News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mechanicus  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Mechanicus
« on: December 30, 2018, 01:56:35 AM »
So, has anyone checked out mechanics? For those who have not heard of it, it's a tactics game in the same vein as XCOM, featuring the mechanics. Now, I know most 40k tactics games have an ill repute, but this one is a golden exception. Check out the steam reviews, they are very positive.

It's mechanicus vs. Necrons xcom squad tactics combat. Every infantry model from the current ranges are in the game. The graphics are beautiful by the way, especially the special effects.

The premise of the game is to destroy a necron tomb world before it fully awakens. Every decision and battle outcome effects the next in doomsday timer. There is a cast of characters that all speak in binary, and offer missions to further their own goals.how you choose to go about them will lead to one of a number of endings.

JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
Re: Mechanicus
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 06:46:39 AM »
I've only heard good things about Mechanicus. I love the X-Com games and look forward to Mechanicus coming out on either Mac or PS4. Unfortunately I don't have any 1st hand experience of this game.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
I've got it. It just hasn't hit the spot for me so I've stopped playing for the time being. There's an *awful* lot of exposition all the time as the different Magos just be-atch at each other. They've just patched and rebalanced it so when I return the experience may be different. In the early stages your tactical board is *very* small so there's not a lot of actually clever moving around as much as just going forward and maybe a little sideways.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:39 AM »
I've only heard good things about Mechanicus. I love the X-Com games and look forward to Mechanicus coming out on either Mac or PS4. Unfortunately I don't have any 1st hand experience of this game.

You need a traditional PC
, Loosh ;D!

I've got it. It just hasn't hit the spot for me so I've stopped playing for the time being. There's an *awful* lot of exposition all the time as the different Magos just be-atch at each other. They've just patched and rebalanced it so when I return the experience may be different. In the early stages your tactical board is *very* small so there's not a lot of actually clever moving around as much as just going forward and maybe a little sideways.

It gets better once you start taking on missions that are beyond the starting ones. It also gets more difficult as reinforcements become more frequent and more enemy types start being mixed in. Levels seem to be getting more complex?

The Next in Deathmark is absolutely brutal. It one hit killed my servitors and two, maybe three shot my tech priests. Each shot, it phases out of reality and appears somewhere else on the map. If you hit it, it still phases, but goes into overwatch.

The destroyer, well, is quite aptly named in the game too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:53:50 AM by Myen'Tal »
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »
Found a pretty funny, quick video of it.

Snipe and Wib Play: Mechanicus - YouTube