikes, Corsair close-combat units with awesome Combat Drugs, D-Slinging Warp Hunter (time to bust mine out again) cheaper Nightwing (more expensive Hornets which makes sense) has probably hit the brakes on my plans to do Dark Angels. Just when I thought I was out they drew me back in! lol

The only reason I was ready to start another army was because there were no more units that fit my playstyle that I wanted to incorporate into my army. Yet these revamped Corsair rules look absolutely top-tier to me and with backwards compatible modelling I essentially have a legit Corsair army good to go! So I'm going to finish my flyer themed third list, maybe pickup a few Jetbike units and wait for Imperial Armor 11! I really cannot wait. The new models look fantastic and I'm dying to read all the rules myself and actually play the campaign. So thats what I'm looking at now... it was really the last thing I expected but I couldn't be more excited. Its a great time to be an Eldar player :)

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
Hey there cav... you seriously never cease to amaze me ... everytime i read an update in here my jaw drops in admiration. Your army really stand out a hell lot... it gkves such a powerfull vibes on this table it's really awesome stuff you have.

Onto the game, this list certainly was really nasty... and omg how efficient were you to utilise the strenght of the formdr quoted dead list... that was awesome tactical fkght, utilksk g the strenght of your composition with swift strike and use of cover. I'm guessing msu stand for multiple small unit, guessing from your list, am i correct?

I'm really looking forward to what you will bring us for the next update ^^ that crimson hunter surely will be cool looking in your army theme. I used to not like the model much either but i've changed my mind since then, iguess the crimson death formation from the "tabletops tactics" youtube channele really made me love the model ^^ it's on par with the quality of StrikingScorpion82's video if you want to check it out.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member